New A2K annoyances

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:22 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
- No search at this time apparently.

Not yet. Craven said they'll work on it, but it will take a yet-to-be determined amount of time.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
- Did my old PMs vanish?

Not forever. They have them stored in their database, and are working on a new PM implementation that will give you access to it. I heard they're expecting that to take a few weeks.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
- Can you no longer quote someone automatically?

No -- apparently not automatically.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:23 am
@Butrflynet,
More:

- There's no way to reply to the entire thread; having to reply to the last person who posted specifically is annoying, especially when you want to introduce new info.
- Can't edit the name of who you are replying to in the reply screen, should be able to pick a 'reply to thread' option'
- Posts can now be edited after the fact; is there a note showing the post was edited at a certain time? This is important.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:25 am
@JPB,
Quote:
yes there is. This is the url for this thread http://able2know.org/topic/120917-1

change the -1 to the page you want and hit enter

Sure; but where's the link for that? I'm not typing that into my address bar every time I want to read the page behind the first one listed. It would be pretty easy to put in a link to do this in the style we used to use.
JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:25 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OK, there is a very subtle color difference on the time stamp if you have read the last post.

JPB wrote:
I don't see any differences

DrewDad wrote:
Like I said, it's very subtle.

You ainna kidding!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
- BBcode editor needs to be expanded as default, many of us use it every single post and it's annoying to have to expand it every time.

I agree. Alternatively, "Enable BBcode Editor" could be a user preference.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
- There's no way to reply to the entire thread; having to reply to the last person who posted specifically is annoying, especially when you want to introduce new info.

"Reply to all" serves this function. It's near the top to the left of the page.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

Hit TOP on the far right which will bring you to the top of the page. Then hit Reply All on the upper left corner.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:31 am
@Cycloptichorn,
JPB wrote:
yes there is. This is the url for this thread http://able2know.org/topic/120917-1

change the -1 to the page you want and hit enter

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Sure; but where's the link for that? I'm not typing that into my address bar every time I want to read the page behind the first one listed. It would be pretty easy to put in a link to do this in the style we used to use.

Just open the thread from the discussions listing and you'll be on page one. If you're already on page three then pick the page number from within the thread at the top right of the first post (which you can get to by hitting TOP).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:36 am
Found the 'reply to all' button, this should be in every post next to 'reply' or even better, at the bottom of the page. After all, that's where you usually are when you want to reply - the bottom.

I know that I can access other pages once I'm in the thread Rolling Eyes the point is to be able to access it from the thread list. Many times I know that I am a page or three behind, it's annoying to have to add an extra step to get where I want to go.

In fact, that's the underlying thread behind most of the 'annoyances' listed by myself and others; things which add extra steps to do the same things we used to do.
JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:40 am
Just saw the shading differences applied to threads titles that have been read, not just the timestamp.

Thanks!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
More:

- In the sig line, Carriage returns are not recognized; my sig should be on two separate lines instead of just one.
- what's the point of ranking individual posts in a thread? They don't seem to move. Is this sort of a group-hide feature?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:47 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Individual votes matter more on "question" threads, where the community votes the best answer.

Or, you can just vote up a comment that you like, for whatever reason (humor, information, whatever).
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:49 am
Quote:
- what's the point of ranking individual posts in a thread? They don't seem to move. Is this sort of a group-hide feature?
i think post-voting builds up/down one's reputation...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:50 am
@Cycloptichorn,
- Echoing others, the color difference between threads which have been read and those which have not is too subtle. Can't really see it on my monitor.
- Is there a meaningful difference between 'questions' and 'discussions?'
- Are 'featured' posts a thing of the past?

old europe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:03 am
Hm, all the old links to threads or posts in the old A2k are broken... I find that a bit challenging, especially in the former politics forum. And without having a search function available, at the moment.

Well. Will see...
JPB

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:13 am
@JPB,
Quote:
Just saw the shading differences applied to threads titles that have been read, not just the timestamp.

Thanks!

Ok, I take it back Smile Titles that change shading once read don't change back to darker when yet another new unread post is added.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:15 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Speaking of color, is it just me or are others also having trouble with the overall contrast on the site between the background color and the default font and text color?

Not sure if it is the background color, the pixel count, the font style or font size, or what, but my eyes are really having to strain to read the text on the new site.

I suspect it is a combination of greyness of the background color and the font color. The font color seems to be more grey than black. If I highlight the text to give it a different background color and font color, there is a lot more contrast and it's much easier to read.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:29 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I believe "question" threads are ones that should have a definite answer, whereas "discussion" threads are more rambling.

I believe voting takes the place of "featured" threads.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:30 am
@Butrflynet,
The text on my page appears black on a white background.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:44 am
@joefromchicago,
Joe wrote:
1. Add the name of the last person to post to each thread;
2. "Reply to All" button needs to be at the bottom of the page;
3. Add title (newbie, veteran, guru, etc.) and number of posts for each member next to their avatars;
4. Tiny avatars -- I like the Gravatar thingie (it manages larger pictures much better than the old system), but the avatars themselves are far too small (probably about a third of what they were before);
5. "My Posts" view only shows the posts, not the threads in which they were posted (Thomas mentioned this, and I actually agree with him for once);
6. Really, really need a "quote" function;
7. Was it some sort of malicious prank to put the "reply" button on the left and the "preview" button on the right, when the "reply" button used to be on the right in the old format and the "preview" button used to be on the left?
8. I liked having a window showing the most recent posts while in "draft reply" mode. Any way of getting that back?

I hate to agree with Joe ... but I do. On all counts.
Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:49 am
@sozobe,
What the hell happened to this site?
0 Replies