Women spend 136 days of their lives getting ready for a night out

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:03 pm
Women spend 3,276 hours getting ready - enough time for an astronaut to fly to the moon and back 22 times.

Quote:

The time women spend putting on make up and getting dressed works out at 3,276 hours over their lifetimes while men only devote 1,092 hours to looking their best.

A survey of 1,000 women also showed that 67 per cent thought that the time spent getting ready was actually a chore.

Only a third of women said they enjoyed preening themselves.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I don't really resent spending those four minutes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Seeing I have only been out about 136 times at night - I must spend all day getting ready.
mismi

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 02:52 pm
@Linkat,
I'm pretty sure I am below average as far as time is concerned. I am not a big preener. I forget to look in the mirror most days. I get up get dressed put the makeup on. Check it at lunch...freshen up if I go out - that's about it.

Linkat - you have only lived 1/4 of your life right? Plenty of nights left to get ready Wink
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 02:58 pm
@mismi,
Oh, I'm sure I've been out much more than that especially during those crazy college days - now on the other hand I am an old prude (or at least I let my kids think so).
ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm about 130 days behind. I guess I've got some serious primping ahead of me.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:01 pm
@Linkat,
I try to have a bit of balance. I remember thinking my Mom had no clue what was going on in the real world because they never went out. But I don't want to give them the wrong impression either. Wisdom. Want it. Need it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:05 pm
@mismi,
Maybe, but I'm still hiding those pictures of me at Cabo San Lucus where I am hanging upside down and doing shots.
mismi

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 04:30 pm
@Linkat,
yikes - I don't blame you! Laughing
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 04:35 pm
Since I wear whatever to work and change into scrubs I can hit the alarm, take a shower and be out of the house in 35 minutes. But a night out may take longer since I don't do it often.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 04:50 pm
Well at my age, a night out is a real rarity unless choir practice once a week qualifies--I usually do change into clean sweats for that. Going to work, church, social engagements etc., however, I wear pretty much the same clothes etc. to everything so getting ready is usually pretty short and sweet. Never takes more than 30 minutes from shower to auto ignition though--with a check of email etc in there somewhere. I think I'm well under average on getting ready time.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 05:08 pm
i think i make up for your slacking, ladies. i probably already spent 356 days getting ready for a night out and there's many more to come. then again, i take makeup as a form of self-expressive art. ask littlek.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, that wouldn't be me - 3,276 hours getting ready. Maybe in my younger days but now (I'm an old lady - a grandma, even) I can't be bothered. Usually I put on some mascara and lip balm (Carmex) and that's it... even for a night out.

Two things I've realized are: a) nobody's looking at me, and b) even if they did, I don't care what they think. So I put the mascara on for me because I like the look of it and the Carmex on for chapped lips.

I've had make up sit in my drawer for years, literally, and when I moved last year I didn't recognize most of it and threw it all out. What was I thinking when I bought that turquoise eyeshadow??? And who needs 15 lipsticks. All into the round file.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:48 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Maybe, but I'm still hiding those pictures of me at Cabo San Lucus where I am hanging upside down and doing shots.

It must be the tequila. I got caught dancing with the waiters on the tables down
there (Cabo). No pictures though, only eye witnesses *sigh*
Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:38 am
@CalamityJane,
Cabo (and tequila) will do that to ya.

I was smart enough though to change clothes with my friend before I did it - I was wearing a cute little mini skirt at the time and my friend had on shorts. I decided against that - although one nice gentleman suggested I keep the skirt on and untie my shirt before hand (shirt was tied on the bottom to prevent slippage)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:51 am
@CalamityJane,
Cal wrote-

Quote:
It must be the tequila. I got caught dancing with the waiters on the tables down
there (Cabo). No pictures though, only eye witnesses *sigh*

Eye-witnesses are pretty reliable I've been told.

I once danced with a table on the waiter. Top that Cal.

Let's start a tall-story thread eh?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:57 am
To return to the question at hand. My experience is that women spend half their lives getting ready, 2/3rds of the rest asleep and the remainder on various necessities which are familiar enough to justify my not trying your patience by detailing them.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:15 pm
You see dear readers--why it is more interesting that Cal danced on a table with a waiter than me having danced with a table on a waiter is that looking up my trouser leg is rather pointless whereas looking up Cal's miniskirt is an entirely different kettle-of-fish.

This is most unfair I know but I have learned to accept it or, at least, try not to think about it.

I have seen a fair number of women dancing on tables. All age ranges. A few drinks and nature takes over.
One constant feature I've noticed is that they all all start holding their skirts between thumb and forefinger, delicately like, and trying to raise them up. I assume they are tring to raise them up because that's what it looks like and the skirts don't seem to get raised so far and they always, well-nearly always, fall back so they can try again. The chorus girl in Apocalypse Now who started the riot had no trouble though. And she was probably sober.

It must be to free their legs from the encumbrances a skirt represents.

Tell us Cal--did you take your skirt in your hands and perform that beautiful but corny trick on the occasion you described so minimally.

I wish I could do it.

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 12:48 pm
@spendius,
Oh spendius, I can see why you get so confused with an exciting story like this:
it was Linkat who wore the miniskirt - I, on the other hand, did not mention my
attire, but to not further arouse and confuse you, spendius, I will tell you that
I wore jeans that evening, and it was quite a number of years ago when I was
still young and into the party scene.
spendius

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 01:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
I just knew it. I prophesied to myself that you would say that you were wearing jeans. But surely, if you did it once you broke through the ice, and you must have done it many other times. It can get addictive. You must have at least done it once in a skirt.

It's not shameful.

Were they tight jeans or those loose sloppy ones which bag out at the back in an unsightly slack of pale blue sacking such as to cause erectile dysfunction in all but the most degenerate of onlookers.