Hang up calls...what to do?

mismi

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:52 am
For the last 7 days I have had someone call and hang up 10 times - the caller id says OUT OF AREA - and the number says OUT OF AREA. I am sure it is the same one because there is always a pause - then it goes to a fast beep. I thought it was automated until today - I heard movement and a door - then the fast beep.

So my question is...how do I find out who it is and how do I make it stop? It is starting to bother me a bit...

Any suggestions would be great.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,232 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:53 am
@mismi,
An air horn???
mismi

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:55 am
@Rockhead,
Not a bad idea Laughing
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:58 am
@mismi,
I could write an anti-telemarketer book.

I usually start into my own sales pitch, and get a wee bit obnoxius...
mismi

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:59 am
@Rockhead,
not you. Razz
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:02 am
@mismi,
OK, I know itsa stretch to envision...

Another fave is when they ask to speak to the person who makes financial decisions, I say ~ NO, you may not...

and wait to see where they go...
mismi

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:06 am
@Rockhead,
well - that's the problem...whoever it is, is just listening then hanging up. When I say "hello" space then beep beep beep - that is why I thought it was a automated call...but today I heard something, someone...

We are on the telemarketing no call list - I don't have many calls. I get the occasional one I ask to take us off the list. But this one has been consistent...another thing is - telemarketers usually have a number - the up and up ones anyway...this one has been blocked. I don't like that.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:08 am
@mismi,
I would just stop answering "Out of Area" calls for a week or so. If it's not a hang up then they can leave a message. Whoever it is will get bored with getting the answering machine.
mismi

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:10 am
@FreeDuck,
I just need to do that I suppose. I want to KNOW who it is though. Bothers me.

Thanks Rock...thanks FreeDuck
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:12 am
@mismi,
You can call the phone company and report annoyance calls. They may give you an answer on the number, or you may have to involve the law.

(unless you know a hacker...)
mismi

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:14 am
@Rockhead,
egads...no, I don't know a hacker...don't want to get into all that. I may call the phone company though. Thanks Rock.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:09 pm
@mismi,
Hey Mis... just seen this...

I would go with not answering too... but I understand what you're saying.

If you are getting worried hun - first up - talk to the Professor and let him know that you are concerned. Would be good if he could pick up the phone when it rings... that would stop anything in it's tracks ... if that's your concern, which I think it is.

Talk to the Professor and then call the phone company sweet girl.

Else, you 'aint gonna stop worrying.

Could just be that whoever is on the end of the phone can't hear you talking, but you can hear them. Try not to worry Mis, but do tell the Professor. K?
mismi

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:12 pm
@Izzie,
Thanks Iz... Wink
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:42 pm

Does that work in your area?

It dials the last number back.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@Bella Dea,
not if it's blocked...
mismi

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:52 pm
@Rockhead,
I forget about that stuff Bella...can't tell if it is blocked - but I assume that it is since it says OUT OF AREA for both the caller and the number. My cell shows up as OUT OF AREA but has the number...eh...I dunno. Will give it a whirl if it happens again.

called the Prof, Iz...he told me to call the phone company - haven't done that yet.
0 Replies