Are women a minority?

DrewDad

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:21 pm
Lash and I have been having a disagreement on the "McCain's VP" thread about whether women are a minority.

Thoughts?

kuvasz

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:27 pm
@DrewDad,
in population or economic power in the workplace? the two are different.
parados

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:29 pm
As population, no.
As it applies to business and discrimination law, yes.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:34 pm
@DrewDad,
women are not a minority, they are a group which has been afforded special protections and rights to atone for what are perceived to be historical injustice towards the group. When the protections and rights are seen to be no longer useful or warranted they will end, a process America is now into re the black group.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
There's a reason people say 'women and minorities' instead of just saying 'minorities.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:46 pm
@parados,
Sexual harassment protects both men and women.

Gender discrimination protects both men and women.

To which discrimination law are you referring?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:48 pm
@kuvasz,
Actually...

For Young Earners in Big City, a Gap in Women’s Favor

Gender Differences in Voter Turnout
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/DrewDad/Voting_by_gender.jpg
Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:52 pm
@DrewDad,
Lash and I have been having a disagreement on the "McCain's VP" thread about whether women are a minority.

this is your question
and here is the answer from Germany.

THE WORLD FROM BERLIN
'Sarah Palin Will Cost the Republican Party Dearly'
Sarah Palin is a fresh-faced fishing and hunting wild card in the US presidential race. She just might be able to lure the media away from Obama. But can she attract enough voters from the right to make up for those she might lose McCain in the center?
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,576286,00.html
in this case i cannot charge my "beloved Bush" but the society.
Ask anyone whether female or male

DrewDad

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:55 pm
@Ramafuchs,
That might be germain to the other thread, but I fail to see what it has to do with gender issues.
Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 02:10 pm
@DrewDad,
Sorry
the beginning sentense in this thred had diverted my attention,
I beg your pardon
Rama
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:44 pm
From a demographic perspective they, clearly, are not.

So, no they are not a minority.

They are however unrepresented in our government and subject to unequal treatment in numerous institutional arenas.

This makes them a "minority" only in the contemporary sense of the word: deserving of special note, and (if the power that be is Liberal) special consideration.

Women in the workplace have certain advantages, but they are, on balance, insufficent, and tend to benefit individuals rather than the entire gender.

In principle, I am all for true equality under all the law of "man" for women, however I am not, particularly, pleased with the growing feminization of America.

Women are very different than men. Men are very different than women. There is no value judgment implied in these statements, simply fact.

I am a man. I appreciate, from time to time, the feminine world view and accept it, from time to time, as superior to that of the masculine. I do not, however, consider it, in toto, the superior world view.

Evolution has programmed the female and male species differently, but lags far behind the contemporary script for human existence.

If we were able to snuff out all of the uber alpha-males on earth who lust for power, irrespective of means, it might be OK, or even preferable, to turn the place over to women. Not the case though.

As long as there are Alpha-males roaming the world with the means of inflicting serious harm on men and women, we are better off with our own alpha-males in control.

Certainly this doesn't mean that a given woman is incapable of a hunter/warriors mode of thinking, but it does mean that we need to scrutinize all women who apply for the job as "Leader."

Individually, any woman is capable of matching any man in terms of successful leadership.

Conservatives recognize this fact and are happy to support Thatchers and Palins.

Liberals, on the other hand, want to insist that we support the entire gender (as defined by them), but I'm afraid that this only makes sense if one believe the feminine world view is undeniably superior to the masculine's.

It may, ultimately, be, but I doubt it and am not about to subscribe to the notion.

kuvasz

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 02:02 pm
@DrewDad,
you are missing the point about economic power if all you can point to is income. economic power rests in the ability to do things in a society, not simply buy things and those reins are still held by men. all one has to do is look at the ratio of men to women in congress or fortune 500 CEOs to see that those who do the governing and decision making are mostly men.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 02:23 pm
@kuvasz,
You might note two things:

1. I stated things are changing.
2. The article I posted refers to "Young Earners."

I do not dispute that women are currently under-represented in positions of power. My point is that this state of affairs will not continue indefinitely.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 02:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Your thighs are gonna hurt from trying to have one foot in each camp.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 07:44 pm
@DrewDad,
Spoken like a true partisan that demands allegiance to one side or the other.
fbaezer

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 07:52 pm
"Minority" is an American term that applies to subaltern groups. An ideological euphemism to justify their position.

It's not a matter of numbers or a matter of income. It's a matter of power.

DrewDad

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 07:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm just saying that you didn't make much sense in either direction.

On the one hand, you say that individually women can be good leaders. On the other hand, you say that women in general can't stand up to men.

0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 08:04 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

"Minority" is an American term that applies to subaltern groups. An ideological euphemism to justify their position.

It's not a matter of numbers or a matter of income. It's a matter of power.

Honestly, I think the question is -at least partially- answered.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:00 am
Plonking my last response to Lash:

Lash wrote:

You must have missed the definition of "majority/minority" as well. I brought an article a few pages back. Minority isn't limited to numerical minority. You don't have to agree, though. It DID basically point to underrepresentation politically....

And while women are under-represented in high office, they are not under-represented at the ballot box.

Which makes them not a minority.

Lash, quoting Wikipedia wrote:

A minority or subordinate group is a sociological group that does not constitute a politically dominant voting majority of the total population of a given society.

You did read that part about "total population," right?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:35 am
Women are the majority.
0 Replies