Portal to Maya Underworld Found in Mexico?

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 04:01 pm
A labyrinth filled with stone temples and pyramids in 14 caves"some underwater"have been uncovered on Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula
Quote:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/images/080822-maya-maze_big.jpg
According to Maya myth, the souls of the dead had to follow a dog with night vision on a horrific and watery path and endure myriad challenges before they could rest in the afterlife.

In one of the recently found caves, researchers discovered a nearly 300-foot (90-meter) concrete road that ends at a column standing in front of a body of water.

"We have this pattern now of finding temples close to the water"or under the water, in this most recent case," said Guillermo de Anda, lead investigator at the research sites.

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 05:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
oh wonderful.

It is stories like this one that strike my fantasy of being an archeologist . How i would love to come across this.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 08:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Fascinating, thank you.

Makes me wonder if the religion used revelatory rituals, like the Eleusinian Mysteries, which "revealed truths" about life and death to participants?

Is much known about the religion?

(Off to look)
dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:56 am
@dlowan,
Just in case anyone else got interested in Mayans after looking at this thread, I found an interesting article with a lot of pictures here...

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/08/maya-rise-fall/gugliotta-text
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:33 am
@dlowan,
I'll read that tomorrow (I'm still up reading the damned new yorker). Read a lot about the mayans quite a while ago but a lot has been discovered since.
dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:47 am
@ossobuco,
Yes! They were saying that there is extensive archaelogical material still to be discovered, and that good reading of Mayan texts was fairly recent, and improvements ongoing.

Saw a wonderful exhibition of artefacts from the Aztec/Mayan etc cultures years ago at the National Gallery
littlek

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:27 am
@Robert Gentel,
Damn, Robert, you're coming up with some great thread topics!
Mame

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:38 am
@Robert Gentel,
You post some of the most interesting and diverse threads on her, Robert. Thank you. I find this stuff fascinating.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:18 am
@littlek,
It's easy when you use the wisdom of crowds to find it. Most of the stuff I post I found on other aggregation sites with voting that puts the interesting stuff at the top. Within a couple seconds I can see what people thought were the most interesting articles of the day, week, month year etc.
littlek

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:20 am
@Robert Gentel,
I have been looking for more pictures of this site. None to be found besides the one you posted and one of the lead archeologist. I guess I'll have to wait.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:48 am
@littlek,
I guess you found the other photo I found.

Here's another article with one more photo for the others:

http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSN1442474520080815
littlek

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:43 am
@Robert Gentel,
I didn't find any photos, but I did fidn a cool game-type-animation-thingie....

http://www.xibalbastudios.com/es/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 12:59 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Yes! They were saying that there is extensive archaelogical material still to be discovered, and that good reading of Mayan texts was fairly recent, and improvements ongoing.
Saw a wonderful exhibition of artefacts from the Aztec/Mayan etc cultures years ago at the National Gallery

Yes, the good reading of the texts happened after I went to Tikal etc. I've read about it, but only lightly.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:56 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
Re: Robert Gentel (Post 3383368)
Damn, Robert, you're coming up with some great thread topics!

Ya-ha
Joe(love love love)Nation
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 07:56 am
@Robert Gentel,
I wonder if the Mayan Underworld is now gentrified and Disneyfied due to all of the American tourists visiting due to this inter-dimensional gateway? Wink
0 Replies