Follow your friend's tags

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:57 pm
Ok, soon we'll have a feature where you can add friends, and the browsing of topics will become more social but here's a way you can get started.

1) Start tagging the topics you find interesting. Doing so will make them more prominent in several ways (one is that tagging something votes it up) so you should ideally tag topics you think others will find useful.

2) Everyone's profile page has a "My Tags" page that is public. Anyone can see the topics I tagged and you can follow any active tagger this way.

Using this, you can follow members who have similar interest to you and find what they found interesting. My own account profile isn't a great example, I"m tagging just about anything I see to test the new site but people who use it like I describe above are going to be great ways to find good threads.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 4,850 • Replies: 21
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:10 pm
@Craven de Kere,
That makes more sense than tagging my own .

How do I tag another thread?
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:12 pm
@CalamityJane,
Right now it's in the left column under the tabs.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:25 pm
Okay, I am getting the hang of it - my initial disappointment is at a turning
point.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 07:46 pm
@Craven de Kere,
I have a comment and two questions:

Comment: Currently, the major benefit I see in tagging is that I can now combine tags. So if I asked a question about a particular statute in the old "Legal" forum, I can now tag it both "legal" and "reference", whereas I couldn't cross-post them on the old site. So that's good. And it leads me to --

Question 1: Sites that allow cross-posting usually have a problem with abuse -- pervasive cross posting is basically a form of spam. Is there an analogous problem with tagging? And if there is, what is the limit to the number of tags you can add to a thread.

Question 2: Although I like the ability to simulate cross-posting by combining tags, what I'm lacking at the moment is an intuition for new tags that are useful, but didn't exist as forums on the old site. Perhaps you can give us a few examples so we get the hang of new tags we may add?
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:00 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Sites that allow cross-posting usually have a problem with abuse -- pervasive cross posting is basically a form of spam. Is there an analogous problem with tagging? And if there is, what is the limit to the number of tags you can add to a thread.

That's where using aggregate info can help. And the tags rely on the wisdom of the crowd. So even if someone abuses it to give it irrelevant tags the more the people use it the less visible that abuse is.

So for a specific example, let's say someone tags this topic "ass". Only the top 5 or so tags are displayed for each topic, so all it takes is for 5 better tags to push that off the list. Eventually, we'll do things like make a minimum for it to even appear there (again, we need scale for something like this).

On the tag pages, the topics most tagged something appear more prominently. So again, the more it's used right the less prominent the abuse will be.
Quote:

Although I like the ability to simulate cross-posting by combining tags, what I'm lacking at the moment is an intuition for new tags that are useful, but didn't exist as forums on the old site. Perhaps you can give us a few examples so we get the hang of new tags we may add?

Sure. A great example would be our science and mathematics forum. Right now everything imported from there is tagged "science and mathematics" but often it would more appropriately be "science" or "mathematics" or even "biology" and other examples of sub-topics to these more inclusive tags.

So for example, Sozobe's huge obama thread was imported tagged "politics" and I tagged it "obama" and if enough others do it will be at the top of the "obama" tag on this site as the most relevant obama topic.

So to use your own threads as examples, you have a thread about Iselin, New Jersey that is currently only tagged "north america". You can tag it more specifically to "new jersey" and better focus its categorization. There are a lot of ways you can give it more specific labels, just let me know if you want more examples of what I'd tag your topics.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:02 pm
http://able2know.org/tag/iraq/

That's an example of iraq topics I tagged from the old politics forum. Now "iraq" is one of the top related tags to "politics" and it's like the functional equivalent of having created an Iraq subforum to the politics one.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:05 pm
@Craven de Kere,
I already see what appears to be intentional miscategorization happening. So as more users start tagging it will fix it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:07 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Look at this nice collection of south ossetia topics someone else put together:

http://able2know.org/tag/south_ossetia/
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:08 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Thanks, Craven! Sub-categories make a lot of sense for tagging.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:03 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Hey, I'm having a problem with tagging, maybe this is an okay place to ask about it...

I'm noticing that when I want to make a tag more specific--like a topic is tagged "pets and garden" and I want to add "dogs" to narrow it down-- I click "edit tags", & I type in the edit I'd like to make, but the message I get is something like "tags removed" or "tags deleted" (can't remember the message for sure). I wanted to add "humor" as a tag to a thread of mine that was tagged only as a relationships thread, and every time I try to add the "humor" tag, it just says that it removed the existing tag. Confused Am I doing sumpin' wrong (likely)?
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:05 pm
@cyphercat,
We have some issues with non-intuitive messages when you tag. Nick's or I will change it within a few days.
cyphercat

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:16 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Oh, oookay...so by "non-intuitive message" you mean it telling me that it deleted my tags when it really added them? Boy, that IS non-intuitive! Laughing
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:34 pm
@Craven de Kere,
fb's fantasy olympics thread offers these tags: olympics, fantasy, olympics, olympics, teams

0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:34 pm
@cyphercat,
Something like that. I'm not sure what happened in your case but it says the same thing for anything other than your first tags. We knew about that one pre launch but it slipped through.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:24 pm
@Craven de Kere,
How do I un-tag a thread? By accident I tagged a thread I rather don't
have in my tags.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:31 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Quote:
(one is that tagging something votes it up)

Didn't know that. I should only tag stuff that I like?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:07 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
what is the limit to the number of tags you can add to a thread.

Ten. (I tried Very Happy )

Actually, at first it was much less, something like five words or xx characters (meaning that sometimes it was less than five), and if you go over the limit it seemed to add a selection of the tags you typed in randomly. But that's all fixed now -- thanks Team A2K!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
How do I un-tag a thread? By accident I tagged a thread I rather don't have in my tags.

This option was messed up too at first, but now it seems to work fine: just click "Edit tags", and the tags you had added before will be there. You can then delete some, and add some, as you see fit, click "tag topic" again and there you go.

What I dont know is ... like, can you browse tags and "my tags" separately? So far I thought that if you clicked the tag "south-ossetia", you got all the threads anyone tagged south-ossetia, with the threads that most people gave that tag to on top. Is there a way to just see the threads you yourself have tagged south-ossetia?

(Not that I'd want to, but replace "south-ossetia" by "favourite" or "video to watch", and it would becomes useful.)
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 02:40 pm
@nimh,
Thank you, nimh, I'll try that!
0 Replies