Palin and the Christianist tradition

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:10 am
She's yet another Christianist zealot in the mold of Lieutenant General William G. Boykin, and George W. Bush claiming that God tasked the US' slaughter and destruction in Iraq.

Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer Gene Johnson, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 3, 10:48 pm ET
exerpt
ANCHORAGE, Alaska " Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

exerpt
Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:16 am
@InfraBlue,
Yup, that God's a tricky character, first he tells a bunch of nutjobs to blow up some buildings, then he tells another bunch of nutjobs to blow up a country. What will he think of next.

There is nothing more dangerous for humanity than to have God instructing world leaders directly.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:18 am
@rosborne979,
Might be. But the American God is the best in the world!
rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I guess this is what we should expect when we have a Wild Stallion and a "Pitbull with Lipstick" vying for the presidency on the qualification that most voters "would like to have a beer with them".

Sometimes I think humanity will simply collapse under the weight of abject stupidity.
Sglass

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:41 am
@rosborne979,
Does tend to make one shudder.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 10:07 am
What's most disturbing and frightening is that so many Americans believe what they're saying.
cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 06:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You mean you don't believe in self sufficiency, hard work, and that the government owes you nothing? LOL!!!

Thread full of idiots.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 06:37 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Yup, that God's a tricky character, first he tells a bunch of nutjobs to blow up some buildings, then he tells another bunch of nutjobs to blow up a country. What will he think of next.

There is nothing more dangerous for humanity than to have God instructing world leaders directly.

What is more dangerous is world leaders using God as an excuse for their innate stupidity.

gungasnake

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:15 pm
@cjhsa,
Quote:
Thread full of idiots.

That's higher than I'd rate em...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:32 pm
@cjhsa,
Like most things, you missed infrablue's first post which talks about "god and the war in Iraq." You're on the wrong thread - most of the time.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:51 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: rosborne979 (Post 3387976)
rosborne979 wrote:

What is more dangerous is world leaders using God as an excuse for their innate stupidity.

Same thing, right?

Intrepid

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:52 pm
@rosborne979,
Nope
rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:21 pm
@Intrepid,
Oh, I see. You took my first comment literally. Actually I was being facetious; since there is no GOD, then it's pretty obvious that these politicians who claim such an entity is telling them what to do, are actually just rationalizing an excuse for their own choices (which is what you said).

I just assumed that it was obvious that there is no GOD telling these people what to do. Sorry if I jumped the gun on that assumption.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:25 pm
@rosborne979,
I wonder why this doesn't bother more people? People of religion say such things as "because god wants me to...." then proceed to then "follow" god's will.

Do they hear voices, or is it a "feeling?" When they "talk" to god, does he answer back? It raises more questions than answers. * Scary.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:45 pm
I'm visiting my family this weekend. Every one of them is a God-fearing born-again Christian. By the time I get back, I should know all about why God wants John McCain and Sarah (big guns) Palin to be running the country. I'll let you all know when I get back.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:00 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Oh, I see. You took my first comment literally. Actually I was being facetious; since there is no GOD, then it's pretty obvious that these politicians who claim such an entity is telling them what to do, are actually just rationalizing an excuse for their own choices (which is what you said).

I just assumed that it was obvious that there is no GOD telling these people what to do. Sorry if I jumped the gun on that assumption.

Despite your narrow thinking, there are people who disagree with you regarding there being no God.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:43 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Despite your narrow thinking, there are people who disagree with you regarding there being no God.

Ok, I should have been more specific. The concept of God is too broad to rule out, but how about there being a God that is TALKING to them (which is really what I had in mind)?

Do you really think that some God is talking to these people? Do you think that any rational person should consider the possibility that when someone says 'God told them to do it', that they are right?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:29 pm
@rosborne979,
I'm also waiting for their answer(s). Won't hold my breath, of coarse. LOL
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:02 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Intrepid wrote:

I don't see how believing/thinking there is no god can be described as "narrow thinking", Intrepid. It seems that one has to expand their thinking to come to the conclusion that there is no god.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:31 pm
@JTT,
That's so true; the majority of Americans claim to belong to one religion or another - I think the number is over 90 percent. For any individual to believe otherwise takes much contemplation and introspection. How does one think outside the box when their family, friends, and almost everybody else believes there's a god?

Most have difficulty with the concept of atheism, because most are taught from early on in their life that there is a god. The parents, siblings, and others one comes in contact with all "believe." When one is trained early in life about their culture and religion, it becomes part and parcel of the individual - most times.

Some of us have overcome those "handicaps."