The definitive explanation about tags

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:14 am
Ok, a bunch of well meaning people are giving authoritative-sounding advice about tags that simply isn't accurate. So here's the basic run down.

1) You can use a tag to "bookmark" it. Just type in something that describes the topic and tag it. Your tagged topics will show up in your "My Tags" page where you can see them all, or drill down to specific tags.

2) You do NOT need to use "bookmark", "subscribed" or your username to bookmark sites. In fact, this is unhelpful because you are indicating to the community that the topic is about "bookmark" instead of being a bookmark. And since tags are already bookmarks you don't need to call them bookmarks just to make them work.

An analogy is your browser bookmarks. You don't need to name them all "bookmarks" to use them, and that's not very useful to you. Now here the whole community also shares bookmarks a bit, so it's even less useful to others.

Here's what tagging a topic does:

1) It makes it available for you to track in your "My Tags" page, regardless of what tag you use.

2) It recommends the topic to others under the tag you used. So if you tag something "politics" you are voting it as a good topic about politics. That's why tagging it your username or "bookmark" is not helpful categorization for others.

3) The tags serve as the old forums, so if too many people use a tag like "bookmark" too many times it will show up as a popular tag, and that would be like having a forum called "bookmark": completely useless for most people.

Now there are some bugs and imperfections with tags, and how we made the navigation. We need more data to start doing the navigation we had planned but we fully plan to make them easier to browse. For example, right now you can only see the most popular tags in the tag clouds but we'll make ways you can browse deeper. But what doesn't change is that when you tag something it is a descriptive label that the community shares. This is like a big library where everyone is a librarian and has some say. So if some of the librarians are putting the Harry Potter books under "bookmark" it's not helpful but if enough people categorize it well it won't matter. But if enough librarians are using bad categorization, the library will be a mess.

So please tag things with tags that describe the subject of your tags. Or at least don't tell others to start using tags like their username, "bookmark", "subscribe" or other tags that don't describe the subject of the thread.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 5,809 • Replies: 27

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:18 am
@Craven de Kere,
Here are examples of tags used correctly:

The old "Business and Marketing" forum has a lot of topics about "importing from china". Now that they were tagged that, you can find them all here: http://able2know.org/tag/importing_from_china/

The old politics forum had a lot of topics about Obama or Bush, you can find groupings for them here:

http://able2know.org/tag/obama/

And here:

http://able2know.org/tag/bush/

We never had a good place for poker topics, but now with a bit of interest and some tags we have:

http://able2know.org/tag/poker/

ehbeth often wanted a "media" forum, and she and others have now tagged topics to make it:

http://able2know.org/tag/media/
Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:33 am
@Craven de Kere,
Other notes:

- Topics were imported from the old forums with tags by the author in the new site. This way, they could edit them and put the topic wherever they want. So before you tagged anything, all your own topics were in your tag list.

- Tag lists currently only show the most used tags. We will change that so you can see more.

- Tags make more and more sense the more they are used (correctly). As more are added the related tags make more and more sense and more relevant topics show up first.

Ways to jump right in:

- Go to your "My Topics" page and visit your best threads and tag them meaningfully. You can also do this with other people's "My Topics" pages.

- Use the site search to find topics, and tag them. For example, some people were looking for their "lovatts" crossword threads so I searched for them with the site search and tagged some for them to get them a "lovatts" grouping of topics: http://able2know.org/tag/lovatts/
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:57 am
Bookmark :razz:
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 05:12 am
@Craven de Kere,
i tagged my High School Yearbook Photo thread --
http://able2know.org/topic/61959-1
(it didn't have any existing tags).

why are the three tags i added italic?
thanx...
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 05:22 am
@Region Philbis,
There's a high school yearbook photo thread?

Joe(oh, the humanity!!)Nation
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 05:33 am
@Craven de Kere,
This is useful, thanks.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 05:44 am
@Craven de Kere,

Gotcha.

I've incorrectly labelled two topics. If I'd thought about it for a minute before I did it the other day, I'd have done otherwise. Are they stuck with me for eternity now?

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 05:47 am
@Joeblow,
if they're your own topics, you can edit the tags.
i don't see where you can edit tags added to other topics...
Joeblow

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 05:51 am
@Region Philbis,
Great. Er, sorry, how? I looked before posting and just again now when you said that. Please, Region. Help meeeeeeeee.
Joeblow

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:14 am
@Joeblow,
OK, found it. I had thought I might edit, straight from My Tags, by selecting from the tag list, but you must open the topic to find the edit key.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:19 am
@Craven de Kere,
Craven; I tagged this thread with "Using tags, tags"

However the tips hamster in My Tags is telling me "Tags removed".

An explanation would be enlightening.

Edit: Hmm tipping hamster is now gone.

where is my gaffer tape

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:20 am
@Joeblow,
go to My Topics.
go to the topic whose tags you'd like to edit, and click the green Edit Tags link under My Tags:

....... http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/7325/edittagsgo4.jpg

a text box will appear.
to edit it properly, you first have to delete the existing tags.
what i do is hit the Home key on the keyboard, 'paint' from left to right, and delete.
now you can add new tags.
if you add more than one, separate them with commas...
Joeblow

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:27 am
@Region Philbis,
Big girl squish hug in thanks Region. I'm going to try the Home key next time, 'cause dollars to donuts, there will, alas, be a next time.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:30 am
@Joeblow,
Smile

any time...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:39 am
@Craven de Kere,
Craven de Kere wrote:
So please tag things with tags that describe the subject of your tags. Or at least don't tell others to start using tags like their username, "bookmark", "subscribe" or other tags that don't describe the subject of the thread.

I'll stop. Sorry.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 08:06 am
Thank you for this info. And my apologies for any misleading I have done. I have been correcting my posts about tagging and, if there are any conflicts, questions or doubts, this is the definitive topic.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:58 am
@Region Philbis,
Bad bbcode and the parser doesn't degrade gracefully. The tags aren't italic so much as the entire page after a certain post.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:59 am
@Region Philbis,
On the left column on the topics you can edit your tags if you've already tagged the topic.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 11:01 am
@dadpad,
Right now, the "tags removed" message is shown:

- if there is an invalid tag and it's removed
- if you edit and remove any of the tags

And possibly in other situations. It's something we need to make specific messages for to make sense.