The Screaming Meat on the Dinner Plate

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:04 pm
I have been able to catch up with episodes of Tales From the Dark Side this past week. A UHF channel has taken to airing the program at seven PM, on weekdays. Yesterday's first episode featured a woman who received a mysterious package. Turns out, the content related to weight loss. She was instructed to put an object in her ear before her next meal. So, she is in this nice restaurant with her date, with this nice steak dinner before her. Every time she attempts to slice off a bite, the meat screams in agony, unnoticed by her boyfriend. Upset, she calls off the date and goes home. She discovers a second package, containing this time, a pair of glasses. She impulsively tries them on. After a moment, she tries to remove them. They are fixed to her face, permanently. Likewise, the ear contraption. Now that she wears the glasses, the fruit and vegetables have begun talking to her, begging her not to eat them. She ends up, dead, after sewing her own lips together.

I have wondered how many a2k members have the sort of mind to produce this stuff. How about it? Got a Tale From the Dark Side in you? Please post it here.

Sglass

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Is this for real?
Dudley Bowring

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
That show sounds very exciting.

I may have to have a lie down after hearing just your description!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
Many years ago and far away (the tale starts) I read a paperback book of Alfred Hitchcock selected stories, of which I remember The Lottery and one about people on an island getting covered with fungus. This one sounds promising for a similar book.

Adding, to me short stories are getting longer and longer. Gone the days of O'Henry and lots of other folks I read in my youth. Now I'm thinking... short dirges.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:30 pm
@Sglass,
It's a TV series. I can't say when these episodes originally ran, but, in tonight's show, a writer used a typewriter, but he also had a VHS tape in his hand at one point.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I read the Hitchcock magazine a few times. Too long ago to recall specifics.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:20 pm
Thomas Disch had a wonderful way of taking the macabre to extreme heights. The M.D. comes to mind and what happens to one of the characters near the end of the novel is a stroke of evil genius.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:25 pm
About Thomas M Disch
Poet and cynic, Thomas M. Disch brought to the sf of the New Wave a camp sensibility and a sardonicism that too much sf had lacked. His sf novels include Camp Concentration, with its colony of prisoners mutated into super-intelligence by the bacteria that will in due course kill them horribly, and On Wings of Song, in which many of the brightest and best have left their bodies for what may be genuine, or entirely illusory, astral flight and his hero has to survive until his lover comes back to him; both are stunningly original books and both are among sf's more accomplishedly bitter-sweet works.

In recent years, Disch had turned to ironically moralized horror novels like The Businessman, The MD, The Priest and The Sub in which the nightmare of American suburbia is satirized through the terrible things that happen when the magical gives people the chance to do what they really really want. Perhaps Thomas M. Disch's best known work, though, is The Brave Little Toaster, a reworking of the Brothers Grimm's "Town Musicians of Bremen" featuring wornout domestic appliances -- what was written as a satire on sentimentality became a successful children's animated musical.

Thomas M. Disch died on July 4, 2008.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/thomas-m-disch/
ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:28 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Never heard of him, thanks for the comment, Gus.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:58 pm
It was a mid 80's series, ran thru my high school years, my mom and I used to watch it together every week. One of the first episodes was about an older man that had died in his upstairs bedroom, but he still got up and came down for supper every night....he refused to believe that he had passed on.

The darkside is always there, waiting for us to enter....waiting to enter us.

Great series.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:27 pm
@2PacksAday,
My little paperback of hitchcock stories was from the fifties, probably late fifties, or at most extremely early sixties. Would that I kept it, as I don't see it immediately online.
2PacksAday

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:05 am
@ossobuco,
I used to watch his old tv program, it was from that same era...I was thinking they were hour long episodes, but I just checked and they were little 30 min spots....I'm thinking it was the B&W film, that is causing me to remember them being longer....I guess I've been around my wife too long, she refuses to watch anything that was shot in B&W on the basis that it is all too old/long/dull.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 04:42 am
@2PacksAday,
There were three Hitchcock series, as I recall. First the half hour black and white, then the hour long in color, then a later reworking of the original series, using new actors and in color.
My favorite Hitchcock features Bruce Dern, Pat Butram, and a woman, whose name I forgot. Butram is the farmer, a crass, unsympathetic character, who mistreats his wife. Enter Dern, the drifter. The farmer hires him to pick his fruit. Right away, Dern begins taunting and frightening the woman. He kills her pet squirel. The farmer is too cowardly to defend his wife, too greedy to fire Dern. In the end she kills her husband and frames Bruce Dern.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:26 am
@Sglass,
Quote:
Is this for real?

Yes, I saw this episode a few years back while on vacation in Florida. Local channel was broadcasting reruns.

I've always thought an episode involving a pedophile priest would be good. The priest is tormenting a little boy who later turns out to be Jesus in disguise. The priest gets pulled down to Hell and is forced to watch The Trinity Broadcasting Network for all eternity.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:49 am
Richard Mathis wrote stories for "Twilight Zone" in the 1950's. Several of his novels have been made into movies since then: "I Am Legend" "Stir of Echoes" "Somewhere in Time" "The Legend of Hell House", and "What Dreams May Come". Stephen King gave credit to Richard Mathis as a major inspiration.
JPB

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:57 am
@wandeljw,
Yeah, I was thinking "Twilight Zone" as I read the opening post. Woulda fit right in with that series.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:28 am
@edgarblythe,
I like my meat the same way I like my women....
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:59 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Small and wrinkled?
cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:07 am
@gustavratzenhofer,
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

cjhsa wrote:

Small and wrinkled?

As opposed to four legged, hairy, and bleating, sure.
aidan

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:34 am
@cjhsa,
See, THAT was funny CJ

I used to watch this show called 'One Step Beyond' when I was a kid and it would terrify me, but I loved it - I even remember the theme music that played eerily while an empty swing swang (swung) back and forth in an empty playground at night.

I wasn't supposed to watch it - but it was on something like 11:30 at night on saturdays and I'd wait till my mom and dad went to bed and then go downstairs and watch it and the one I remember distinctly was one where this very intellectual, sort of nerdy guy/girl (I can't remember which) gets locked in the library and s/he can't get out and s/he looks out the window and all the cars in the street have changed so that they are more representative of the l930's or something and s/he starts reading the newspapers and s/he finds one from the date that s/he's in the library - only like twenty years before- and s/he reads that on this date a murder takes place - IN THE LIBRARY!!!!