The 2008 Democrat Convention

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:29 am
Michelle's job at the convention was to rebuild her negative image so that she could become an asset rather than a liability for Obama. I think she probably at least partially did that at least by not saying anything to increase her negatives.

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/mrz082708dAPR.jpg

I am cynical enough to believe that Hillary's intent with her speech was not party unification at all, but to underscore how much better a choice she would have been. I think she succeeded quite well with her own base in doing that. I am also cynical enough to believe that Bill and Hillary will not be doing ANYTHING to seriously improve Barack Obama's chances in November. I believe they have calculated on how to keep the focus on themselves to this point, and since a great deal of current coverage focuses on them or at least includes them, they have been successful in that too.

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/mrz082808dAPR.jpg

If Bill sticks even mostly to his assigned script tonight, the Obama camp will be deeply relieved. And I think they also have their fingers crossed re Biden's speech too as he is also capable of pulling some pretty good gaffes:

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/080826beelertoon_c-.jpg

No indication that the football arena is off the schedule though, and Fox News this morning said a crowd of 77,000 is anticipated. This will do nothing to dispel Barack Obama's rock star image and won't provide the feeling of closeness, intimacy, and togetherness that is normally there during the acceptance speech surrounded by delegates and supporters, but Obama is capable of giving a really great speech. He can hope that it will wrest the limelight away from the others.

0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:38 am
I truly wonder what would make people happy.... if perhaps the Clintons and the Obamas took baths in the same tub together every Saturday?

I perform with another guy who I admire tremendously and get along with well.... I tell people about his extensive talent and how happy and lucky I feel to work with him. We share a mission and do whatever is necessary to make it work.....

We do not however, socialize outside of work.... we don't vacation together, we run our own programs when not working together.... and no one ever questions why we aren't joined at the hip....why is this expected from the Clintons and the Obamas? Not like I'm comparing myself to them....
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:46 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
To quote you: ". . . .I tell people about his extensive talent and how happy and lucky I feel to work with him. . ."

Hillary didn't do that. Personally I admire her for not doing that because I think it would have been maybe the biggest lie she ever told and I think it would have come across as phony and pandering. I don't think she thinks Obama has the right stuff and I don't think she will be at all happy to be working with him. At least not now. That could change but I won't bet the farm that it will.

But some kind of affirmation of Obama as leader, commander, etc. was what the media was looking for. They didn't get it.

The Convention is supposed to provide the candidate a bump and a successful launch into the final weeks of the campaign. With the abysmal record and approval ratings of the Bush administration, Obama should be ahead by double digits. He isn't. That is a concern.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:53 am
@Foxfyre,
you must have seen a different speech. She listed all the qualities we needed in a president.... stressed the need for a future looking progressive president with a dedication to the important issues... yes she said that's why she ran and that's what she represented.... so what? It's true..... she clearly stated McCain was not that guy.... and then REPEATEDLY said Obama was and that's why she was throwing all her support behind him and why the people who voted for her should as well.

She didn't genuflect... is that the problem? gee whiz.
kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:53 am
The fact that Foxfyre and others think she didn't do enough to show her support for Obama or that she was still campaigning is completely irrelevant. They aren't the ones who the Obama people were worrying about convincing. It's all those Clinton supporters that matter, and I think that Hillary's message wasn't lost on them at all. She made a surprisingly good speech yesterday, and threw out some real zingers as well. She definitely helped Obama's cause last night.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:57 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Oops. Not a PROUD WIFE...giggle

My wife made the same comment!
okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:59 am
@McGentrix,
I noticed that too, it was an obvious omission as she opened up the speech.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:00 am
@kickycan,
Nicely stated, kickycan.

I also think that it's in the interest of many of the talking heads we see to keep the Obama-Clinton rivalry as big of a story as possible -- even if it isn't actually nearly as much of a problem as they want us to think.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:00 am
@McGentrix,
I noticed that immediately myself and commented to squinney on it. She did however give him his props later in the speech. In the interest of fairness she did not mention being a proud daughter either.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:01 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
(Minor question to Lash... niggles at me every time I see this thread. Why not "The 2008 Democratic Convention"?)

He! That's exactly what I thought when I came back to this thread....
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:03 am
@Foxfyre,
Good assessment, although to me she still is not at all likable, but she would have appeared slightly more likable in that speech than usual. But your biggest point is that she is still campaigning like crazy, that is right.

What is it with some Clinton supporters that are so devoted, they sob when she loses, whats up with that? Perhaps only a feminist would understand it?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:03 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

you must have seen a different speech. She listed all the qualities we needed in a president.... stressed the need for a future looking progressive president with a dedication to the important issues... yes she said that's why she ran and that's what she represented.... so what? It's true..... she clearly stated McCain was not that guy.... and then REPEATEDLY said Obama was and that's why she was throwing all her support behind him and why the people who voted for her should as well.

She didn't genuflect... is that the problem? gee whiz.

I'm sure the perceptions are different depending on which side folks expect to cast their vote. I'm sure the perceptions are different depending on who is the favored candidate. If Hillary was really promoting Barack though, don't you think she would have at least recognized his leadership abilities? Said that he was ready to lead? And perhaps made the symbolic gesture of releasing her delegates and encouraging them to vote for him?

In my opinion, Hillary was the better choice of the two. I am not criticizing her for not doing that. I do think she is setting herself up for her next run at the prize though because realistically, she only has one more good chance.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:04 am
@nimh,
You don't like partisan bluster on a political forum, nimh? You need to get over it.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:05 am
@sozobe,
agreed. No matter what Bill Clinton says tonight... and I believe he will do a great job... the media, republicans and a small portion of Obama zealots and Clinton haters will not be satisfied. Tough ****. Most people, the ones that count, will get it.

I wish Bill could wrap his speech up by telling those groups of people to go screw themselves..... of course he can't and won't.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:08 am
Something about what some are saying here and what pundits are saying all over the tv that has been bothering me.

Did she say enough about Obama and what a great candidate he is? What she did say... Did she say it right? Did she say this but mean that? Was what she said driven by self interest? Is she bitter and therefore purposely not releasing her delegates?

If Obama is all that, would she need to be putting all that into her speech?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:12 am
@squinney,
My queen.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:16 am
@squinney,
Squinney, the reason her words are scrutinized with a fine tooth comb is because alot of people don't trust the Clintons, they aren't sure what angle they will try, especially the Obama people, they don't trust her any further than they can throw her. There is no love lost between the two camps.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:18 am
@okie,
I believe squinney's question was rhetorical.... Laughing

Of course I could be wrong...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:24 am
@sozobe,
I associate democratic with the style of government, not the party. I have happened upon the fact that it irks Dems... Not quite sure why.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:29 am
@Lash,
Sure, but the name is the Democratic party. And I'm sure you well know that calling it 'Democrat' instead of 'democratic' is a dig used by Republicans against that party.

Cycloptichorn