Church of England holds out its hand to Darwinism

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 02:34 am
As the world of science prepares to celebrate the bicentenary of the birth of Charles Darwin, and the 150th anniversary of the publication of ‘On the Origin of Species’, the Church of England is devoting a section of its website to a sympathetic account the relationship of faith to science.

This apology can be compared to the late Pope John Paul II’s decision to say sorry for the Vatican’s 1633 trial of Galileo, the astronomer who appalled prelates by declaring that the earth revolved around the sun.

On the Church of England website:
On the origin of Darwin:

Quote:
Through the absorption of this material comes the conclusion that a healthy balance between the mystery of faith and the wonders of scientific discovery is essential - as Revd Dr Malcolm Brown writes: “There is no reason to doubt that Christ still draws people towards truth through the work of scientists as well as others, and many scientists are motivated in their work by a perception of the deep beauty of the created world.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,631 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 02:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, it's something, I suppse, in the midst of all this religious fundamentalist hysteria and its attack on science.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 04:29 am
As Dr Huxley said of the REv Dr Wilberforce, one of Darwins severest critics, after Wilberforce had been pitched off his horse and died from a resultant head trauma;

"I believe that this is the first time that the real world had ever contacted the good Doctors brain"

I believe the Anglican Church may soon proffer a position regarding Heliocentrism
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 06:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
More churches should do this. They probably have more to fear from fundamentalism than science does.

Only one thing a fundie hates worse than evilution, and that's a different fundie thumping on a different bible.

Has anyone noticed that the US political campaigns have begun using the Creationist tactic of simply repeating lies over and over again. It's been done before of course, but it seems more prevalent now. I think they have recognized a fundamental shift in the way information is processed by people. There is now so much information available that people are no longer able to determine veracity based on volume. It reminds me of that CareerBuilder ad where all the amateur tennis players run onto the court and over-run the pros.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 07:17 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

More churches should do this. They probably have more to fear from fundamentalism than science does.

The Roman Catholic Church hadn't mentioned Darwin and evolution for nearly centuries, officially at least.

Only now, Benedict seems to turn away from a more benevolent view and look at it through his conservatively black painted glasses ...
Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 12:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
the church of england is infinitely accommodating

both its weakness and its strength.

i think religion and science are pursuing the same object...truth.

the difference is that religion uses metaphysics, guesswork and dogma, and science uses evidence and logic.

i know where i stand
0 Replies