Jean Yves Blondeau + Roller Suit + Swiss Alps = Amazing

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:08 am
Jean Yves Blondeau (aka Rollerman) showing off his roller suit in the Swiss Alps

More after the jump:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,325 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:09 am
@Robert Gentel,

Quote:
Frenchman Jean-Yves Blondeau first conceived of his plastic Buggy Rollin' suit in 1994, while he was a student at Olivier de Serres design school, in Paris. But the invention, which allows a wearer to top 60 miles per hour while maintaining any position found in the Kama Sutra, didn't exactly catch fire with consumers. Not one to give up, Blondeau recently refined the suit to a stripped-down 31-wheel version and developed his own playbook of moves, like the Zaphial (rolling flat on your back with all four limbs pointed straight up) and the Smooth Buggy Dog (three limbs on the ground and one rolling along a wall).
Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 11:41 am
Ridiculous! I would love to do this! (Okay, not down the Swiss Alps, but definitely through my neighborhood)

I wonder if it is actually more safe then Street Luge is. I would imagine similar speeds, but in street luge if you fall off the luge then they get to tumble and skid across the ground to a stop. If your in this roller suit, you just keep on going! I'm guessing the risk of injury is more from slamming into the side of a building, or off a cliff or something.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
How does he use his brakes?
Definitely crazy, especially in Switzerland where the inclines are steep and
the curves are sharp, not to mention Swiss drivers who can be extra slow.
What would he do if the guy in front of him suddenly hits the brakes?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:50 pm
@CalamityJane,
I have no idea. Hell I'm amazed he was confident enough in his ability to steer that suit to try this. Did you see the part with oncoming traffic? I'd be as worried about the cars coming the other way as any that might stop in front of me.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Me too! Towards the end where he was behind the motorcycle and couldn't
pass, the video conveniently jumped to the next scene. I would have liked
to see how he mastered that obstacle. In the end, he passed another bike,
but that was easier...
0 Replies