How long does water remain fresh and potable.

bhaaya

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:32 pm
I feel up a plastic jug of tap water and leave it on the counter.
How long will it remain potable? If kept in the frifge?If it were well water?If it were water from a plastic bottle?If it were club soda?If it were naturally carbonated water?If it were from a mountain spring?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 6,734 • Replies: 15

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:47 pm
Here's my guess; probably indefinitely, but only when the environment is ideal.
roger

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
I would trust distilled water in glass about forever. Don't have any idea what's in that well water, etc. Not too sure about the plastic jug, either.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:03 am
@roger,
There were recent reports about plastic bottles and their chemical contents; it seems they are blamed for cancer.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 07:12 am
I think tap water left for a while, or any container that y0u've taken a drink from, can become contaminated after a while due to the fact that there is possible bacteria in the water. I know for certain e coli can grow in opened bottles of water (like the ones you buy in the store) that sit around for a while.

If you are an avid drinker of bottled water, you might want to take a look at this.

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/nbw.asp

Quote:
In addition, bottled water rules allow for some contamination by E. coli or fecal coliform (which indicate possible contamination with fecal matter), contrary to tap water rules, which prohibit any confirmed contamination with these bacteria. Similarly, there are no requirements for bottled water to be disinfected or tested for parasites such as cryptosporidium or giardia, unlike the rules for big city tap water systems that use surface water sources. This leaves open the possibility that some bottled water may present a health threat to people with weakened immune systems, such as the frail elderly, some infants, transplant or cancer patients, or people with HIV/AIDS.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 07:35 am
@bhaaya,
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/emergency/water.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 09:57 am
@DrewDad,
I was half right about "indefinite," but forgot that chlorine bleach is needed to destroy organisms. I guess I would have "survived" in the event of some untold catastrophe. We usually have about two cases of bottled water that's consumed in a couple of weeks.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 10:04 am
@bhaaya,
bhaaya wrote:

How long will it remain potable? If kept in the frifge?If it were well water?If it were water from a plastic bottle?If it were club soda?If it were naturally carbonated water?If it were from a mountain spring?

For long term storage of potable water, autoclave a glass bottle of water under elevated temp (121 C for 15 min)) and pressure ( 15 pounds/sq in).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:00 pm
@bhaaya,
Sweet, you reminded me of one of my very first experiments that I never obtained definitive data for. As a kid I was interested in survival situations and asked how long water takes to "go rotten" (because I decided the "survival kit" I was making needed some water). I was told water doesn't rot. I found this dubious and I conducted an experiment. I filled a Kraft Parmesan cheese can water and put it on a window sill.

When I checked it the water had mold floating on the surface and I was convinced I'd been lied to. Then I figured it out, the mold came from the cheese.

I learned about what makes water become nonpotable but soon lost interest and never nailed down the specifics I was looking for.

Now I finally know and another childhood curiosity is sated, thanks for asking!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:30 pm
@bhaaya,
here is an inexpensive method to obtain "potable" water :

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/004261.html

Quote:
Sterilizing Water with Solar Radiation
Sarah Rich
April 1, 2006 11:34 AM

In too many parts of the world, water is as much a cause of death as a source of life. Cleaning contaminated water is mass quantities presents innumerable challenges. Filtration and pipe systems can be unreliable and costly. But one innovative technique has recently proven surprisingly effective, and remarkably simple.

In Tanzania, villagers have been placing plastic water bottles full of dirty spring water in the sun on their black tar rooftops. After eight hours (or less in very hot areas), UV rays and heat have killed off the bacteria that cause cholera, dysentary, and typhoid.

0 Replies

Delicia

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 05:41 pm
@roger,
I agree whole heartedly agree with you. Much more info has come around about the different types of storage {especially long term for emergencies} of water and the safety of its potability.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 10:07 am
@bhaaya,
bhaaya wrote:

The so-called "freshness" and drinkability will depend on the microbial population in the water. Sterile water will certainly be drinkable far longer than non-sterilzed water.
0 Replies

uspackaging

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:16 pm
@bhaaya,
I would stay with distilled water if looking for longevity.
0 Replies

iammartinc1

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 12:14 am
@bhaaya,
Plastics are perfect for storing or packaging beverages and food items due to their physical, mechanical and chemical properties. So water will remain fresh for long time.
roger

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 12:47 am
@iammartinc1,
I would pick glass over plastic anytime for long term storage.
0 Replies

5in1airsofabed

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 03:29 am
Pretty Hard Question though ... Cant be one straight forward answer.
0 Replies