Although I'm A Cynic

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:00 am
and have zero belief that ANYONE in government gives a **** about us...or that the American people have any voice at all in how this country is run.... is it not possible for us as citizens to rise up and DEMAND that Congress not adjourn until this financial bill is worked out?

The fact that they might go home armed with the knowledge that bush will use that time to pass some sort of fucked up, harmful bill designed for the further elimination of the middle class....and I have no doubt this is all part of that master plan I believe they've been working on for years, is just mind boggling.

Is there not SOMETHING we can do as citizens? And spare me that power of the vote horseshit.

JPB

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:23 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Yeah, I had visions of guillotines and Madam Defarge in my head this morning.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:23 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Are you talking about this 700 bazillion dollar bail out?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:55 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
If you can conceive of what 700 BILLION even is, in real life, then you are part of the problem.

I feel that we should go out an taunt CEO's of major financials so that they cower in fear of their lives.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:15 am
@farmerman,
That's why they're no so quick to pass this thing-- because the original version doesn't make Wall Street accountable. Wall Street ought to be accountable #$@#!.

I posted something a discussion about this, but can't find it in able2know land. I'm in worse shape than I thought.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:54 am
@Cliff Hanger,
I agree... don't be quick to pass it. The last time we were told to give bush unquestioned power to do something important was Iraq....how'd that work out? And yet, with full knowledge of that Congress is about to adjourn.... and they know damn well that bush will do something to pass this bill and **** the American people worse in Congress's absence. These bastards work for us supposedly.... we need to let them know that we want them to stay right the hell where they are until they work this out... and **** the elections, their vacations and everything else. This is vital.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 09:26 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I see your point-- but if Bush pulls something the outrage will be enormous. People have had it! This corporate parachute crap resonates with too many people and they will vote the Republicans out on this issue alone.

We already know the Evangelicals have the McCain vote, but there are a lot of moderate undecided people and they'll decide the election. Make them mad enough and they'll either pull the lever for Obama, simply not vote at all, or go for the dreaded 3rd party candidate other than Nader.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 09:37 am
@Cliff Hanger,
do you think that the outrage of the american people means a goddam thing to bush or washington and the outrage would have a result? The repubs KNOW they're being voted out.... which is exactly why they're trying to bully through as much of their bullshit agenda as possible now. If we pull the lever in the booth they will still have gotten their way if Congress adjourns now. End of story.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 09:40 am
@Cliff Hanger,
If Bush pulls something -- well, why would his people give a ****? It's not like he's up for re-election.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 09:50 am
I've been yelling from the rooftops for a long time... and being either dismissed, ridiculed or both, that the middle class is purposefully and systematically being eliminated in this country because the rich are now rich enough not to need them. Now the government proposes to buy the mortgages on our homes with our money, money being printed with nothing to back it up may I add, and still forcing us to pay income taxes to pay it all back to who? Ourselves supposedly?

Does anyone thing that if Joe Lunchbox can't pay his mortgage that the government.... the people who bring you tax collectors....will be any more sympathetic than the banks and allow him stay in it?
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:42 am
@patiodog,
Yes, but all those congress members Are up for re-election...
patiodog

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:59 am
@Cliff Hanger,
Which is why they all, repubs and dems, do nothing, adjourn, and go back and whine to their constintuencies about how the other party won't let them get anything done. Business as usual.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:05 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
The Secretary of the Treasury and Bernanke wants a quick pass, because they don't know the answers to the many questions now being posed by both side of the isle. That should be a clue, but congress will give them what they want in a few days.

Our government has been broken for decades, and now they're out to ruin what used to be called a democracy and capitalism.

We have found the enemy, and ....
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:10 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You should be VERY afraid 'cause I couldn't agree more. (Now we know we BOTH are crazy!)

Jefferson (not Geroge from The Jeffersons) believed you should have a revolution every 20 yrs.

Personally, my solution is to now build a cabin in the woods here in upstate NY, power/utils not on the grid, and learning how to hunt and trap. Survivalism seems the only way to get by. At least, then I can rely (or blame) someone directly for my own misery or success. My 401-K has been rendered useless.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 07:31 am
@patiodog,
Quote:
Which is why they all, repubs and dems, do nothing,

Hyperbole, hyperbole. I agree a number of them do that, but not all of them.
patiodog

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:22 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
wiki wrote:
Hyperbole (pronounced /haɪˈpɝːbəli/ hye-PER-buh-lee; "HYE-per-bowl" is a mispronunciation) comes from Greek "υπερβολή" (meaning exaggeration) and is a figure of speech in which statements are exaggerated. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.
(emphases not added)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:30 pm
@farmerman,
What an excellent idea, farmer!
High time the peasants became a bit revolting! Wink
patiodog

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:33 pm
@msolga,
That's right, they stink on ice.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:20 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Personally, my solution is to now build a cabin in the woods here in upstate NY, power/utils not on the grid, and learning how to hunt and trap. Survivalism seems the only way to get by. At least, then I can rely (or blame) someone directly for my own misery or success. My 401-K has been rendered useless.

Been there, done that. Gets old fast. Not that it's bad to be off grid (although not practical in the NE for 4 months out of the year.) Hunting and trapping is best learned young- knowing how to slaughter and clean a chicken is a good survival skill.

Actually, you still have to worry about healthcare, auto insurance and taxes, so many of the big bills are still in place. I think the best way to avoid personal disaster is to avoid all forms of debt and have skills that people are willing to pay for.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 06:22 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch is Very wise...
0 Replies