The 2008 Democrat Convention

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:37 pm
@Lash,
Remember, I'm not watching, so throw some salt..

It seems by her speech that Hillary corroborates Obama's wise decision to avoid any selection of her future work hours.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Actually, I am less worried than I was before.

Obama didn't pick Hillary for his VP choice and now she is free to undermine is efforts.

Her speech gave me no reason to believe she and Bill do not intend to submarine Obama if they can.

As for the rest of your silly ad hominem jibes, I could drink a fifth of scotch and still make more sense than you.
Lash

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Guffaw! You should have heard Charles Barkley explaining why it was wise that O didn't select Hillary. He was trying to step back out of a statement that was basically saying Obama would have more trouble with the Clintons than any other aspect of the presidency, including war and the economy... True dat.
snood

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:42 pm
@Lash,
...To me? Finding something I can agree with you about, Lash.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:42 pm
@old europe,
I'm aware my comments aren't lined up with others (can I play with others?)

To OE,
Hillary always sounds insincere to me. Which is sticky since I sometimes agree with her.

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:44 pm
@snood,
You don't have to agree! Just want to know what you thought...good, bad, highs, lows...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's what you got from this speech? That she's going to undermine his efforts? I don't believe you for a second.

Quote:
I could drink a fifth of scotch and still make more sense than you.

Why don't you try? Laughing

Cycloptichorn

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:45 pm
@snood,
A largely accurate assessment.

She delivered the bare minimum of what was expected of her.

She did so, however, to preserve her own political future, rather than advancing Obama's.

If you have watched political conventions for the past 30 or 40 years you will realize that Hillary's was not a rousing endorsement of the party's candidate.

Why didn't Michelle ever smile during the speech? They showed her enough.
She's no fool, she knew what this speech actually mean't.
old europe

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Hehehe.... My comments aren't lined up at all... can't think straight, it's getting really early here!

I get that criticism.... it's what sounded very "Hillary Clinton" to me. Don't know it that's a good or a bad thing, right now. I'll need to listen to bits and pieces again when I'm awake.

This was interesting, though!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:47 pm
I thought this was one of Hillary's better efforts--she was not shrill. She was likable. And she was still campaigning like crazy.

I counted nine times I think that she evoked Obama's name as the one to support; however, one sharp commentator noted that when she said, "I support Barack Obama. . .", she omitted the 'and so should you' that followed in the printed script. I heard the standard party line, but I didn't hear a single compliment of Obama as a person--no mention of him as someone she respected, had come to know and appreciate, ready to lead, ready to be Commander in Chief, experienced, or any other indication that she thought he was the right man for the job.

And she did not release her delegates.

Switch over to CNN where they are interviewing a Hillary delegate. She was in tears and sobbed how obviously presidential Hillary was and how it was all going down the drain, yadda yadda. She would cast her vote for Hillary at the Convention. She would not vote for McCain. She didn't know if she could bring herself to vote for Obama.

Tomorrow it will be Bill Clinton and Joe Biden night. The scuttlebutt is that Clinton is not happy at all at getting bumped out of prime time. It is anybody's guess whether he will stick with his script.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:50 pm
@Lash,
I always liked Barkley, haven't heard/read him in a while. So, now I'll youtube or goog.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:51 pm
@Foxfyre,
You said it better than I could, Fox. I agree completely. Reminds me of the Kerry thing: ABB. It's hard to knock yourself out for a guy basically because he's not the other guy. Especially if he's unproven.

I do expect Obama's speech to be outrageously good, though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

A largely accurate assessment.

She delivered the bare minimum of what was expected of her.

She did so, however, to preserve her own political future, rather than advancing Obama's.

If you have watched political conventions for the past 30 or 40 years you will realize that Hillary's was not a rousing endorsement of the party's candidate.

Why didn't Michelle ever smile during the speech? They showed her enough.
She's no fool, she knew what this speech actually mean't.

I didn't see the speech, but I saw some review saying she smiled after all sorts of dour observations about people in trouble. Which is it, smiley girl or grump frump?

Please.. better crit.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 10:03 pm
Who was Gov Patterson looking at?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 10:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Michelle was stony faced every time the camera panned her during the speech, which was frequently, except when Hillary said that Michelle will make a great first lady, and she did smile then. She was smiling at the end of the speech when everybody was milling around. She is quoted as saying Hillary was great.

Meanwhile, I just heard that according to Sandy Crowley of CNN, Bill Clinton will not be attending Barack Obama's acceptance speech Thursday night. Interesting no?
ossobuco

@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

And she did not release her delegates.

That's true? **** her, controlling bitch.
I'm well aware that is misogynistic talk, but not from me, just straight.
Finn dAbuzz

@ossobuco,
I saw her laborious grin when Hillary said she would be a great First Lady.

Never saw her, otherwise, crack a smile.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 10:13 pm
@Foxfyre,
Bill!
waves arm...
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 10:16 pm
@ossobuco,
On my Michelle speech comment, that was about her own speech. But, never mind...

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 10:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Wow. I've never known you to talk like that.