dadpad

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:02 am
or is it spelled Lileth

Whats her story.

hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:07 am
@dadpad,
She was Frasier's wife (No. 2) I think.

http://thebuzz.sheknows.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/bebe-neuwirth-lilith-cheers.jpg
dadpad

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:10 am
@hingehead,
any other guesses?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:26 am
I googled and liked this description...

"...the mythological first wife of Adam, and the feminine dark side of the divine."

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Topics/Lilith/
squinney

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:27 am
The feminine dark side of divine... Haha! I love it. I'm changing my name to Lilith.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:39 am
@squinney,
so.....adam couldn't control his first wife and asked god for another wife?

Adam was the first man? eve was the first woman- made from adams rib. Where did this lilith bitch come from?
squinney

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:48 am
From what I'm reading, you might want to be careful about pursuing her.

I think I'm getting that she was more divine / demon / angel / spirit than Eve. When god gave her to Adam so he could have a mate and not have to screw the animals any more, Lilith wanted to mate in a different position than missionary. She didn't want to be submissive and beneath, but an equal. When Adam tried to force her to be on bottom, Lilith called out the secret name of god and flew away to the Red Sea where she mated with something and had a hundred offspring a day until the angels came to summons her back to Adam. She refused.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:17 am
@squinney,
In other words Lilith was perverted.... wanting to do it all kinds of ways..... I certainly approve of that.... sounds like she just wanted Adam to stick it in different places...... Adam.... buddy..... what's the problem?
dadpad

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:19 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
I read she was a red head!

That explains much
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:21 am
@dadpad,
red on the head like...... never mind.....
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 03:02 pm
@dadpad,

Lilith who?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 04:22 pm
History
In 1996, Sarah McLachlan became frustrated with concert promoters and radio stations that refused to feature two female musicians in a row.[1] Bucking conventional industry wisdom, she booked a successful tour for herself and Paula Cole. At least one of their appearances together - in McLachlan's home town, on September 14, 1996 - went by the name "Lilith Fair" and included performances by McLachlan, Cole, Lisa Loeb and Michelle McAdorey, formerly of Crash Vegas.

The next year, McLachlan founded the Lilith Fair tour, taking Lilith from the medieval Jewish legend that Lilith was Adam's first wife.

In 1997, Lilith Fair garnered a $16 million gross, making it the top-grossing of any touring festival.[1] Among all concert tours for that year, it was the 16th highest grossing.[1]

The festival was nicknamed "Breast-fest" or "Girlapalooza", because of its all girl contents, or "Lesbopalooza" because of the number of lesbian acts and its popularity among lesbian fans (despite a real festival using that name).[2][3]

[edit] Performers
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 05:28 pm
The only mention of Lilith in the entire Hebrew Bible is ONE single reference translated "screeching owl". Many Christians take this ancient mysticism story and attach it to the Bible. Genesis seems to elude to another female but one must twist words to actually get that meaning. I tend to require more in the Bible before I attach some external story and call it "gospel".

Are people saying the first woman of God was a lesbian? Interesting story but is it the truth? The story of Lilith blames homosexuals for the original sin... Maybe Sara M and the lesbians might consider that before they start touting the name like a mantra? Nice story I guess but I tend to reject it as biblical. Consider it is easy to take a word from the Bible when it has only one occurrence and build a story around it so that generations to come then consider it to be an extension of the creation story. Is it believable does the Bible give mention of it anywhere else? NO... The Bible usually is re-quoted in later passages to solidify the text. This is not the case at all with the Lilith story. There is zero mention of Lilith in any later biblical story or reference. The surviving story of Lilith indicates that Lilith was actually the devil because she desired to be independent of man. Does that really sound like a positive depiction of lesbians? Is it a sin for a woman to be independent? I think not!

Thus I tend to reject the story of Lilith as chauvinist literature. Many lesbians reject the Bible for the same apparent male dominated cultural reasons so to me it seems odd that they accept the story of Lilith which only digs the ditch MUCH deeper. The story of Lilith is a story of hatred directed toward a woman’s independence it certainly does not celebrate it. Lilith is (according to the tale) supposed to be the devil incarnate and "the devil wears Prada".

I stay clear of the Lilith story until I have more of a reason to consider it to be divinely inspired. To me the original sin was heterosexual sex. God desired both Adam and Eve's love, after they sinned they both covered their genitals with the prickly fig leaves. If the was another woman involved was Adam the only sinner? If Lilith was the culprit in the original sin then why did Adam react in a sin conscious way? Did they both have sex with her? This would have required that both women be present. So was Eve then really the second woman? Then what of Eve’s sin if she was not present yet? What of Adams sin if Eve and Lilith ran off together? Would Adam having sex with two woman have been the same level of sin? Why is the name Lilith omitted in the story of Genesis and only recorded in other external myths that do not bear the signature of Moses?

The only real observation concerning a “screeching owl” is the nocturnal trait that owls usually possess. I would start there rather than accept the full blown story of Lilith without question. It is an interesting story and that is about as far as I take it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 05:41 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Quote:
In other words Lilith was perverted.... wanting to do it all kinds of ways..... I certainly approve of that.... sounds like she just wanted Adam to stick it in different places...... Adam.... buddy..... what's the problem?

(typical Obama supporter)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:30 pm
<Snort>

Rex, honey, I think you have read too much into all of this. I'd never heard of Lilith until brief mention of the original Lilith Fair somewhere in the news many years ago. I was raised Christian and had never heard of her. I doubt there's any chance of her becoming a prominant part of the gospel.

Lesbians probably hold her up as someone to admire because she defied and fled from Adam rather than remain subserviant to him. I doubt they get all into the demon devil original sin blame stuff. They probably just view her as a strong female role model.

I really doubt Obama gives her much thought at all.
RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:47 pm
@squinney,
Being ordained clergy, that is one reason why left the church I attended because the "Christians" there were using the Lilith story to defend and justify their rejection of homosexuals. So if you have not heard of this up until now, consider yourself informed. It was other posters here in this thread that invoked the name "Adam" in connection to Lilith not me. I have just shed some well educated light on the whole subject? Adam is in the Christian Bible is he not?
martybarker

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:51 pm
Oh boy, look what you started Dadpad. BTW, what inspired you to bring up this topic?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:00 pm
There is evidence of prolific Goddess worship among many ancient homosexual peoples. I believe Lilith and monotheism in the form of an "invisible God" were possibly devised to discourage this. Even today this Goddess worship is evident among many gays and lesbians. I am not judging people for this, I am just pointing out what practices are still in extent. Let the cards fall where they may.
dadpad

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:57 am
@RexRed,
In Isaiah 34:14, Lilith (לִּילִית, Standard Hebrew Lilit) is a kind of night-demon or animal, translated as onokentauros; in the Septuagint, as lamia; "witch" by Hieronymus of Cardia; and as screech owl in the King James Version of the Bible. In the Talmud and Midrash, Lilith appears as a night demon. She is often identified as the first wife of Adam, a legend that arose in the Middle Ages.

It appears that isaiah is the only reference to lilith in the hebrew bible.

A Hebrew tradition exists in which an amulet is inscribed with the names of three angels and placed around the neck of newborn boys in order to protect them from the lilin until their circumcision. This practice lends weight to the argument that Lilith had existed in earlier Hebrew mythology and is not the creation of later medieval authors
dadpad

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 06:21 am
@dadpad,

The passage in Genesis 1:27 " "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them" (before describing a mate being made of Adam's rib and being called Eve in Genesis 2:22) is sometimes believed to be an indication that Adam had a wife before Eve.

A medieval reference to Lilith as the first wife of Adam is the anonymous The Alphabet of Ben-Sira, written sometime between the 8th and 11th centuries. Lilith is described as refusing to assume a subservient role to Adam during sexual intercourse and so deserting him ("She said, 'I will not lie below,' and he said, 'I will not lie beneath you, but only on top. For you are fit only to be in the bottom position, while I am to be the superior one.'"). Lilith promptly uttered the name of God, took to the air, and left the Garden, settling on the Red Sea coast.