Comfort - need it - having panic attacks.....

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 12:32 pm
What a Wonderful World
mismi

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 12:51 pm
@djjd62,
That song makes me cry...sooooo sweet

Chai - these are good things. Printing them out to put over my sink.
chai2

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:17 pm
@mismi,
maybe it's just the way I responded mismi, but reading something while having a PA would have made things worse. External stimulus is what set them off.

That's why I suggested looking down, and concentrating on your breath and the slow count.

While you're not paying attention to your body and the fact you're obviously dying, you come down.

Seriously, how often do you get these? What are the symptoms?

I never want to have another one in my life.

mismi

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:32 pm
@chai2,
Panicky - feeling I have no control...heavy chest, hard to breathe. Can't think clearly - just want reassurance about EVERYTHING. Everything feels wrong.

When I am not in the middle of them I can see that I am ok.
Izzie

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:38 pm
@mismi,
Ahhhhhhh Mis!

What to say!.... You are so loved girlie.

There is so much good in the world........... there is lots of happy.

"What is good about life?"

For me....for one.... having you part of mine.

mismi

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:39 pm
@mismi,
Really - just started having them the last couple of days...but I am not as busy lately - cracked my elbow falling off a four foot retaining wall in the back yard. Grace..that's me. Anyway...because I can't do that much I am not as busy and I am hearing more about all the crap that is going on and the more I hear the more scared I get and really - my husband says we will be fine...just trying to take it one day at a time...will be glad when I get this elbow well so I can do like I was before...being busy is the BEST thing.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:40 pm
@Izzie,
Quote:
For me....for one.... having you part of mine.

No...having you part of mine...thanks Izzie. I should not complain.

Hugs hun.
Izzie

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:46 pm
@mismi,
You're not complaining girlie....

you have real feelings there... panic is panic.... even if everything is ticketyboo - you can still feel it. You are.

Please don't lessen your feelings coz other stuff is going on with other folk.

Just know that the "feeling out of control" - there are ways that you can try to help feel less anxious.

Will leave Deb and t'others to advise you there sweetie...

love you Mis. x

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:47 pm
dr. joy browne suggests square breathing, inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, repeat

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 01:53 pm
@djjd62,
and a shot of cold patron after each exhale....
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:03 pm
Give yourself a break from bad news, mismi. Don't watch TV, listen to talk radio or read the papers. Avoid the political threads here like the plague. Play word games, search youtube for happy music and comic relief. Nothing wrong with avoidance in the short term. (All the breathing exercises mentioned are really helpful.)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:08 pm
I haven't read every single reply, and if this has been mentioned, I apologize. One tactic for dealing with mild panic attacks is to snap a rubber band on your wrist--just on the under (palm up) side. Don't wear the rubber band so tight that you're aware of it, but when you feel a panic attack coming on snap that rubber band--not enough to hurt but enough to feel--and whistle, sing, anything while focusing on the sensation of that rubber band until the panic attack subsides.

This only works for mild attacks. You could need short term medical or psychological intervention for the mean scary attacks that make you feel like you're dying or something.

And for the good times, put a beautiful scene that makes you happy on your computer desk top and hang an interesting painting where you can see it often. Indulge in a favorite flower in a bud vase where you can see it. Enjoy music that you never tire of hearing again and again or favorite movies that you lose yourself in. Understand that knowing somebody else's problems are worse than your own does not make yours any more comfortable to bear and it is okay to not want to have those problems.

But also know that when we have a roof over our head, food to eat, clothes to wear, and a few comforts and pleasures of life including people we enjoy and love, we are rich beyond measure and that is something we can count as serious blessings.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:19 pm
@mismi,
Hello Mrs. Mismi.....and thank you for the welcome back.
I'm here for you.
Time will surely pass. You've probally been in these negative phases before, and come out fine. Stop watching the news for a few days. That drama can knock a smile off a horse.
Here's a pocket full of sunshine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2XcqKaXDIY&feature=rec-fresh
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:33 pm
@dlowan,
Dlowan, I think I found it - or at least one thread on anxiety/panic disorders :

http://able2know.org/topic/16840-1
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:41 pm
@ossobuco,
If that's it, mismi found it first..
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:56 pm
Wear Sunscreen
JLNobody

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 02:59 pm
@alex240101,
I agree with Alex. We need to keep our balance and, maybe to do so by passively watching our breath. That will soothe us and restore perspective. The only thing that might panic me is a repeat of the Bush reelection absurdity. It seems possible that we could elect McCain despite his consistent demonstration of poor judgement (his selection of Palin is only one of a string of misjudgements), including his penchant for short-term solutions in the face of long-term needs and problems.
I sure hope this posts.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 03:04 pm
@djjd62,
wow...good stuff dj...wow wow wow - thanks

Thanks Tai Chi - a break from the news is welcome. Totally stinks right now. Every word feels like a brick being laid on my chest. I hate reality. I know I have to live there - but yuck.

Alex - thank you - It's true...I will wade through it soon enough I am sure. LOVE a pocket full of sunshine! Thank you - how are your pickles by the way?

Foxfyre - thank you - good words...

Osso - I was looking it up a week or so ago..have read through some of it. Not finished yet. Mainly looking for reassurance.
jespah

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 04:42 pm
Good news, hmm, my neighbor's puppy is the cutest thing. He's dark brindle with a white belly with a few spots. He's named Smoky. I don't think he knows his name yet.

Weather is cooling and leaves are turning. We were at my brother's house in Maryland over the weekend and saw a fox. And here s/he is:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/jespah301/Fox.jpg

I'm not a great photographer but I love the reds, oranges and purples with the greens.

So many things are so wonderful. Wacky things. Sandals. Statues of Buddha. Good-smelling conditioner. The sound of French being spoken. Finger snapping. Magic shows. Sports bloopers. Fluffy towels. Toothpaste. I dunno. Lots of little miracles, all over the place, everywhere you look.
mismi

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 05:34 pm
@jespah,
These are nice Jespah...puppy breath is lovely. Little arms around my neck without my asking is absolutely breathtaking. There are many little things that are quite nice. Thank you.