Squinney and I Were Looking At This Article

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:36 pm
and I said "What nutjob would help his boy make this shirt and then wear it to school?" WE then Simultaneously said...."CJ". Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,524 • Replies: 27

boomerang

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:42 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
What shirt?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:44 pm
@boomerang,
oops....

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7490636&version=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:52 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
They say he wasn't suspended for wearing the shirt, but rather for willful disobedience? Do they think people are stupid? The disobedience was in not removing a shirt that they found offensive. Thus, no matter how you cut it, he was suspended for wearing the shirt.

Since the shirt could probably be considered a political statement that quite frankly was no harm to anyone, I don't see where the school had a right to tell him he couldn't wear it. Of course, if they are consistent and don't allow any political statements on shirts, then they might be able to back up their action. I don't know. Of course, it was stupid to wear that to school in my opinion and I would not have allowed my son to do so, even if I agreed with the sentiment.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:24 pm
I imagine the rules at Mo's school are similar to those in other states. The dress code reads, in part:

Quote:
Clothing must not:

interfere with the learning process
be vulgar or insulting
be demeaning to a particular person or group

Students may be directed to change dress or grooming if it interferes with the learning process or school climate.

If this kid's school has similar rules this crying 1st A violation isn't going to do him any good.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:49 pm
Schools try to be learning environments, and this is going to be a good lesson for that boy. He is going to learn that there's always a price to pay when you challenge the system.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:00 pm
@Eva,
He will learn that only when the rules, as well as the consequences for violating them, are clearly spelled out. I have no problem with any school implementing and enforcing a dress code, banning gang colors, banning any attire that detracts from the learning environment. In that context I have no problem with the school banning all attire with provocative or offensive slogans.

The T-shirt is offensive and provocative and the school was perfect justified in telling the student to change it. . . .

IF. . . .

Such policy is equitably and consistently applied.

If you let an insult against the President or Senator McCain slide, but take exception to a slur against Senator Obama, then the kid will learn that the school practices bigotry and prejudice and that free speech is a highly selective term contingent on dictated ideology and politics.
Eva

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:18 pm
@Foxfyre,
It happened in Colorado, Foxfyre. I think it's safe to assume that there are people in that school...students, faculty and administrators...who support both sides in this election.

But that really isn't the point.

The point is, the school authorities asked him to remove the shirt and he refused. While he may enjoy the publicity, and his parents may pull him out of that school (does he have friends there?) to avoid taking responsibility for creating such a mess, the fact remains that a suspension will always be on his record. He will pay.

(shakes head) Bad parenting always saddens me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:06 pm
@Foxfyre,
Snort!!!

Fascinating psychology here.

Fox manages to turn an article about a kid brainwashed in foul bigotry by an uber-conservative arsehole of a father into a diatribe against liberal prejudice.

Rolling Eyes

I don't know whether to laugh manically or cry.

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:22 pm
I used it as an illustration, gentle people. Perhaps you missed the part where I found the T-shirt offensive and was defending the school policy? The T-shirt was a slur re Senator Obama. Had the T-shirt been a slur against a conservative or Republican, then I would have used a Democrat or liberal as the comparison. It is not I who made this into a political diatribe, but I believe it is you.

The point remains that the school is wrong if they apply a policy only to some but not all no matter what the issue is. The parent was wrong if he was demanding that the school not apply a policy to his son.
dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:26 pm
@Foxfyre,
crap.

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:28 pm
@dlowan,
Whatever. Perhaps you can dissect my logic without assigning your own prejudices to what I intended?
kickycan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:34 pm
@Foxfyre,
Yes, we should all try to follow the example of our most fair and balanced, non-partisan, totally objective member, Foxfyre! If only we could all be so wise and unaffected by partisanship.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:37 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote: "Perhaps you can dissect my logic without assigning your own prejudices to what I intended?"

Foxfyre: Your intent is extremely transparent because you have shown us the same page in your book a thousand times.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:45 pm
@Debra Law,
I could say the same about any of you who now presume to turn your indignation to me rather than consider the merits of what I said. I think people who were not predisposed to hold prejudices against me personally and who didn't think it is okay to be judgmental and even snotty to people who don't agree with them would see that what I said was the truth. I was agreeing with Eva actually, but I did see some possible extenuating circumstances there if we were not getting the whole picture. Kids learn justice and fair play only when they see it applied equitably to all.

Too often in today's school systems the rules are not always applied equitably or without prejudice. A judgment was drawn about one particular kid based on the information that we had. If that information is all there is to the story, then yes, Eva's conclusion is correct.

If there is more to the story, then there might be more to consider.

I wonder if you all would see it differently if it had been a "McCain sucks" or "Sarah Palin is a slut" shirt? Would you have drawn the same conclusion that you drew here? And would you be holding me in contempt had I offered the same observatons?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:50 pm
Jesus H Christ y'all... I was making a joke about how the first thing we thought of in unison was CJHSA...and it was a good natured joke at that.....
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 05:42 pm
@Eva,
wrong, schools are supposed to mold children into willing slaves. PERIOD.

nice try though.

if schools were about learning i would have excelled.

its about power, and mind control pretty much, good boy, go to work, dont express yourself, dop this do that, be normal, try to fit in.

yadda yadda.

dont talk back, even if your right, etc...

get real. school? learning? LAUGH OUT LOUD.

this place, where a kid gets suspended for correcting a teacher that says a kilometer is longer than a mile.

learning MY ASS.
cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 07:29 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I would made sure it was large enough to conceal my son's Glock. Removing the shirt would have caused him to expose his concealed weapon, which he needs to defend himself against the giantly obese bully punks that the school protects and feeds. He would have been absolutely right to say no and not remove the shirt.

Says "cj".
squinney

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 07:36 pm
@cjhsa,
On second thought, maybe he should leave his shirt on.

(Hey, you got air time in the Bear cave. That's a good thing, CJ)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 07:40 pm
@cjhsa,
A concealed weapon at school, shooter...???

Shocked

You, Shirley, can't condone that?