Excessive Public Affection to Small Children

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:51 pm
I was just on an unrelated thread about gays. I made the remark that I find excessive public affection obnoxious, whether the couples are gay or straight.

After I had said my piece, I realized that there something vaguely related that really annoys me. I am referring to when a person (usually a mother or grandmother), in a congested, public place, (like a doctors office) insists on giving a young child noisy smooches, over and over again.

That happened to me last week, (and has happened many times over the years) and I wanted to run away, quickly. That grandma would not stop. Every few minutes I had to be subjected to the loud baby talk, and the noisy kisses that the woman kept giving the baby.

Now I am not heartless, and I don't mind a person showing affection to a baby, but enough is enough. I think it is a matter of proportion.

Anybody have a similar gripe, or is it just me?

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:55 pm
@Phoenix32890,
i'm right there with ya. babies and animals, too. squash the baby smoochers!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 12:59 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
I am referring to when a person (usually a mother or grandmother), in a congested, public place, (like a doctors office) insists on giving a young child noisy smooches, over and over again.

I think folks prefer this to a screaming or whining kid, though.

Kids love extravagant affection, and it will keep a kid entertained for a good long while.
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:08 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I don't know if I am excessive, but I love to hug and cuddle my girls. I don't think I am overally kissy in public though.
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:10 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat- But are you noisy when you show affection, to the point where people in the general area can't escape from your interaction with your girls?
nimh

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:29 pm
Much prefer loud smooches, games etc, over crying, screaming or upset children, and DD's point that in situations like a train ride etc the former may well be the way to prevent the latter, I'm all for it.

Then again, aside from crying/screaming episodes I like children toying around. Like in the cafe, I'm sitting there with my laptop which kids somehow find fascinating, or maybe it's just because when they come up and stare, I smile back (not being able to say much). I mean, as long as they're not picking up things and throwing them (yikes, once at a pancake house with my hyperactive nephews..), I dont have any problem with children running around in a pub or train or something. They usually just make me smile.

Thats me though -- I can see how others would find that kind of thing bothersome. But a grandma toodle-dooing at a baby?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:55 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Yeah people tell me to shut the h*ll up all the time.

No - I just love hugging and cuddling and especially my littliest is the perfect size.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:05 pm
@DrewDad,
That was my thought too.

There is entertainment value there (for the kid) that is useful.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:11 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix wrote:
Anybody have a similar gripe, or is it just me?

I'm with you, Phoenix. One similar thing that annoys me is the habit of politicians to routinely kiss other people's babies on their campaign stops. I hope the babys reward them with a good barf from time to time.
Mame

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:12 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Actually, yes, that would get on my nerves if it was that noticeable and loud. Anything, regardless of whether it's good or bad, would annoy me if it was interrupting, instrusive or distracting me.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:14 pm
@Linkat,
I am not a big PDA'er. Depends on the situation though. I do love to hug and kiss on my boys...but I have a limited window of opportunity before they tell me to stop...so...I am taking advantage of it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:30 pm
@Thomas,
I wouldn't want some stranger kissing my baby - I'd hit 'em.
mismi

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:33 pm
@Linkat,
Yep...that is strange - and a bit pretentious
Mame

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 10:20 am
@mismi,
Pretentious? Do you mean presumptuous?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 10:31 am
Slappy is not here but if he were.... I'm sure he'd say that excessive affection with small children is something best kept private... like in the van or something....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 10:34 am
And why is this thread thumbed down so heavily?
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 10:39 am
I worry more about people hitting, abusing, shrieking at, ignoring or denigrating their kids in public.

Too much kissing and such?

I should have mental space to be irked by this.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:26 am
@littlek,
Quote:
And why is this thread thumbed down so heavily?

There is probably a mix of reasons. Some personal, which were discussed on another thread. Another is that I believe that I have espoused an unpopular opinion. One hears so much about parents neglecting and abusing kids, that just the thought of someone disliking shows of affection to kids might very well go against the grain of some folks. And they are entitled to feel that way.

Thinking about it more, I began to realize that there is a greater issue at work with me. It has to do with privacy and personal space. In addition to not liking overly affectionate displays, loud talk (like in an adjacent table in a restaurant) that interrupts my concentration, bugs the hell out of me.
Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:40 pm
Affection with children should be kept private. Like in a van, or something.

I hate hearing any kind of baby talk. This friend of mine has a little chihuahua, and her neighbor will come up and talk in this annoying voice to the dog. It seriously annoys me to the point of wanting to walk away and wonder why it's not socially ok to punch a woman in her neck for doing such a thing.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:49 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I don 't have an opinion on this matter.

However, it seems likely to me
that the kissers do not share your point of vu on this.

Such large numbers of citizens have different opinions on such wide varieties
of topics that this, among many other things, will just be something upon which
u will have to differ. It coud be possible that (without your knowledge)
some of the kissers may be offended by my conduct or yours,
without our suspecting that anything is amiss.

David
0 Replies