How much ice do you like in your soda?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Not disagreeing w/robert re ice experience with sodas - I have trouble drinking coca cola straight either, unless I'm wanting to excoriate my esophagus - which I occasionally do.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:31 pm
@ossobuco,
osso wrote:
A timed experience in a glass.

Well said.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:57 pm
@George,
George wrote:

I once went visiting and brought the hostess a couple of bottles of wine. When
she poured some for herself, she added ice cubes. The next time I brought wine
to her house, it was from the bargain rack.

I don't blame you, George! White wine you chill anyway and red wine should have room temperature to appreciate the taste. You can dilute cheap red wine
with mineral water or white wine with apple juice - I actually like that in the
summer time, but you never dilute good, expensive wine.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 05:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
you never dilute good, expensive wine.

For sure.

I'm not much of a neat booze drinker, while I like good wine. So I might do the ice time thing re booze, I wouldn't with good wine.
mismi

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 05:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
unless I'm wanting to excoriate my esophagus - which I occasionally do.

ohhh I like a good burn from soda - makes my eyes water!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 05:21 pm
@mismi,
I continue to like the excoriation - probably accounting for some of my interest in a couple of bubbly mineral waters with real minerals (gerolsteiner, pellegrino, apollonaris high on my available list, one of em has more sodium) - I'm off of all the sweet crappolette, not from virtue, just changing taste.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 11:16 pm
I take no ice, both because I want more pop, and because I hate watered down pop. I like it freezing cold, room temperature, or anywhere in between. I don't store cans in the fridge, I store them in the cabinet (Keep in mind it starts out colder then room temperature, because of the pressure).

I drink pop very slowly, though. I open a can in the morning, and sip on it all day (~8 hrs). If I hold a can up to my ear, and its making noise, then its still good. That is usually around 10-12 hours, by my experience.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 11:23 pm
if I am home I want a lot of ice, If I buy a glass of soda that is not free refill I always say "lite ice" because over the last decade or so fast food places have way overdone the ice in order to save money. There is no reason to have 40+% of the weight be ice when the soda from the fountain is chilled before it goes into the cup, as it always is because otherwise it would foam over and be a pain to serve.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 11:32 pm
@Nick Ashley,
"I hear soft drink cans."

Here, we generally get a glass with as much ice as we want, and the actual bottle/can of soft drink...so no matter how much ice you want (I like the glass almost full of ice in hot weather) you get the same amount of soft drink.

Except in cinemas.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 12:01 am
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:
(Keep in mind it starts out colder then room temperature, because of the pressure).

It's still a warm can of soda to everyone in the world other than you. I don't know how you can do it. Drunk
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 04:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

With that in mind, what I oppose is that crushed ice that some places use. With normal ice that has space for some of the soda it's hard to put in too much for me. But if you fill the cup with shaved ice there's little more than two gulps of liquid in it. That's not cool.

What drives me crazy is when restaurants use ice to be deliberately cheap. Case in point, Zaxby's chicken. This is a chain medium-fast-food place that specializes in mostly breaded chicken strips. Now chicken is the 2nd least-expensive meat on the planet, and they get entree prices.

Their chicken strips are not really better than average, but they have a unique atmosphere and some special sides other places don't generally offer.

Anyway, my local Zaxby's sells a regular 21-oz soda self-serve style, but the cashier scoops the ice into the cup for you. It is crushed ice, and every time I've been there, it is scooped full to the top, which means to me that this is company policy.

Needless to say, a 21-oz soda with that much ice in it holds only about six ounces of Coke.

As if this weren't bad enough, their fountains are trimmed to be very dilute. I dumped my ice out and drank the Coke straight and it was still weak.

You know, if I'm going to pay $1.50 for a fountain Coke, don't rip me off!

I quit going to Zaxby's because I never once felt I received my money's worth.
0 Replies

abra5

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 06:02 am
@mac11,
No ice!!
0 Replies

MissSparkle

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 03:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
When I make soda I like to put 5 cubes of ice each time. No more and no less. LOL. It's perfect temperature for me.
aidan

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 04:19 pm
@MissSparkle,
I like lots of ice - in cubes. I drink the drink (usually iced tea, if I'm in the US and they have brewed iced tea) and then I eat the ice cubes. I actually look forward to that. And if I don't eat all the ice cubes before I have to go in a store or something, I leave the cup in the cupholder and then I drink the nice cold water when I get back. So I get two drinks in one (and the second one is actually healthier for me).
I've never heard of diluting wine though. I usually drink it at room temp.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 04:55 pm
Believe it or not, shipping ice from Massachusetts to the West Indies in the 19th century was done in small ships full of sawdust. Wenham Lake ice was popular in the upper class homes of London.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1/scribners5sawing.jpg

Back in the early 70's I ordered a rum and coke at an outdoor cafe in Valencia Spain. The drink arrived sans ice but with an ice cube and a pair of miniature tongs in a saucer
djjd62

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 05:00 pm
@panzade,
in the mid 1970's the town of killarney on the shores of georgian bay still had an ice house that was full of ice chopped from the lake in the winter, the ice house was carved out of the rock that makes up the canadian shield, and was below the level of the water, the ice was kept in huge blocks and packed in sawdust
panzade

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 05:04 pm
@djjd62,
marvelous dj Smile
0 Replies

mirudhulla

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 11:43 pm
2 cubes...
0 Replies