Can plants hear?

RexRed

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 10:20 am
Can they sense the vibrations of sound in the air? Do ordinary house plants have brains or cognitive abilities to understand things? Smile

RexRed

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 10:45 am
The root system of a plant very much resembles the nerve stem and ganglion network of the human cerebral cortex and the flower apparatus resembles very much the human hearing mechanism. A flower is aware of the wind because of the pollen it produces and is suited to use the wind (of which sound is carried). Also the bee makes a buzzing sound which transfers to the flower vibrations and the flower may be able to hear/feel/sense this sound or the bee’s buzzing would have no evolutionary purpose.
maporsche

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 10:48 am
@RexRed,
I thought you didn't believe in evolution.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 10:59 am
@RexRed,
I do not know if cognition can be applied to plants. However, plants have been known to react to cyclical events like lunar phases. During college, I worked as a lab assistant for a biology professor whose experiments showed a correlation between lunar phases and the rate of water absorption by plants.
RexRed

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 11:05 am
@maporsche,
I believe evolution and an old earth are both taught in the book of Genesis. Let the earth bring forth... Formed humans from the dust of the ground etc.

The Bible speaks of an earth before the fall of lucifer and before Eden. A prehistoric earth before time was perceived by life on earth.
RexRed

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 11:09 am
@wandeljw,
All it takes for cognition are a few memory cells connected by some nerve tissue. Even bacteria, living cells seem to have "souls".
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:46 pm
Plants don't have nerve cells, neurons or "memory" cells
NickFun

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:30 pm
@RexRed,
Plants can most definitely hear! You should hear some of the things the Rose bush told me. Not to mention the neighborhood gossip the Rhododenrums pick up!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:44 pm
@RexRed,
I don't know if plants can hear but it's abundantly clear that they make much better use of their brains than you do.
NickFun

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 11:48 pm
@JTT,
Hey JTT. It was a joke. Lighten up.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 07:54 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Plants don't have nerve cells, neurons or "memory" cells

True, but any atom can be used to store memory...
rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 09:48 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
True, but any atom can be used to store memory...

What are you talking about?
RexRed

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 09:53 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
What are you talking about?

Oxygen based memory is not the only life forms capable of computing.

There are atomic clocks that creatures are aware of even humans have several kinds of "intelligences" going on within the body.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:33 pm
@RexRed,
Why am I on a RexRed thread. I should have known better.
RexRed

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 01:24 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Why am I on a RexRed thread. I should have known better.

The subject of this thread is just a thought Ros. The delicate relationship between plant and animal is of interest to me.

I am sure many scientists were ridiculed for believing in microbes before they were actually observed/discovered.

Considering many plants have thousands of bacteria species living upon them just as humans do so the symbiotic relationship between bacteria, mold, fungus, spores and plant intelligence is still being understood by science. Can a bacteria hear? If it could not “communicate” with other bacteria and such it would die.

To rule out plant intelligence i.e. five senses, is possibly narrow sighted.

How does the plant "see" and respond to sunlight, with eyes? No, but they have a similar chemical mechanism that allows them to "see" and “feel” sunlight.

Why can't similar chemical process also be employed for the plant to hear? Considering that millions of terabytes of data can be stored upon a single atom and that the human mind is a carbon based computer, nature has many secrets that science still has not unraveled yet.

We look at canines and realize their sense of smell is a thousand times more keen/acute than our own why couldn't a plants ability to "hear" and store data be even greater than that of the human mind? We just don’t know yet. Plants and biology are so vital to human life that survival of human life is dependant upon survival of biology also. Plant life is vital to the survival of nearly all other life forms on earth.

When so much is unknown, why diminish the possibilities out of some stoic traditional goldfish pond view of life and its purpose? I know just because I can twist scientific words in wishful sophistry does not make my conclusions correct.

It is wild to imagine plant intelligence and that they pass on knowledge of ages past in their cellular structure and they not only hear the world but they have left a record of their existence within. We can look within and read the story that plants tell us as if they were in the same room conversing with us.

Many doctors can read a patient without speaking with them I wonder how plants "read" the human race? What do these living plants, that we share this tiny globe called earth with, think of us?

Smile
RexRed

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 01:42 pm
The "tree of knowledge" can it hear and speak? Smile
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 02:22 pm
@RexRed,
Rex - you could always move to Switzerland; there is a movement for "plant rights"
http://www.ekah.admin.ch/uploads/media/e-Broschure-Wurde-Pflanze-2008.pdf

After reading it I decided I can still give apples and carrots to horses (and eat them myself) but I must first ponder their intrinsic worth - some kind of Grace, far as I could figure out. Some neo-spiritual view of sorts. Read it and let me know.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 02:57 pm

i heard it through the grape vine...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 07:21 pm
Salad is murder, carrots scream when you scrape them. Smile
0 Replies

actionbuddylee

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 04:56 pm
@rosborne979,
I don't know where you get your information, maybe try a school that actually teaches a decent botany class. Plants are equipped with neuronal molecules. Specifically synaptotagmins and glutamate/glycine-gated glutamate receptors located in the root system. This allows the plant to react to its enviroment, remember, adapt and even communicate with other plants through chemical signaling.