Some more paint questions!

Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:59 pm
My living room has three archways leading out/in to it: the entry hall, a linen closet area and the dining room.

I am painting the entry and linen area a pea green color, the living room will be a chocolate brown and the dining room will be either both colors (over the chair rail for one, under for the other) or one of the colors with an altogether different color. The trim in all rooms is ivory.

Should the archways be the same color as the living room or the same color as the little rooms off the living room?

Also, each of the rooms has panel doors. Should the panel be the wall color or the trim color?

I'll try to get some photos up soon.

Any help appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 7,124 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed

mismi

Fri 15 Aug, 2008 04:06 pm
@boomerang,
I like my doors the color of the trim normally. The front and back are a stained wood and have painted trim though. I have seen it done several ways. I like the idea of coming into the entry and seeing the brown from the living room on the archway next to the green. But if you do it - paint both the archways the same.

There is no degree or education behind my thought...it is just my opinion. Pretty colors Boomer...love green and chocolate. Very comfy and sophisticated.
0 Replies

boomerang

Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:07 pm
Here'[img][/img]s some photos. I took some before I painted at all but didn't think you could tell much about the size of the spaces I was talking about so I cut in some color to show it a bit better (or not).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/pantry1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/pantry2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/hall1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/hall2.jpg

DrewDad

Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:09 pm
@boomerang,
I'd consider transitioning the color where the floor transitions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:10 pm
@boomerang,
Since I think all of the archways should be painted the same colour, I'd go with the chocolate brown of the living room.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:11 pm
@boomerang,
The architecture of your house is so great, boomer.
I would paint the archways the color of the smaller rooms, as the living room is surely bigger and the chocolate brown is quite prominent, it would swallow up the smaller rooms, and archways.
0 Replies

boomerang

Fri 15 Aug, 2008 06:49 pm
The living room is big but I'll bet I could paint the whole thing with a gallon and a half of paint, maybe less -- there isn't much wall. Besides the three arches there are three exit doors, a door/staircase thingy, two huge arched windows and a fireplace (that I have no idea what to do with).

There is so little wall that hanging pictures or arranging furniture is a big problem.

My idea for the little rooms is to have them be little jewel boxes, something where the color really grabs you. Painting the archs dark might act as "frames" and that could be nice but the walls themselves might make better frames by having the arch match the jewel box color.

I love the architecture of this house, CJane, but it is such a problem when deciding what to put where.

Here's what I meant by the "panel" doors -- the area I've outlined, (the arrow points to another door just like the one pictured). Should the inset panel be wall color or trim color?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/pantry3.jpg
Swimpy

Fri 15 Aug, 2008 07:56 pm
@boomerang,
When we painted our rooms the painter said to paint the archways the same color as the room where you can see the transition the most. Does that make sense to you?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:19 pm
@boomerang,
I would accentuate with trim colors. Boomer, do you know Tricia Guild of
Designers Guild? She has the most beautiful color combinations. I have several
books of her.
Just to give you an idea, here is a brownish wall color with white trims
http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2007/05/17/pink_5_h460.jpg

0 Replies

Eva

Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:38 pm
@boomerang,
I'd paint the entire door(s) in the trim color.

Re: archways...here's another idea. I had archways like that in our first house. We painted them as if they were trim. Looked great.

0 Replies

alex240101

Sat 16 Aug, 2008 06:59 am
@boomerang,
Hello boomerang.
I've always been partial to flat white ceilings. Besides making rooms look airier, it compliments the other rooms more dominant colors. Your archway ceilings would look beautiful, painted that way.
....and if it were me...I'd showcase the characteristics of the wood grain in those paneled doors.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:44 am
I love that really formal room surrounding that eye popping bowl of cherries! I'm going to have to look for those books, CJane, I like the unexpected use of color.

I really would like to strip down all the wood in the house but that would be a commitment of time and money that is damn near impossible. We are quikly learing just how expensive in both time and money restoration is so we're learning to compromise. We're planning to compensate with flooring. Mr. B has been bringing some really interesting, unusual, stuff home for approval.

Using Swimpy's rule of archway painting I would go with brown, which seems to be what most of you were thinking. If it had any molding around it I would go with the trim color but I think it might end up looking too "stripey" and a bit out of place considering all the trim elsewhere in the room. This house is so tricky!

The doors are easier -- I'll just go with the trim color!
0 Replies

deepat

Tue 16 Aug, 2011 02:52 am
@boomerang,
hey did you finish painting? can you post pictures of them as it will be helpful to me
boomerang

Tue 16 Aug, 2011 07:02 am
@deepat,
I finished painting years ago! In fact, much of it has been repainted again since then. I need to do some touch ups since the demolished and rebuilt the bathroom and they scratched my paint up a bit.

What are you painting and what are our concerns?
0 Replies

EthanJoshua

Mon 27 Feb, 2012 04:42 am
Buying a new home and the colors are just blah. It has white siding with Black shutters and a black door. Any suggestions to help bring it to life and out of the plantation era?
0 Replies