How many congressmen do observe Rosh Hashanah?

SYNRON

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 10:45 pm
@ebrown p,
Oh, ebrown p. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Walter is a very fine researcher. He means no harm. He just doesn't know that much about Rosh Hashanah. They don't do that in Europe any more, don't you know?
SYNRON

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 10:46 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Are you Anti-semetic too? Wow!
0 Replies

mason738

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:26 pm
@ebrown p,
I think every major religious group has the right to take days off to observe. However, there very well may be instances where this would not be feasible. In case, for example, and God Forbid, of a major terrorist attack on any part of the USA.
0 Replies

mason738

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:26 pm
@ebrown p,
I think every major religious group has the right to take days off to observe. However, there very well may be instances where this would not be feasible. In case, for example, and God Forbid, of a major terrorist attack on any part of the USA.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:32 pm
@SYNRON,
SYNRON wrote:
They don't do that in Europe any more, don't you know?

As said (see my above posts) Jews observe it, if possible.
(Generally, we just "do" public holidays here.)
mason738

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I think that is a shame. I am a religious person and I do think that Europe has become far too secularized. There should be some governmental recognition of religious holidays, if only to honor old traditions.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:46 pm
@mason738,
Well, most of our public holidays are of Christian origin - like the two Christmas days, two Easter days, two Pentecost days, Ascension Day, Corpus Christi, All Saints Day (which you call 'Halloween') ....

Depending on in which state you live, you've between 9 and 12 public holidays.
And if you want a day of because your religious holiday isn't a public holiday: anyone has by labour law at least 24 working days paid holidays (most have 28, many 30). So you'll have the change to observe whatever you want to.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:48 pm
@mason738,
mason738 wrote:

I am a religious person and I do think that Europe has become far too secularized. There should be some governmental recognition of religious holidays, if only to honor old traditions.

Church and state are divided here. Since quite some time. (Sterted in Germany more than 200 years ago.)
mason738

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh, they are in the United States too,but since the USA is listed as being 85% Christian, politicians make certain that they respect the holidays-especially important religious ones like Christmas and Easter. I am sure that you know, sir, that the Soviets tried to abolish religious holidays and the devout went underground. You can't kill an idea!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 01:48 pm
@mason738,
Really? I've seen a lot of adverts for special Christmas shopping, never heard that Easter or Pentecost Monday is a public holiday in the USA (or Ascension or ...).

But thanks for the info.

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 02:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
walter wrote ;

Quote:
never heard that Easter or Pentecost Monday is a public holiday in the USA

we have certainly done plenty of shopping in NYC on good friday and easter monday .
the nearest city across the border from us is watertoown , ny . we often get special advertising flyers from the watertown stores asking us to "shop on good friday" .
thinking hard , i believe the only day all stores in ontario (except corner stores) are closed in canada is dec. 25 !
HAPPY SHOPPING !
there are only XX number of shopping days left until christmas - get with the action , will ya !
hbg

HO , HO , HO ! AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS !
(let the cash registers jingle !)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41082000/jpg/_41082486_santa_afp.jpg
0 Replies

SYNRON

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 02:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Mason--Walter Hinteler is among the most intelligent persons on these threads. Don't you know that about the Germans? You really should do some reading about the 20th Century.
0 Replies