Demographics: Women and Childbirth

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 08:26 pm
Wow - 1 in 5 women in their early 40s as currently childless. I wouldn't have guessed that number to be so high.

As women have had access to BC pills, equal pay (as if!), abortion they have entered the job force in record numbers. We all know that. We also know that triplet births have increased with conception enhancement techniques. But, there's a really cool graph showing correlations here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19031210/

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:08 am
@littlek,
Interesting. I would like to know if any one has studied the correlation amongst birth rate, educational attainment of the mother, career level and income of the mother.
littlek

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 10:18 am
@Phoenix32890,
I bet some one has...... maybe I'll go look that up while I have my coffee.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 03:38 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I know such a study (or more than one) was done at least a decade back. I think I read the article in NYTimes magazine while flying to Chicago. As you might suspect, the birth rate for highly educated, well employed women was low. Marriage rate was also low compared to other females with less education and income. Lowest birthrate and least likely to marry were well educated, high income black women. They cited the reason as lack of husband material. Education level made the largest impact on a woman choosing to have children or not. More education equalled less kids.

0 Replies