The best music video ever: Hurt by Johnny Cash

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:09 pm
Hurt by Trent Reznor, was first released by Nine Inch Nails but as Reznor himself put it after watching Johnny Cash's music video of the cover "It instantly became his song after that."

The video is a powerful one as it is the last work by Johnny Cash and the video is brutally honest about his short time left on earth. Reznor didn't fully appreciate the cover till he saw it on video and then had this to say of it:

"I pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore… It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning " different, but every bit as pure."

I don't watch music videos often, but this is easily the best music video of all time as far as I am concerned.

Johnny Cash - Hurt

For more of Trent Reznor's perspective here's a good interview by Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/7378167/in_other_words_trent_reznor

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I've seen it before, but still...wow.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:20 pm
@2PacksAday,
I've seen it many times now, but it still sends a shiver down my spine each time.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Not disagreein' neither, private stash...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 07:50 pm
With that ravaged, puffy face and broken voice, it is one of the most powerful videos I've ever seen.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:18 pm
Apparently you need to know a bit about Johnny Cash to really "get" this video. That, or I'm just completely missing something. All I know about Johnny Cash is hes been a singer for a long time. So when I watched it, all I saw was an old guy singing, with some random black and white footage, and jesus mixed in there.

I guess I'm lightening the mood a bit here (hope that's okay) but here are some of my favorites:

OK Go: Here it goes again

Weezer: Pork and Beans

Foo Fighters: Big Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVBUyTHy2v4
(I couldn't find a version that allows embedding, so you'll have to go to youtube.com to see it)
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 03:28 pm
@Nick Ashley,
I didn't know anything about Cash before seeing this video. It's poignant because it's a man's parting message before dying and is honest about what it is, showing Cash basically saying goodbye.

"You can have it all, my empire of dirt" (shows flashes of his records and awards) "everyone I know goes away in the end" (his deceased wife fades), "If I could start again A million miles away" (flashes back to his youth)...

And goodbye it was, as he died shortly afterwards.

Quote:
I guess I'm lightening the mood a bit here (hope that's okay)

I bet you are the guy cracking jokes at a funeral aren't ya? ;-)
Nick Ashley

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I bet you are the guy cracking jokes at a funeral aren't ya? ;-)

Hey, you are the one that titled the thread 'best music video ever'. If you titled it 'saddest video ever' or 'most moving video ever' Then I would have steered clear... Smile
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 03:44 pm
@Nick Ashley,
You'll grow a sad bone one day. Anywho, I created a new thread for creative music videos, and have some questions about one of yours, post em over there.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 05:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
This vid has turned up in at least three different threads on A2K.

I think it touches people with a bit more life experience as well as a bit more knowledge of Cash's life trajectory. Empathy helps too. Music appreciation is completely individual, that some of us agree just goes to prove that we really are the same species.
0 Replies

jmcg

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2013 02:24 pm
@2PacksAday,
Every now and then I need to see it. Just watched it again today is it amazingly powerful and memorable.
0 Replies