Can i lose my child?

mannd43

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:12 pm
Hi, i'm a single mother of three beautiful girls. I'm also suffering from horrible depression. I've been depressed as long as i can remember, but now it's unbareable. I've also been having some suicidal thoughts. My children and I live with my mother, she has helped me raise them since birth and they love her dearly. Thier father is a drug user ( i have no legal proof) who only wants them when he can show them off. He always has a different job and is not consistent in anything he does. He gives me $20.00 every two weeks if i'm lucky for child support. He enjoys hurting me and always taunts me by saying he's going to take my kids. I know he has no chance of doing that as things are now, but what if i get hospitalized for my severe depression? I need help, but my kids can't live with him........They barley know him as he only takes them once a month. I know i need help but i'd die if i lost my babies. Can anyone help me understand?

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:17 pm
@mannd43,
Go see your doctor.

Therapy, antidepressants, and a regular exercise routine can all assist with alleviating your depression.

You will only be hospitalized if you are in imminent risk of hurting yourself or someone else. Go get help before it reaches that point.
mannd43

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:21 pm
@DrewDad,
i've seen my dr. before.....i'm bi-polar, i've never been one for taking pills so i just try to handle things myself...i'm just afraid if i tell my dr. about my suicidal thoughts they'll want to put me in hospital and that scares me...
dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:22 pm
@mannd43,
If you do not get the help you need with your depression, and the children are not cared for because of it, I can imagine you could run into trouble.

However, if you are receiving proper help for your depression, and you have arranged for proper care for the children, I don't see that you could be seen by anyone to be doing anything wrong.

I assume your mother could care for the children IF you were hospitalized?

Generally, people don't get hospitalised all that much or long these days anyway.

By remaining untreated you and your kids are losing bits of each other every day...imagine how much more your relationshipsa could be if you were feeling better and had more energy and delight to share with your children!

It's great that they have a good relationship with your mother, too.

Go get help already. Don't let the drop kick dad make you feel too threatened to do the right thing by yourself and the children.

And I hope you are feeling better soon.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:24 pm
@mannd43,
"Handling things yourself" is a recipe for disaster.

Have you been diagnosed as bi-polar?

Unless you're actually planning a suicide attempt, I don't think they can hospitalize you against your will.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:25 pm
@mannd43,
Welcome to A2K mannd43

First of all you need to take some deep breaths and try and slow down the thoughts racing around in your head. That's not easy - but just for a few mins.... just quieten the thoughts and breathe.

Just think about yourself for the moment and don't think about what's happening with the father of your children right now.

You say you live with your Mother and she has helped you raise your children since they were born. Is your Mother aware of how you are feeling right now? Right this minute.

If you are having these thoughts - you need to talk a doctor or someone you can trust straight away girlie.... there are people here who can listen to you - but I don't think there are professional counsellors here - to help you understand your depression. There are many folk here who will listen tho.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 04:31 pm
If things get really bad, I would suggest that you look up the suicide hotline.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:17 am
I suffer from depression and I was allowed to adopt a child so I don't think you really need to worry about having your kids taken away IF you seek treatment.

Dlowan is exactly right -- continuing to do nothing cheats you and your kids out of a normal life.

When you're in the hole it is really hard to see how your depression is effecting all the people around you. It is hurting them. Admitting you can't "fix" yourself and getting help is the first step. Take it. You don't have to live like this.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:37 am
I think you got alot of good advice on the medical side. You may want to also seek legal help (once you take care of yourself medically). That way you could prevent the father for taking the children and legally make him responsible financially.
mannd43

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 02:52 pm
@Linkat,
Thank you everyone for your advice. Yes i was diagnosed Bi-Polar with PTS. I know i need to get help and i made a doctor's appt, so hopefully i'm at least on the road to getting help. Tonight is going to be difficult for me. I already know several things are in the process of occuring that are going to triggger me. Thank u all for your concern though, and for the great advice.
Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:11 pm
@mannd43,
I wish you the best.
0 Replies