Tom Brady and the Patriots

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 06:24 pm
Quote:
At 9-2, the Patriots are guaranteed a winning season, their 14th in a row.
That’s the longest current streak in the NFL, and the fifth longest in league
history, behind the Cowboys (20 straight, 1966-85), 49ers (16 straight, 1983-98),
Raiders (16 straight, 1965-80), and Bears (15 straight, 1930-44) . . .

Brady threw for 349 yards, the 63d time he’s had a 300-yard game. That ties
him with Dan Marino for third-most in NFL history, behind Drew Brees and
Peyton Manning. Brady also attempted his 7,000th pass during the game.
He’s the sixth quarterback to reach that number . . .
(globe)
Miller

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 12:03 pm
Lot of folks lost $$ on the Sunday game...I figured they'd lose...
panzade

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 12:47 pm
@Region Philbis,
all for naught when you bump up against another HOF QB.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 01:09 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Lot of folks lost $$ on the Sunday game...I figured they'd lose...

The Pats did what they could for those folks, though. Down 5, with a couple minutes to go, they attempted a field goal. (Green Bay was a 3-point favorite.)
panzade

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 01:18 pm
@Kolyo,
good point!
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 03:57 pm
@panzade,

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/s851x315/1240203_767904996619627_4850755774704156243_n.png?oh=38939334e753496387781b6c78eff39e&oe=55182031
Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 03:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
Awesome well-played game, eh RP? Perhaps a view of the Super Bowl contenders.
panzade

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 04:38 pm
It was so well-played. I recorded it and will watch it again.
Both teams defined the term pro football.
It was a shame someone had to lose.
Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 04:45 pm
@panzade,
You betch'ya. I can't wait for those 2 teams to play one another again. I haven't seen another matchup that excited me more. Regardless of which teams I root (or don't root) for), that was REAL high quality play.

One other thing, I can't think of a better 'heavyweight' QB showdown than Rodgers-Brady. Those two are some kind of 'ba-a-a-a-d boys'!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 04:47 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

(Green Bay was a 3-point favorite.)

Several major newspapers had Green Bay a winner by 10 points.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 05:00 pm
@Kolyo,
Yup, Vegas and all the wise-guys had the spread as 3 point...typical of a home team.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 05:33 pm
@Ragman,
I was torn, as I often am as a generally not-tied-to-a-team all that much person, though I've some fondness for the 49ers over the years (less lately). As I've mentioned more than once, I'm in it for the sports stories, the players and sometimes the coaches, and not so much formations and strategies, though I try to listen up on all that. I'm not particular (much) where a team is located - more about the team mode of being and playing. That sounds a little woo-woo, but we have stats followers and story followers and home place followers, all part of the scene.

Anyway, I tend to appreciate Green Bay, however they're doing, more than the Pats, however they're doing. Glad they pulled this one off.

Contradicting myself re association to teams, I'll never... be for USC.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 06:24 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Awesome well-played game, eh RP?
in hindsight, yeah.
but it was obvious from the get-go that the pates O-line was being outplayed, which gave me some serious agita... Confused
Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 06:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
That showed in the second half. I seriously wondered why they abandoned the run. What was wrong with all those good running plays from Jonas Gray, Blount, and Vereen? It's not lake they were behind by much where using the run wasn't strategically valuable,.

I have confidence that Belichick will make the adjustments.
Kolyo

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 09:20 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Both teams defined the term pro football.
It was a shame someone had to lose.

Yeah, I thought the Pats played about as well as could be expected from the best team in the league, playing on the road against the second best team in the league in a hostile environment.

Lambeau Field has provided Green Bay with a huge advantage this year. For example, I don't think the Packers would have gone up 30-6 against the 9-3 Eagles by halftime on a neutral field, but that was just what they did two weeks ago at Lambeau.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 10:30 pm
@Ragman,
There is a conspiracy theory in Boston that Belichick chose a less then optimal strategy for this game to make it more likely they will beat the Packers in a couple of months.
Ragman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 01:40 am
@maxdancona,
What absurdity. If there's one thing that couldn't be made clearer to anyone that has even casually followed this team and this coach, he wants to win and would not 'sandbag' for some less-than-optimal-results strategy. Figment of a feverish sports-fantasy-lover's mind.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 08:09 am
@Ragman,
Maybe it is absurdity Ragman, but it does explain the lack of focus on the running game... and it also means the Packers will be less prepared for a balanced offensive attack in Arizona. Maybe Bellichick stumbled into the best strategy for winning the Superbowl by accident.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 10:07 am
@maxdancona,

Coach Bill wants to win at all costs.

there's no way he'd sacrifice a W in order to get a possible edge on a team that won't necessarily make it to the big game...
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 11:12 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
Coach Bill wants to win at all costs.

Does this mean he wants to win each game at all costs... or that he wants to win the Superbowl at all costs. These are not always the same thing.

Bellichick benched Jonas Gray (after an incredible game) against the Lions for missing practice. It turned out OK... but it wasn't winning at all costs.