Okay. Enough with the darn clusters already.

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:33 pm
I can't count the times I've replied to some post, and, while replying, seven other posters have managed to answer the question. Usually in a much more informative, pertinent way. Within a minute or two.

I guess I'm just really slow when posting.

It also makes me realize how much I used the preview feature to see if somebody else had posted in the meantime, and how many posts I must have deleted because of it. Must be thousands.

Anyways, I hate the way those darn clusters make me look like a complete idiot who's merely repeating what everybody else has already said. I also hate how it makes me realize how slow I am in replying. Am I typing too slowly? Not thinking quick enough? What is wrong with me, goshdarnit? It's annoying.

Darn clusters.

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:35 pm
@old europe,
after posting, click to see if you've been 'clustered'. If you have, you can quickly delete your post. You waste time, but may feel less foolish.
old europe

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:36 pm
@littlek,
Hm.

Okay, littlek, you're trying to be practical. I appreciate that.

But, as a matter of fact, it doesn't make me feel less foolish.

I hate clusters.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:39 pm
@old europe,
The way I've been working around that in an active thread is by right clicking on the reply button to open a new browser window or tab and composing my reply there. Then, before I post it, I refresh the view of the other window to see what's been added after I hit the reply button and then modify my response if needed, or discard it if it's already been said.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:39 pm
@old europe,
You must not be a statistician.
old europe

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:41 pm
@littlek,
Neutral

Are you trying to tell me something, littlek?
littlek

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:45 pm
@old europe,
not really. Clusters are meaningful to statisticians.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:51 pm
@old europe,
I'm with you, oe. If I'm lucky, I just delete it. Otherwise it's just hung there on the thread for eternity to be seen by all! Embarrassed
old europe

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:02 pm
@devriesj,
Exactly.

These clusters will change my online persona completely. I'll be known as old "a minute late" europe.

Embarrassed

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:15 pm
@old europe,
That's okay, Old "A Minute Late" Europe, I find most of your writing informative no matter how many times others have said a variation on the same theme.

If quality takes a minute later getting there, I don't mind waiting for it. Wink

As Noddy would say, be your own cluster and hold your dominion!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:25 pm
The clusters are happening because people aren't resorting their view of the site, so they keep seeing the same topics over and over again and replying to them. As users get used to the site and start changing their views of it to suit their own purposes or whims, you'll see less clustering. Right now the behavior is as if there are only ten to thirty new topics on the site, which obviously nowhere near being the case.
maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:29 pm
what are the clusters we're talking about
margo

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:34 pm
@maporsche,

they're the nut ones, held together with chocolate.

What's wrong with them??
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:34 pm
@maporsche,
I tried to find an illustration, to better explain.

Here's one of those buggers:

http://i33.tinypic.com/33thtok.jpg

And don't tell me they "look pretty", or something...
old europe

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:40 pm
@jespah,
Nah, that's not what I mean.

What I'm talking about is the phenomena that, when I try to answer some question is something, I click on the "reply" button, type up my pretty answer, and by the time I've posted, 5 other people have already answered the question.

All within 1 or 3 minutes. And all of them had much more intelligent answers than what I've typed up.

In the old version, that could be avoided by hitting "preview", and you'd see if somebody else had posted to the thread. In the new version, you have use some smart workaround (like the one Butrflynet came up with).

Anyways, the weird thing is this clustering of replies. Nobody replies to a thread for half an hour, and then, just when I'm deciding to reply, nine other people squeeze in an intelligent answer.

It's the ghosts in the machine, I say.
Francis

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:43 pm
@old europe,
Well, people know stuff or have some ideas about it. They are "clue..sters"

They post together too..
old europe

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:44 pm
@Francis,
Okay, Francis. That was a pretty smart answer.

<scratches head>

I'll vote your post up.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:47 pm
@old europe,
Part of it is the speed of the site. It's quite a remarkable change.

I've noticed it not only within threads but on the site. By the time I post something, there are many more new posts on a variety of threads than there were on the old version of A2k.

S'brilliant.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:48 pm
@old europe,
oe wrote:
Quote:
It's the ghosts in the machine, I say.

I suppose that's the very same system as in a closing machine without closing mean. Wink
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:57 pm
ehBeth - right! The speed is really amazing. Good point, too. I guess in the old version, when lots of people would post at the same time, the system would just stall... maybeperhaps? Occasionally, I had that impression... typed up something, tried to post it, and A2K told me something about... dunno, some error. When I went back, lots of people had replied to something.

Here, you just post - et voilĂ ! Marvellous.

---

Walter - what's a "a closing machine"?