Montana

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:22 am
I love bottling all the stuff I get from my garden. Does anyone in here get into canning as well? I think the thing I love the most about it is that I use no chemicals in my garden and no preserves when I'm canning, so it makes for healthier eating. I also deep freeze a lot of my harvest and it's nice to know what I'm eating. I also love making all kinds of jam and everthing looks so pretty in the bottles.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,720 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:47 am
I'm with you Montana in my past canning season was my favorite time of year.

Jams and jellies always remind me of jewels. We had an apricot tree, plus lemon, and oranges when I was a kid.

You are right I always loved knowing that the food in the beatiful glass jars was chemical free.

I like to make all sorts of relishes and hot sauces as well but these days I do not cook much. Actually I do not cook at all any more.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 09:57 am
Oh how I'd love to have apricot, lemon, and orange trees :-) My cousin is going to give me a cherry tree and I'm all excited about that. The weather has been holding out very well so far which is great because my garden decided to take its sweet time this year. I bottled my first batch of tomatoes a few nights ago and I have a ton left to go. I love cooking, so those ton of tomatoes are gonna make some great batches of spaghetti sauce, soups, chilli, etc...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:01 am
Tomatos are my favorite to can since you do not have to worry about poisoning your self of your friends and family. And opening them in the depths of winter is the best.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:08 am
No doubt. I have a large crop this year, so I may have to get more bottles. Last years crop got me almost enough to last the whole year. I finished them up on a batch of chilli a few months back.
0 Replies