Guys? You're not helping (Palin sexism watch)

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:21 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

OB - I think you may be extrapolating too much here...

...Hawkeye - you could have phrased it in a less incendiary way. Evil or Very Mad
I think you just don't get it that the rapist was only making the point so he could display his demented misogynistic hatred. Disguising it as something that resembles reason is his standard stock in trade.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:32 am
@OCCOM BILL,
If it's standard stock then it goes without saying.

He IMO pointed out a real idea that some people have. Whether it was his and he was hiding it behind a some-people-say kind of statement or not, I don't care. I think the content of it is more important to address over him specifically.

Some people will or won't vote for Obama because he's black.

Saying it doesn't mean I think any of the above is a valid reason or that it is my own. However the statement (independent of whose mouth it comes out of) is worth worth discussion.

T
K
O
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:13 am
What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull

one is an unstable animal that's best left tied up in the backyard and the other one is a pitbull
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 07:09 am
How about the difference between a hockey mom and and a pitbull is that the pitbull has an excuse for not understanding foreign affairs.

T
K
O
spendius

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:14 pm
@Diest TKO,
You've missed the point TK. Pit bulls are scientific experts on foreign policy.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:34 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Be grateful for the anonymous platform Craven inexplicably continues to provide you, you utter horror of a human being.

I don't know where Hawkeye got his nickname nor whether it's deserved but Bill, please, you did way more than stand silent in a time of moral crisis. You actively supported those who were responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocents in Iraq and Afghanistan.

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 05:40 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

DTOM writes
Quote:
here's where i have a big problem with the palin bunch; labeling everything from interviews to colloquial expression as "sexist". it's being used in a fast , loose way to shield an arguably unprepared candidate from questions and accountability. i believe that there's a similarity to crying wolf in most of palin's citations.

bottom line is that nobody gets through the process without scarring. so if a person wants to play in the big leagues, they need to grow a thick skin and keep rolling.

Do you feel the same level of indignation when the 'Obama bunch' labels everything as racist from using his name, referring to his family in Kenya (after he did), noting the 'black theology' of his church of 20 years, commenting on his repeated references to 'not looking like those other presidents on dollar bills', and now referencing his community organizer experience? Is there anything in that list that he himself has not expressed or that is not fair game for scrutiny?

Yes, Sarah Palin has to take her lumps as much as anybody else, but all the criticism re unfair attacks have not been labeled sexist because they all have not been sexist.

But criticizing her or characterizing her, a woman, in critical and/or hateful ways that would not be applied to a man is sexist and those doing that should be called out on it.

sorry, i only just saw this. to answer the first one; yeah. in as much that i agree there has been some sexism, if only a little, towards palin, i see that there has been a little bit of real racism tossed obama's way. in both cases it appears that the 'tude comes not directly from either campaign, but from radio & tv talking heads and 527s.

in general i just get frustrated when people use accusations of "-ism" as a one size fits all rejoinder. too convenient to not address a particular question.

now about obama's name. since it is his name, i doubt very much that it bothers him to be called by it. on the other hand, i think something my dad used to say is applicable here; "it's not what you say, but how you say it."

i haven't heard anything about kenya, so i can't say.

"black theology" ? dunno. right before i moved to california, i was in a popular local blues/ r&b band, we played a lot of church sponsored cabarets and a couple of services where they wanted some more jumpin' sounds for a minute. at least then, black churches did it a little different, but no, i never heard anyone exhorting god to come down and kill whitey. i didn't even get that from wright; he was basically saying that eventually the bad stuff catches up with you. that's a common idea in nearly all religions, isn't it?

i don't get why yous guys have such a problem with the community organizer thing. obama isn't alone in seeing community service as a good thing. think back to mccain's convention speech.

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 05:41 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

How about the difference between a hockey mom and and a pitbull is that the pitbull has an excuse for not understanding foreign affairs.

Laughing Laughing

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 03:27 pm
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7899/palinflowhq1.gif
nimh

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 05:38 pm
@Region Philbis,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 08:32 am
@nimh,
i thank't my BIL for sending it to me...
0 Replies

Mary Homemaker

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:31 pm
@Region Philbis,
I love the chart!

Palin is flat unqualified. I don't approve of any sexists attacks against her. Sexist attacks aside, she is not qualified for any postition outside her home town and home state. She is a great speech giver. Much of the praise towards her in the past month has been based on a speech written for her by Bush's speech writers. Those were not her words. But she sure does a heck of a good job reading a telepromter.
spendius

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:43 pm
@Mary Homemaker,
Quote:
Palin is flat unqualified.

What will you say if she is elected?
Mary Homemaker

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:52 pm
@spendius,
I hope and pray that day doesn't come. But I will answer the same thing, she is flat unqualified.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 01:24 pm
@Mary Homemaker,
Quote:
she is not qualified for any postition outside her home town and home state. She is a great speech giver. Much of the praise towards her in the past month has been based on a speech written for her by Bush's speech writers. Those were not her words. But she sure does a heck of a good job reading a telepromter.

She should be a local news anchor, anything more intellectually demanding than that in either the lower 48 or not, she is not qualified to do.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 02:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
She's a great speech giver, only if she a) answered the questions asked, and b) she didn't lie so much. She knows how to flirt with the conservative men too, wink, wink.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 02:52 pm
@Mary Homemaker,
welcome to A2k, Mary H...
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 03:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
One particular conservative man, Rich Lowry, was ridiculed for his star-struck "masterbationary" comments of Palin and her debate performance. He was mesmerized by her man-straightening winks and smiles:

Quote:
Projecting through the Screen

I'm sure I'm not the only male in America who, when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, "Hey, I think she just winked at me." And her smile. By the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America. This is a quality that can't be learned; it's either something you have or you don't, and man, she's got it.

Link: October 3, 2008

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 04:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have to agree with you.
spendius

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 05:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Rich is just trying to pretend he's a randy young buck.

A five kid woman sexy!!?? Come off it.