Cockatoo Frightens Neighbors into Calling Cops

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:29 pm

Neighbors called police Wednesday morning after hearing a woman's persistent cry of "Help me! Help me!" coming from a house. Officers arrived and when no one answered the door, they kicked it in to make a rescue.

But instead of a damsel in distress, officers found a caged cockatoo with a convincing call.

It wasn't the first time the 10-year-old bird named Luna said something that brought authorities to the home of owner Evelyn DeLeon.

About seven years ago, the bird cried like a baby for hours, leading to reports of a possible abandoned baby and a visit to the home by state child welfare workers. But it was only Luna practicing a newfound sound, DeLeon says.

DeLeon says her bird learns much of her ever-growing vocabulary from watching television, in both English and Spanish.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,414 • Replies: 14

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
This is an actual news story. I have reformed from making up stories without advance notification.
Diane

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Parrots have been known to whistle for the dogs. When they come running into the room, the parrot looks nonchalant and innocent. Sly birds!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:50 pm
@Diane,
I have more respect for birds than most mammals.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
I used to live next door to a cockatoo which made ear-splitting emergency vehicle siren noises when it was bored.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
I can validate this as a real story, I saw it this morning as well.

As to Auntie Molotov and Birds, well, Fred knows...
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:34 pm
@dlowan,
A resident of the apartments owned a parrot that squawked bloody murder when strangers entered the home. It made the racket non stop, until the stranger left. It did that for me, at first. Unlike the other maintenance man, who would be upset, I talked to the bird, from the instant of entering, until I finished the job and left. After about three times, it settled down for me, to even the owner's amazement.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I taught Fred to be more annoying...

Shocked

(Fred's cool)
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:45 pm
@Rockhead,
The only birds I have owned were chickens. They are much more interesting than one might think.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Had a wife, and a bird...(a combo)

rather take a bullet than take either back. (he ate me ear ring, right out me ear...)

Raised 'round chickens, good eatin'...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

This is an actual news story. I have reformed from making up stories without advance notification.

Edgar, where's the fun in that? Wink Laughing Think "entertainment value"!

Nice story, by the way.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:43 pm
@Reyn,
They all got wise. I only did it as an experiment, to see how wild it could get before readers began calling me on it.
Reyn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

They all got wise. I only did it as an experiment, to see how wild it could get before readers began calling me on it.

hehe, I would like the results of that experiment. Wink

I dunno, I find I get ignored no matter what I do. So, I just try to have some fun. Either folks will appreciate the humor, or call you a "lying sack of sh*t", right?

I've almost given up trying to start my own topics. There doesn't appear to be much point or incentive.

As you may have noticed, I've hardly posted this last week.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:36 pm
@Rockhead,
And Auntie Molotov thanks you for refraining from teaching Fred swear words, I swear enough as it is. Fred's favorite phrase remains, "Hi Fred."

African Greys are incredibly intelligent. I've seen a couple of documentaries that show an understanding of abstract ideas that is beyond the ability of most other animals or birds.

And Edgar, I'm with you. Animals are far more reliable friends than many humans.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 08:55 am
@Diane,
I've seen some documentaries, re African Greys. I read a book on Starlings, once, by an author whose name eludes me just now, and articles on crows' intelligence. Some birds like to steal shiny articles from us to adorn their nests with what appears to be decorations. So many things. And, yet, the patterns of behavior, such as detouring around a stone in the path, long after the stone was removed, indicates certain limitations. I loved the films of the geese flying along with the airplane.
0 Replies