Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:05 pm
Daughter came to dinner tonight. Afterwards we were out on the deck and she said, "Mom, get this... the other day he said the L word."

Being as she said it kinda low and secret like, I was a little confused so I asked "Lesbian???"

She broke out laughing and then stopped and looked at me and said "NO! Why would he say THAT?"

I said, "I dunno. You said it like you were tattling that he had said a bad word but I couldn't think of any bad L words.

Then I realized she meant THE L word. I'd forgotten what a big deal that was at her age. I instantly pictured the whole nervous boy, afraid it wouldn't be reciprocated, girl wondering when he was finally going to say it and boy wondering why he had to go first ...

Do you remember the first time the opposite sex said "I kove you" to you?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:08 pm
@squinney,
Yes. He meant it too.

That didn't work out, but that experience was good: I didn't start off cynical, and even now am only so sporadically, despite data backing cynical.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:11 pm
@squinney,
Quote:
Do you remember the first time the opposite sex said "I kove you" to you?

I don't think anyone ever said "kove" to me.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:13 pm
@squinney,
Oh and it probably slipped out during particularly passionate and unrestrained union.

If thats the case it doesnt count.
squinney

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:15 pm
... "I Love you" to you?
LOVE
Not kove.

How the heck did that happen? (hoping the new site doesn't allow others to see that my fingers are sticky from Chex mix )
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:32 pm
@squinney,
I just wanted to hear you say it to me.

mumpad aint gonna be happy y'know.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:36 pm
@squinney,
The L word? A guy said a four letter word to your daughter? The nerve!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:57 pm
My first love wrote me poems in chem class (watch my eyes glaze in happiness, trying to copy equations.) He was no wimp either (don't get me started.. a rockclimber and mountain climber even then, explorer/eco person, writer, later. He married the right woman, but wasn't kidding with me at the time.) I was lucky in all that, to some extent.

We split because I was catholic, though quite lapsed even then. I thought I'd just die for quite a while. Decision his, though he showed up a year plus later. Too late, I'd no patience for it (more complicated than stated.)

Still, basically a good start, genuine feeling, kind of a primer for possibility.

So, from other experiences I know the false or fantasy flume of the word 'love'.

What can I say, Squinney. Hope there is some real feeling in those first words.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:09 pm
You're a smooth one, Dadpad. Mums gonna know you tricked me into it.

Thomas - Yeah, a four letter word! At least it wasn't what I thought initially. I couldn't figure out what the possible context would be for the other L word.

Osso - (sigh) Things work as they should I suppose, but that first time hearing it... Made me long for a minute for that innocence. That giddiness. That roll of the tummy.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:39 pm
@squinney,
I remember going to see the fireworks with a group that included T before we started dating.

I told her, "you look really pretty."

She replied, "shut up! You're so mean!"
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:51 pm
@squinney,
The first person to say the L word to me I ended up marrying. I'm such a sucker for romance.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:56 pm
@martybarker,
jesus christ, ive heard it to many times...

i cant remember the first.
martybarker

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:59 pm
@OGIONIK,
I use it a lot when I'm drinking with friends. Drunk
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:00 pm
@martybarker,
LOL..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:02 pm
I don't think I've ever used it entirely falsely.
martybarker

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:04 pm
@ossobuco,
I think I use it on a daily basis. I ask my kids " Have I told you that I love you yet today?"
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 08:16 am
The first person to say it to me was my mother.... I don't think she meant it
I think the first girl to say it to me was Pam Thompson... we were around 13 I think...
eoe

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 10:13 am
@squinney,
I remember who said it but not when.
He meant it too. So did I. We were crazy about each other. But alas...it wasn't meant to be. Thank goodness.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 10:17 am
He was a neighbor and we had grown up together--our moms were best friends. So when we were about 15 or so and he decided it was time to lose his virginity, he thought I might be at least accommodating. I advised people need to be in love, not just like. So he said he loved me. That didn't last long when I said no. But he was the first. Smile
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:32 pm
Sure do remember.

I was laying in bed with my girlfriend at the time in college.

I ignored it, and pretended like I was sleeping.
0 Replies