What are the best films you have seen this year? Why did you like them so much?

glitterbag

Sun 15 May, 2016 01:39 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

'Railway Man'.

Based on a True story about an British POW in a Japanese camp meeting his captor many years later. Multifaceted ...

I caught that movie a while back, extremely well done. I think everyone should see it.
glitterbag

Sun 15 May, 2016 01:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Last night we watch "The Visit", its a M. Knight Shyamalan film about 2 children who visit the grandparents they have never met before. Very creepy and definitely worth watching.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 22 May, 2016 09:11 pm
I really enjoyed All The Way, a biopic about LBJ starring Bryan Cranston. It's impossible to match the tone of the time, and I wasn't really expecting authenticity. I just wanted to see a few good actors perform some interesting roles, and low expectations win the day.

I liked it.
0 Replies

usmanbin

Fri 3 Jun, 2016 09:51 am
I don't know how it sounds but I like Horror movies and see a couple of like Poltergiest.
0 Replies

alimurtaza1325

Sun 22 Oct, 2017 09:13 am
@dlowan,
Home Alone ,it is the best movie , a child learn how to survive at home when nobody is there to help , and he manage it very well and tell others even a child can create hurdles for thief.
0 Replies

Natalie333

Tue 19 Dec, 2017 03:14 pm
@dlowan,
Well, this year I saw "The Choice", I liked it very much as it includes everything - drama, romantic, funny scenes. Also I watched many films with Tom Hanks - "The Bridge of Spies", "Saving Mr. Banks", "Apollo 13", "Philadelphia", "You've got Mail", "Sully". I can't even say which one is the best, Tom Hanks is my favourite actor now.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 03:41 am
It would be Hidden Figures this year. I found it a truly excellent movie about math, computing, NASA, the cold war & space race, civil rights & women's rights. These girls were awesome.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Wed 20 Dec, 2017 09:12 pm
Nocturnal Animals: visual beauty hates its observer so that reality has to self-destruct

Alien Covenant: observation is only peaceful if it's not physically moved

My Cousin Rachel: something becomes impossible once it happens

0 Replies

Agent1741

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 09:04 pm
Big fan of Gary Oldman in The Darkest Hour, a very powerful movie for me but I guess I am biased. Also liked Red Sparrow, Ghost In A Shell, Annihalation. Love The Holliday for various reasons. Priest (with Lilly Collins, Phils daughter.) Not a star wars fan & getting tired of all these marvel movies. My favourite movies of all time are Midnight Express, The Deer Hunter, Shirley Valentine & The Holliday
Agent1741

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 09:10 pm
@Agent1741,
I forgot to add Local Hero & Hitman to my likes!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 11:53 pm
@Agent1741,
I'm a little rusty, was Midnight Express the story of an American caught trying to smuggle weed out of Turkey. I may have my movies confused.
roger

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 12:47 am
@glitterbag,
And I seem to have a reading problem. Milagro Bean Field War came out several decades ago.
glitterbag

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 01:49 am
@roger,
Relax, there are several threads about movies (past and present). I think everybody should watch Milagro Bean Field War...maybe Sunset Boulevard (although it might not connect with much younger viewers), and I think, A Face in The Crowd and the Oxblood Incident are also must see.

Hi Roger, hope you are doing well. GB
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 06:29 am
I have a big want film. I don’t have any knowledge of the Brit politician portrayed by Hugh Grant, so I think I’ll enjoy the film if I do some research on Jeremy Thorpe first, but the reviews are stratospheric, and the idea of goofy romcom meister doing an impeccable, serious turn is very interesting.

If anyone’s seen it, I’d love to hear what you thought.

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/02/hugh-grant-is-uncanny-liberals-glued-to-a-very-english-scandal-jeremy-thorpe?__twitter_impression=true

Hugh Grant is uncanny': Liberals glued to A Very English Scandal
Grant is remarkable as Jeremy Thorpe and the basic thrust is right, say people linked to the story. Shame about the cars ...

Martin Kettle
Martin Kettle
@martinkettle
Sat 2 Jun 2018 05.00 EDT

Watching Hugh Grant’s TV portrayal of Jeremy Thorpe, it is almost impossible to believe that such an extraordinarily reckless public figure could really have prospered in 20th-century British politics. But he did.

The insouciance, the exhibitionism, the darkness and the utter unreliability that Grant captures so brilliantly in A Very English Scandal may seem like a grotesque caricature of Thorpe. But it isn’t.

Forty years on, and especially in the social media age, it seems inconceivable that a major politician could have led a double life as a promiscuous gay man and a pillar of the parliamentary and social establishment, without his colleagues cottoning on. Especially when he tried to have his former lover murdered. But he did – and they didn’t.

Did you know at the time that Thorpe was gay, I asked his successor as Liberal leader, David Steel, this week. Steel’s response, speaking from his home in Scotland, was instant, vehement and almost astonished. “No. Absolutely not. It was a surprise when it all came out.”
izzythepush

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 06:36 am
@Lash,
It's not a film, it's a three parter. I remember the scandal when I was a kid, and the jokes it spawned, most of which are just plain homophobic, but this one wasn't to bad.

What do Captain Kirk and Jeremy Thorpe have in common?

They both say, 'Give me more thrust Scotty.'

It's in the news today.

Quote:
A probe into a scandal involving former Liberal leader Jeremy Thorpe will be reopened after police may have wrongly assumed one of the suspects was dead.

A 2015 investigation into the alleged attempted murder of his lover - Norman Scott - was closed in 2017.

Gwent Police assumed Andrew Newton - who shot Mr Scott's dog and claimed he was paid to kill Mr Scott - had died. But they now say he may still be alive.

Mr Scott said he thought police were "continuing the cover up".

The revelations have been unearthed in the BBC Four documentary The Jeremy Thorpe Scandal.

BBC Panorama journalist Tom Mangold, who has investigated the case since the 1970s, said the investigation had ended because police claimed Newton was dead.

Mr Mangold said it "must start again" and he "wouldn't be surprised at all" if Newton was alive, adding: "When I knew Newton he was a fit, young man."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44336859
0 Replies

Agent1741

Sat 9 Jun, 2018 02:02 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes it was.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 9 Jun, 2018 05:54 pm
Letter from Masanjia is still the best I've seen so far this year.

Learned a lot, reflected a lot. Not an easy film but worthwhile.

I wish the director had explained the black/white art in the film. I was at the world premiere. Leon was there for a Q&A and learning more about the art really helped me understand even more.

https://resizing.flixster.com/2zaLdBD9Lwcci_i7YF9695s7Bg8=/fit-in/1152x864/v1.bjsxOTMxNDA1O2o7MTc3NTI7MTIwMDsxMjAwOzU0OQ
0 Replies

mmak7081

Fri 10 Aug, 2018 07:00 am
@dlowan,
Interstellar
0 Replies

LaborU

Thu 30 Aug, 2018 06:18 am
@dlowan,
Well, first of all, Altered Carbon is a movie that everybody should see in that year.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Tue 13 Nov, 2018 11:32 am
I enjoyed Christopher Robin, which I thought was the best live action Disney remake
0 Replies