Who won the debate? Obama or McCain?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 09:08 pm
@okie,
Very funny, okie, from the same people who keep blaming Clinton for all the current problems after eight years of Bush.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 09:09 pm
@okie,
Well, truth be told, there are no more notches on your name on my gun handle.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 09:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
ci, its a case of Mr. Slickster, known as Barack Obama, trying to weasel out of what he said. He is as bad as you. You both can't admit saying something and admitting you are just.......wrong, ci.

By the way, I could point out some other whoppers in the debate by Obama. Perhaps not outright lies, but fairytales of hopes, thats for sure. His goals and actual policies to reach those goals don't match.

Spinning this talks without preconditions, all the spin about this, reminds me again all the finesse it took to spin WMD and intel in Iraq. Boy, that was no surprise, given the same old thing on just one little point, so obvious, yet so mysteriously spun again by you guys in favor of your man, Obama.
okie

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 09:19 pm
@okie,
Have a good evening, ci. I suggest you figure out there is a difference between diplomatic contacts and a president sitting down for official talks with a rogue leader with no preconditions. This is so elementary and simple. See if you can figuire it out. And if you do, call your guy, Obama, and explain it to him.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 09:20 pm
McCain kept telling us during the debate how Obama made so many mistakes in the past. How about McCain's choice of Palin?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 09:46 pm
@okie,
It was funny seeing Kissinger on video saying one thing, and then having the McCain campaign release a statement saying that Kissinger had said the opposite. Were they the only ones who didn't see the video?

They should have left that point alone - it made it even more obvious that McCain had goofed that bit up. It probably could have drifted away without them calling attention to it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:30 pm
@okie,
No, okie, Obama had it right on principle from the very beginning; the majority of Americans including republicans believe in diplomacy with our enemies.

You probably haven't learned much on history, but it was not that long ago who our enemies used to be, and now are our allies. The opposite is also true; try to figure that one out on your own - if you can.

Kissinger's history also speaks to diplomacy with our enemies; study him and his thesis about it.

0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:45 pm
@okie,
Quote:
Spinning this talks without preconditions, all the spin about this, reminds me again all the finesse it took to spin WMD and intel in Iraq. Boy, that was no surprise, given the same old thing on just one little point, so obvious, yet so mysteriously spun again by you guys in favor of your man, Obama.

Boy talk about revisionist history there okie.

In any case, it seems both had fudged on the debate.

The following is a whole laundry list from factcheck on newsweek.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/161148

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:54 pm
@revel,
okie has skills in revisionist history, and also skills in imagination to expand on ideas not stated or implied.
okie

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 04:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
ci, you guys are just intellectually dishonest, aren't you. I used to think you were just biased, but this little debate seems to demonstrates you are worse than that. You are either just very dumb or intentionally twisting the truth to what you want it to be. Again, Secretary of State is not a president. Diplomatic contacts do not equate to the president sitting down without preconditions. Stop twisting it, people.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 04:47 pm
@okie,
Quote:
You are either just very dumb or intentionally twisting the truth to what you want it to be.
Laughing
okie

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 04:50 pm
@dyslexia,
Dys, if you can prove that kissinger ever advocated a president sit down with a rogue leader without preconditions, be my guest. One simple rule, diplomatic contacts by anyone other than the president does not count. That was the point being argued between Obama and McCain. ci, the same challenge is thrown at you, or anyone on this forum for that matter. If you can't put up, then shut up.
sozobe

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:03 pm
@okie,
No, Obama wasn't saying that either. He said "of course not" when McCain phrased it that way.

Meanwhile, came here to post this:

Marc Ambinder wrote:
LATimes: Debate Shifts Perceptions Of Obama

Forget the top-line numbers -- note that the poll "indicated that the younger, less-experienced Obama has made strides since last week in convincing Americans that he can handle the toughest challenges facing the country, including the economy and international affairs. Obama was seen as more "presidential" by 46% of the debate watchers, compared with 33% for McCain. The difference is even more pronounced among debate watchers who were not firmly committed to a candidate: 44% said they believed Obama looked more presidential, whereas 16% gave McCain the advantage."

Not a single post-debate poll gave the advantage to Sen. McCain.

(Emphasis mine.)

The L.A. Times poll:

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-poll29-2008sep29,0,57477.story
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:08 pm
@okie,
okie, Who even suggested that the secretary of state is the president? Your imagination runs all over the board, and most times doesn't make much sense. There are some givens that do not require your definition or clarity; they are "common knowledge" issues that most people understand. Comprende?

Repeat: We "all" know that the secretary of state is not the president.

dyslexia

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:09 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Dys, if you can prove that kissinger ever advocated a president sit down with a rogue leader without preconditions, be my guest. One simple rule, diplomatic contacts by anyone other than the president does not count. That was the point being argued between Obama and McCain. ci, the same challenge is thrown at you, or anyone on this forum for that matter. If you can't put up, then shut up.
no okie, it wasn't.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Obama Moves Up, McCain Down in Poll
By Gallup.com

(Sept. 28) - Barack Obama leads John McCain, 50% to 42% among registered voters in the latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking update for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday -- just one point shy of his strongest showing of the year.
These results, from Sept. 25-27, span the time period since John McCain made the announcement that he was temporarily suspending his campaign and returning to Washington to work for a bipartisan solution to the financial crisis, and since Congressional leaders first announced progress towards the resolution of a financial bailout bill
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:14 pm
@okie,
No spinning needed: The Bush administration negotiated with Libya, and the following will provide you with a little bit of history.
Quote:

Ira Chernus | May 23, 2008

Editor: John Feffer

George W. Bush made headlines when he celebrated Israel’s 60th anniversary by warning the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, against the “false comfort of appeasement.” The two words that sounded most loudly were the ones that Bush did not actually say: “Obama” and “Munich.”

The Washington Post’s Dan Balz summed up the general consensus: “More than anything said so far by John McCain, Bush's comments … signaled what the principle Republican attack line will be in the campaign against Obama.” The White House officially denied the charge even as it privately confirmed the strategy. And when reporters asked McCain to respond, he replied “Yes, there have been appeasers in the past, and the president is exactly right.”

The Obama campaign must have been delighted. The last thing McCain needs now is to have the least popular president in living memory become his campaign spokesman. But the charge of “appeaser” won’t go away. So let’s look at some facts, starting with the other name that Bush put front and center without actually saying it: Munich.
The Nazis Are Coming

In case anyone missed the connection, McCain made it clear when he told reporters that there have been appeasers in the past “and one of them is Neville Chamberlain.'’ In 1938, British Prime Minister Chamberlain met with Hitler in Munich and agreed to let Germany annex the Sudetenland, the predominantly German part of Czechoslovakia, to gain what he called “peace for our time.” Chamberlain has been scorned ever since as the greatest of all appeasers. Or at least that’s the conventional wisdom.

In fact, when President Franklin D. Roosevelt heard the news of the Munich pact, he sent Chamberlain a telegram with just two words on it: “Good man.” Roosevelt told his ambassador to Italy, "I am not a bit upset over the final result." His most trusted foreign policy adviser, Sumner Welles, predicted that the Munich accord might lead to a new world order based on justice and law. Half a year later, FDR still hoped to negotiate with Hitler by appealing to reason: "This situation must end in catastrophe,” the president wrote in a personal letter to the Fuhrer, “unless a more rational way of guiding events is found."

The idea that Munich represented not merely a mistake but a moral catastrophe did not emerge until later, when it turned out the Nazis were intent on war no matter what concessions they received. Once he was in the war, FDR started negotiating with another leader viewed by many Americans as evil incarnate: Josef Stalin. FDR may have shared their view. He justified his alliance with Stalin as “holding hands with the devil.” But if that’s what it took to promote American interests, Roosevelt did not hesitate to do it.

Negotiating with the evil enemy became bipartisan policy under Dwight D. Eisenhower. Ike’s popularity rating soared when he met with Soviet leaders Khrushchev and Bulganin in Geneva in 1955. That set off an almost continuous round of disarmament talks, which continued when the Democrat John F. Kennedy became president. Kennedy also made sure that summitry with Soviet leaders became a bipartisan institution. Richard Nixon won wide praise for extending it to China, though he was criticized from the right for edging too close to appeasement. A few years later, most of those same right-wingers were praising their leader, Ronald Reagan, for his own summitry with the Soviets.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:33 pm
@okie,
Okie, the principle is that when Obama says he will negotiate with rogue leaders without preconditions, "I will meet with them" doesn't mean him personally. Whenever he says something like that, his 'escape' from foolish statements is his all-too-predictable amendment put out by him or his staff: "What I meant was. . . ."

He is allowed to get away with that kind of stuff time and time again. But, because the media has chosen him for their poster boy of this campaign, he alone can get away with it. They focus quite sharply on anybody else--Hillary Clinton, John McCain, Sarah Palin etc.--who even appear to be changing their stories. And Joe Biden isn't even requested to change his.

Quote:
In the (July 2007) debate, Obama was asked if he would be willing to meet " without precondition " in the first year of his presidency with the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea.

"I would," he responded. . . .

. . . .In a separate interview with the newspaper, Obama said: "What she's (H Clinton) somehow maintaining is my statement could be construed as not having asked what the meeting was about. I didn't say these guys were going to come over for a cup of coffee some afternoon.". . . .

and then subsequently:

Obama adviser David Axelrod said on Tuesday that Obama would not just meet blindly with such leaders but only after diplomatic spadework had been accomplished.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/24/politics/main3094391.shtml

Or in other words - preconditions.

The media allows Obama and Axelrod to change what he actually said again and again without so much as a blink. McCain rarely makes such gaffes that have to be corrected, but any he does make or any shift in policy makes front page headlines as another flip flop. Obama pretty much gets a pass or it is treated as unimportant. And the media continues to write all sorts of stuff into Palin's comments that she didn't actually say and then crucifies her for their version of what she said.

So, the Obama camp has no reason to believe that he won't be able to perpetually get out of any politically unviable situation by some version of "What I really was saying was. . . ."

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:43 pm
Sort of like Johny MAcs comments that the "economic fundamentals are strong" , at 9AM, and then "No , I meant that the workers are the fundamentals of the economy, and theyre fine" at 3PM (same day)

The "preconditions" issue is purely a political posturing to attempt to collect "zingers " and sound bites. Both sides have mined theothers gaffs from "FActCHECK.com"

I liked the one where McCain stated that we are sending 700B$ a year to enemy states for our yearly supply of oil"

OOPS
It wasnt 700B$, but more importantly, according to Johny MAc, He must consider that CANADA is an enemy state since we get most of our oil from Canada and Mexico.
I think I understand what he was trying to say, it was just an attempt to use superlatives in his soundbites.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 07:57 pm
@farmerman,
From what the conservatives are saying, Palin and McCain don't have gaffs, only Biden, and sometimes Obama.
0 Replies