What to cook or bake with coconut oil?

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:30 am
I have a jar of coconut oil that smells divine and I have a party this Saturday. I never cooked or baked anything with coconut oil, so I'm wondering if there are any easy things to do with it. Pastries of some sort?

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:02 am
@dagmaraka,
Fine. I'll post what I find online myself then Evil or Very Mad
...but if you use it and have your favorites (for something quick and easy), let me know. This here sure is quick and easy, not sure if it's exactly the party material i'm looking for...

QUICK AND TASTY COCONUT SPUDS (POTATOES)

Ingredients:

* 1 LARGE BAKING POTATO PER PERSON (preferably organic)
* 1 CLOVE GARLIC PER PERSON (preferably organic)
* 1 DESSERT SPOON OF ORGANIC VIRGIN COCONUT OIL PER PERSON

Preheat oven to 200oC.Melt the coconut oil in the oven in a large baking dish. Peel and thickly slice the potatoes and the garlic and place them in the dish, making sure they are well covered with the melted coconut oil.Sprinkle to taste with organic sea salt.Check them after 20 minutes and turn.Cook for a further 20 minutes, or until crunchy (and very yummy!)
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:21 am
@dagmaraka,
Melt a spoonful of extra virgin coconut oil in a frying pan and add asparagus tips. Dust the asparagus with garlic. Add some lemon or lime, pepper and sea salt. Cook on high heat and stir so the spices cook and the asparagus browns. Once browned, it's ready to serve! For softer asparagus, continue to cook on low heat after browning.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:50 am
@dagmaraka,
It would be good in a homemade mayonniase recipe and would be really good used as a dressing for a fruit salad.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:54 am
@dagmaraka,
This sounds good too. It looks as if it is a curry flavoring.

MARRAKECH CHICKEN AND LENTILS
Ingredients:

1tbsp. 100% Pure Virgin Coconut oil
4 skinless chicken breasts chopped into pieces
6oz wholemeal flour
8oz brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
12 whole dried apricots (3 oz.), quartered
5oz golden raisins
2oz fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, chopped
1/2 tsp. Salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp. EACH ground allspice, cinnamon, cumin and red pepper (cayenne)
120ml water with 1 teaspoon of vegetable Bouillon powder dissolved into it.
Heat oven to 350°F. Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan Coat the chicken pieces with flour, shaking off excess. Add to frying pan and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove and place on a plate. Add lentils, spring onions, apricots, raisins, parsley, ginger, salt and spices to frying pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to an oven proof dish. Put the chicken on top. Add water, cover and place in oven. Bake 30 minutes, uncover and bake 20 minutes longer or until chicken and lentils are tender. Serves 4
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:54 am
@Butrflynet,
mayonnaise for a fruit salad? really? is it sweet?

we usually (that means littlek) mix mascarponne cheese and honey, but this sounds intriguing.
alex240101

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:02 pm
@dagmaraka,
A tempura style shrimp, with a few drops of that coconut oil in the egg wash is nice and tasty. Serve with a sweet plum dipping sauce.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here's a candy recipe:

COCONUT CANDY

1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 desiccated coconut
10 drops coconut oil

In a small pan, heat the corn syrup to quite hot , but not boiling. Pour this into a bowl containing the coconut and coconut oil and thoroughly mix the two with a spoon. Cover with wax paper, set aside for 1 hour so the coconut will become well saturated with the corn syrup. Wet hands to roll into balls.
This is excellent as a bonbon filling or use in the Almond Joy mold or to dip into chocolate.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:06 pm
@dagmaraka,
When I was a kid and got to help BBB (mom) cook, my favorite thing to make was a carrot salad with grated carrots, golden raisins, canned pineapple, apple wedges, shredded coconut and fruit cocktail. We made a dressing using mayonaisse, pineapple juice, coconut milk and poppy seeds that was sweetened with honey to taste.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
wow, the carrot salad sounds awesome... i'm still unsure about the mayonnaise (did you make it from scratch?) but the rest of it sounds delish.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 12:29 pm
@dagmaraka,
We used bottled mayo, but you can make your own too. I found a recipe that seems to be popular on a lot of sites. You could use it as is on a green salad or substitute the pepper with some honey to sweeten it and use it on fruit.

Coconut Mayonnaise

1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 cup Virgin Coconut Oil (melted if solid)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1. Put the eggs, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into a food processor or blender: Then with the processor or blender running on low speed, start adding your oils very slowly. Start out with drops and then work up to about a 1/16-inch stream. It should take about two minutes to add the oil.

2. Continue blending until there is no free standing oil.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:42 pm
@dagmaraka,
I used it to fry shrimps, even had some coconut flakes on top - was pretty good.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 01:58 pm
@CalamityJane,
awesome awesome. both on the mayo and on the shrimps. both doable, both party-suitable. great!
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:39 pm
@dagmaraka,
How did your party turn out, Dag? What did you end up doing with the coconut oil?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:50 pm
Coconut oil was the stuff movie theaters used to pop that very special, irrisistably wonderful smelling, great tasting popcorn that has never been the same since the health nuts forced movie theaters to stop using it. But if I had some, that is exactly what I would do with it. Pop some really great popcorn.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:19 pm
Sorry if someone already posted this.. but..

cookies!!
Use the coconut oil instead of olive oil or canola.. or what ever you would use for the oil.
Especially in chocolate chip cookies.. it is.. to DIE FOR..

( I want some now...)
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:20 pm
@shewolfnm,
oops.

Ijust noticed the date on your post.. hehehe..your party is already over.

Oh well.
have some extra oil?
Make cookies.
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:04 pm
@shewolfnm,
well, i haven't used it in the end.... i know. i suck.... the preparations were slightly chaotic and i was concentrating on potato pancakes and on getting sick.
i do use it for my hair though, it's the best hair treatment ever.
i will do some of these things with it before i go though. i will.
0 Replies

swati123

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 11:15 am
I just brought a jar of MeritVCO extra virgin coconut oil. Its yummy in taste.

try out this recipe.

Coconut Oil Recipes #1 - Mushroom Patacone Pita
This is a pita that has avocado, arugula, fried plantains and portobello mushrooms. You'll love the smooth flavor.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup coconut oil
1 semi-ripe plantain, cut into 2-inch pieces
3 portobello mushroom caps, cut into strips
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
4 cups coarsely chopped arugula
2 warmed pita bread rounds, cut in half

Directions:
1. Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the plantain pieces just until tender but still firm. Remove from heat, and drain on paper towels. Stand the plantain pieces on end, and with a small dish or the bottom of a cup, gently flatten the plantains. Return to oil, and continue cooking until golden brown. Remove from heat, and drain on paper towels.

2. Place the mushrooms in the skillet with remaining coconut oil over medium heat, and cook until tender.

3. Stuff pita bread halves with equal amounts of the plantain, mushrooms, avocado, and arugula to serve.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 12:18 pm
That sounds delicious!
0 Replies