Tom Brady and the Patriots

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 12:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Quote:
Coach Bill wants to win at all costs.

Does this mean he wants to win each game at all costs... or that he wants to win the Superbowl at all costs. These are not always the same thing.

Bellichick benched Jonas Gray (after an incredible game) against the Lions for missing practice. It turned out OK... but it wasn't winning at all costs.

the benching coincided with the acquisition of blount, a more than suitable replacement.

as you know, the Patriot Way is all about the team.

insubordination is not tolerated.

so i'll amend my statement --

Coach Bill wants to win at all costs within the team philosophy.

he wants to win every single game, up to and including the superbowl...
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 12:15 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
Coach Bill wants to win at all costs within the team philosophy.

This reminds me of something my daughter said that made me laugh. After going to Sunday School class with hyperreligious cousins she started saying "Everything is possible for those who believe".

I questioned her on this... whether I could really run faster than the car on the highway if I believed. So she modified the statement a little. Now she says

Quote:
Everything within reason is possible for those who believe.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 10:47 am
Tom needs to stop using the F-Word during a game, when things just don't seem to be going his way. There are too many eyes glued to the TV, watching him.

Read the Boston Sports papers if there's any doubt in your mind.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2014 10:42 pm

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10710650_824745290899956_4270903409178028692_n.jpg?oh=ff8dd5ad87c25146432d591742708a42&oe=550E1BBD&__gda__=1425914071_4343db2114ac9fd1e302a4f7186f4967

http://www.mayanrocks.com/blog/philiprivers-worstdayever.gif
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 04:57 am

the Pates are now .52-9. in the month of december with belichick as head coach...
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 09:39 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Tom needs to stop using the F-Word during a game, when things just don't seem to be going his way. There are too many eyes glued to the TV, watching him.

You know I think you may have a point. I swore harder watching the first half of the pats game last night than I have in months, hardest of all at about the 14-3 point. Must have been because Brady swears during the game and I was copying him. Wink
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 06:19 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
Brady was asked about his use of the word in his weekly interview on
Boston sports radio station WEEI on Monday morning.

“I wish I did have a better mouth out there at times, but there’s nothing
that quite expresses the way I feel like that word,” he said. “It is, it is
[a great word], especially in the heat of the moment. ... Blame CBS and
NBC for putting it on TV. Don’t blame me.”
(espn)
Miller

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:10 am
@Region Philbis,
Brady is becoming a poor example for small children, if it's OK to repeatedly use the F-word on National TV. I for one, ( maybe the only one!) also consider Brady a poor example of proper behavior, not only because of his love of the F-word, but also because he wouldn't marry the mother of his first child.

That may not be called "Boston Proper", but remember I'm from Chicago, where we folks call "A spade a spade"....

maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:13 am
@Miller,
Any child who is old enough to lipread the word "****" is not going to be hurt by it. As long as he keeps winning, I don't care about his behavior.
Miller

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:28 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

... As long as he keeps winning, I don't care about his behavior.

That's probably what all the guys said when Vick was charged with dog abuse and of course, then we have Rice, beating up his wife in the elevator. And then...let us not forget the former Pats star, now in jail for supposedly murder .

And for all the fools on A2K who've posted their dislike for the dress and behavior or the Play Boy Club and their Bunnies, please tell them to view the lack of clothing on the Cheer Leaders for the Pats games. If Kraft approves of the lack of clothes on these women, what next will he permit?

I suspect the next thing to be allowed, will be "Strip" shows for the wild and wealthy ticket holders, who'll be ( in the future) situated in that part of the Stands restricted for the very, very wealthy .

Anything will supposedly be OK, as long as the green bucks of dough keep on rolling in....

Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:30 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

..., if it's OK to repeatedly use the F-word on National TV. "....

Why did national TV have to air this? Not that I love the idea of these players yelling out F bombs and stuff -- I can understand in a sense -- they are very passionate about it (rather see that in a professional player than one who has little drive) --- but what was the purpose of showing it on national TV other than to cause a stir?

Now I doubt they would air some unknown lesser player yelling out F-bombs! I blame the TV for airing as much--
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 01:10 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
That's probably what all the guys said when Vick was charged with dog abuse and of course, then we have Rice, beating up his wife in the elevator. And then...let us not forget the former Pats star, now in jail for supposedly murder .

Abusing dogs, beating your wife senseless or murder are very bad things. I don't condone them.

Somehow mouthing swear words on TV doesn't seem as serious as these other things (but maybe that's just me).
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 01:11 pm
@Linkat,
Emotion is an important part of the game. We want to see Brady get upset, that's part of the story. It deserves coverage.

I really don't see how anyone was hurt by this shot.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 01:13 pm
@maxdancona,
On the other hand, children were clearly traumatized by this horrible televised image.

Quote:
"By the time CBS cut to an aerial view of the stadium, the damage was done," said Wasserbaum, who has also worked extensively with orphaned and amputee children in Third World war zones. "I've found that children can be amazingly resilient, but this event was too much for many of them to take. The horrible image of that breast is likely to haunt them for the rest of their lives."

According to the 500-page report filed by the FCC, more than 90 percent of the children who saw the exposed breast said they were "confused and afraid."

"Mommy has dirty chest bumps," said a 5-year-old boy quoted in one of the thousands of case studies compiled by the FCC. "She's like the bad lady on TV. I'm afraid Mommy will take off her shirt and scare everyone. I hate Mommy."
Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 01:14 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Emotion is an important part of the game. We want to see Brady get upset, that's part of the story. It deserves coverage.

I really don't see how anyone was hurt by this shot.

Adults to see this - fine. But not appropriate for kids. Being a mom of two athletic girls, I really would not want them to copy Brady in the way he displays his passion and emotion of the sport. Not te mention their coaches would be none to happy if they did so.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 01:15 pm
@Linkat,
Again... any child who is mature enough to lipread the word "****" is mature enough to not be damaged by it.

Believe me, your daughters not only know the word, they also know when they can get away with using it. Kids learn that adults swear at the same time they learn that the Easter Bunny isn't real. It is part of their world.

Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 01:19 pm
@maxdancona,
I think traumatized is just a bit extreme with the breast bowl as well as Brady swearing. Simply the fact that the kids would want to copy these professional athletes -- they won't be traumatized, but you are trying to teach the kids to behave (and it is expected in any youth sports) a certain way and f-bombs do not fall into the acceptable behaviour in youth or even high school sports.

We are even warned by college coaches tht they behaviour they display is almost as important to their abilities. They see an attitude problem/disrepectful behaviour and they want nothing to do with you as they expect you will behave that way toward them. My older daughter is just beginning the college athletic recruitment process so I have learned quite a bit on what they consider appropriate behaviour and throwing out f-bombs when you are trying to look good for a college coach would not be helpful.
Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 01:21 pm
@maxdancona,
I am not talking about damage - I am talking as Brady being a role model and children feeling that behaviour should be ok.

My daughters certainly know they word. They do not use it. My high school daughter tells me that many of her friends will use it and that she has no desire to use this word.

And they have heard me use it on a very rare occassion - I do apolize afterwards.

Granted my daughter is much more conservative than I am or ever was.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 01:28 pm
@Linkat,
Swearing is part of our language. It is sometimes useful to swear. It is often appropriate and even healthy to swear. By the time kids enter high school they understand this.

Telling kids not to swear is not helpful. They already know that is a lie. Almost all of them of them will learn to swear appropriately (there are very few of us adults who never swear). They have to learn when it is appropriate and when it is not appropriate; a skill they only get with experience. Obviously swearing when you are trying to impress an athletic talent scout is not appropriate. I assume your daughter knows that.

In this case, Brady's use of the word "****!" was completely appropriate.
Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 01:39 pm
@maxdancona,
I do not have a problem with him yelling out an f-bomb - he is a grown man. I don't particularly care for it when he went on and on, but I could understand it.

I do have an issue with displaying this on TV where kids are watching - that is not appropriate. that is why TV is censored vs cable.

Alot of things are part of our language, but not appropriate in many circumstances. Calling a young child stupid or retarded or a black person the n- word is all part of our language, but certainly not appropriate.

You, yourself were upset at izzy for calling you names rather than argue a topic. So even you feel there is appropriateness use of language at certain times verses other times.