edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:59 am
@JPB,
I read that. Nobody is speaking out just now, but there will be repercussions down the road. People will not forget.
JPB

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 09:14 am
@edgarblythe,
I agree that now is not the best time to point fingers, edgar. There's plenty of time for that later and I'm sure there will be fingers aplenty to point.

Energies are now best spent on recovery.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 09:43 pm
@JPB,
UTMB's future in doubt after Hurricane Ike

06:13 PM CDT on Monday, October 6, 2008

By Lee McGuire / 11 News

GALVESTON -- One of the state's premier medical research facilities is learning the hard way, at least on its first floor, that there is very little that can be saved after Hurricane Ike. Floodwaters swamped every building at UTMB with 750,000 square feet of infrastructure, including the pharmacy and blood bank, gone.

State and federal officials including U.S. Rep Sheila Jackson Lee, who toured UTMB on Monday, have pledged to see Galveston's largest employer rebuild.

However, once it is repaired, what will the 600-bed hospital, research hub and medical university look like?

Officials with UTMB and the UT System met all day behind closed doors on Monday to discuss everything from where to hold classes, to the future of research at the Galveston branch, to whether the hospital will play the same central role to southeast Texas healthcare that it did before the hurricane.

“It's important for people in the state of Texas to know that his hospital is committed to its reopening, but also committed to serving,” said Jackson Lee.

Employees of UTMB will find out the institution's fate during a town hall meeting at noon on Tuesday. One official briefed on the latest plan told 11 News that the message UT System Chancellor Kenneth Shine will present is “concerning,” and that the planning sessions on Monday were not joyful.

“I can't say what pre-Ike levels we are going to attain, because it's taken New Orleans so long (to recover),” said UTMB spokesman Dr. Ben Raimer. “I know because of good planning that's gone in that we will get back much quicker.”

After the 1900 Storm, UTMB's dean suggested that the Galveston branch should close forever. Instead, it grew stronger.

The question now is, can it happen again?

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 07:37 am
High Island, Texas after Ike

http://www.treehugger.com/oil-slick-off-texas-hurricane-ike.jpg

http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygreen/images/X4/oil-slick-hurricane-ike-md.jpg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 08:41 pm
Quote:
Congress Vows $100 Million to Red Cross After It Asks for Aid

By Philip Rucker
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 8, 2008; Page A07

Congress will give the American Red Cross $100 million in emergency funding to replenish its disaster relief reserves, which were depleted as the charity plunged into debt to provide shelter, food and other services during a string of hurricanes this summer.

In an unusual move, the Red Cross asked Congress for $150 million last month. The nonprofit organization, which operates largely on private donations, last turned to the federal government for help in responding to disasters in 2004, when it received $70 million in federal aid after four hurricanes hit Florida. Some critics say that by seeking federal assistance, it risks blurring its status as an independent charity.

Congress appropriated $100 million last week for the Red Cross, to be distributed through the Department of Homeland Security

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/07/AR2008100701914.html?hpid=moreheadlines

tax payers, banks, insurance companies, the auto makers, the red cross....everyone is getting cash from Uncle Sam. The Federal Government is LOADED!....Who knew??
0 Replies