Contract for Actors...

Muarck

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 05:54 pm
I am directing an independent film with non-sag actors. And I want to word the contract such that the actors all get a percentage of the profits of the film. Problem is: I can't figure out how to word it. Here's my original idea:

Profits shall be considered: any monitary awards, the sale of any rights, and reimbursement from the distributor for distribution. Profits shall be divded as such: 15% star, 5% co-star...blah, blah...

The part I'm uncertain on is: "reimbursement from the distributor for distribution," I want this to be what ever the distributor pays "us," but I don't know how to word that. Should I create something like "We" should be considered? And then use that for "us"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,655 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 05:58 pm
@Muarck,
If it's a legal document, you would be well-advised to hire a lawyer. After all, you want to do it right, don't you? And any advice offered to you here by non-lawyers might be worthless.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:12 pm
@Muarck,
Where are you located, Muarck? There are organizations out there that specifically assist people and organizations in the arts with legal problems. Like this one, for instance, in the Chicago area.
Muarck

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:35 pm
@joefromchicago,
I'm in central New York; and I would love to hire a lawyer, but I'm already many thousands broke from producing the film. Most independent films of this level usually only copy contract form from books such as the screen-writer's manual. Which I have done for some contracts. But it doesn't have a non-SAG contract, and SAG contracts don't have a clause such as I need.

Oh, by the way: I am in central New York state.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:55 am
@Muarck,
Get in touch with these people. They're based in NYC, so they may not be able to assist you directly, but they might know of lawyers in your area who can help.
Muarck

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:11 pm
@joefromchicago,
Thank for the note.
0 Replies