shewolfnm

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:14 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:

Good plan... can yer pick me up a catalogue whilst you're there please Very Happy

we went.
Forgot the catalog~!!!!!!

aaahhh!
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:15 pm
@shewolfnm,
actually, I soaked them in heavy cream.
Didnt seem to do much to them

im thinking.. milk this time.. correct?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:18 pm
@shewolfnm,
day - amn.... havta go revisit a? Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:22 pm
@shewolfnm,
Using milk in cooking meat is important in northern italy, and maybe elsewhere, I don't know. It's a key thing in Marcella Hazan's bolognese sauce, which is of course based on sauces made by the people in Bologna for a long time. She uses it with both pork and beef, again, based on regional cuisine writ down.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:24 pm
@ossobuco,
milk

cow milk?
Goat milk?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:27 pm
@shewolfnm,
Swedish meatballs are more likely to call for bread soaked in cow milk than goat milk.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:28 pm
@shewolfnm,
I screwed up, edited, here's the last sentence --
When I do her milk with meat recipes, I don't use low fat milk, actually buy regular milk. (Makes my grocery cart shake, I tell ya.)

Well, the northern italian recipes I've seen involving things like pork roasts and milk seem to assume it is cow's milk. But since they have goats there too, I suppose that in a peasant dish of yore, milk is milk. It could be fun to play with.

I've posted Hazan's bolognese recipe a million times, will find a link. But that's just one recipe, where the cooking with milk thing is a regional technique.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
well...

ugh. Grocery cart shaking.. yup.. mine too.. ugh barf.
Anyway

The good thing about it, is that you can buy a one quart thing of milk and use it all up with out having to purchase a ghastly gallon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Here's the MH bolognese recipe. Could be considered boring, but I love it, sheer velvet. On the other hand, I've been known to add some garlic.

http://able2know.org/topic/109277-1#post-3012220
0 Replies