Android has push Gmail

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:17 am
So T-mobile is releasing the G1 handset, based on Google's Android today. People are live blogging the event right now, so news is scattered, with small bits of info. So far what sounds the most interesting to me, is that Google's Andy Rubin has confirmed there will be push gmail.

For those who don't understand what that means, it is essentially the killer app of blackberry devices. With this system your phone doesn't have to continually ping your email account to check for new messages. Instead, any time you get an email to your gmail account, gmail will alert your phone that a new message is available. The result is being instantly notified of new email, as soon as you get it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,843 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:27 am
@Nick Ashley,
I'm sure it's not using the idiotic SMS method is it?
DrewDad

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:38 am
A common IT task lately has become setting up smartphones to be able to get push E-mail from the corporate mail server.

Pain the in behind, requiring certificates and publishing a secure website through the firewall.

Basically, though, the phone simply keeps an open SSL connection to the web/mail server over which it receives notifications and messages.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:39 am
Now, being able to get GMail does sound like a killer app.
0 Replies

bsboard

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I meant to link to the article in the original post, but forgot to. All the information I know is from http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/23/t-mobile-g1-has-push-gmail/

There is some speculation that they are using IMAP IDLE, which is what Apple's MobileMe uses. We'll see I guess.
0 Replies