How to use the new able2know

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 03:22 pm
Oh, good. I just found the #3 thread on this new site, and go to post that I found it and see Soz's links.

I'd found her links before but #3 had opened to ERROR. Now it works, yayyyy.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 03:39 pm
Not sure if this will help or confuse people more, but this is a video that explains the voting algorithim being tested by Google for their new search engine. It isn't exactly like the one on A2K and A2K doesn't have as many features or as much depth to it yet, but the visual overview might help people better understand the general concept of the voting system.

Click here.
okie

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 03:48 pm
@old europe,
Re: okie (Post 3358099)
old europe wrote:
I think it really changes to -1, but simultaneously, it gets hidden from your view. Other can still see the post.

Unless many posters vote the post down. It seems that eventually, it will get hidden for all posters as standard (even though you can set when it will disappear for you, based on the ratings by others, based on the threshold you set in your preferences).

(Not that I speak with any authority... just based on observation...)

First of all, I wanted to see if quote box would work. Seems like it does, but with more work now?

Anyway, I read the first link provided by soz, which seems to talk about minimizing top down management of posts, etc, and subjecting everything to voting, uh, I am very skeptical, but curious to see how this plays out. The explanation sounded pretty touchy feely and politically correct, something like opinions now are done via consensus or something called "community" or something akin to that? An opinion is now only valid if it meets public approval of the people that happen to be around at the time? I express my opinions as an individual, not as a member of some "community." Anyway, pardon my criticism based upon a preliminary look at this, I will give it some more time, but I may need to look at another forum, if this one remains anything like this clunky version. Change is good if it is an improvement, but I'm not convinced this is.

Another beef is one I saw Thomas express, the lists of threads are shown per our latest posts, not by the latest posts by all posters on each thread. I don't really care about seeing my posts, as I already know what they are in general, I want to see the latest posts of all posters. We could already search our latest posts on the previous version if we wanted to do that, and we could receive a message or email I think, if a reply was received. My apologies if I don't know how to do some of this stuff as preferred yet, and perhaps I can get there, but it seems to take extra work.

Pardon my criticisms, I will keep checking this out over the next few days, and if I begin liking it, I will report that as well.

tenderfoot

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:19 pm
@Craven de Kere,
seem's good so far.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:22 pm
@okie,
okie....I hear you and somewhat agree......I really liked the layout of the old site....this new site, not so much. (reminds me of Yahoo Answers Sad )

I will keep trying though.....
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:23 pm
Erm...am I being thick, or has the means to bookmark a thread without posting some nonsense on it not online yet?

I cannot see how to "watch" a thread yet, except by posting on it.
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:23 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
Another beef is one I saw Thomas express, the lists of threads are shown per our latest posts, not by the latest posts by all posters on each thread. I don't really care about seeing my posts, as I already know what they are in general, I want to see the latest posts of all posters.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I think that you can get the view you want. On the main A2K page, choose "topic age: all time" and "sort by: new posts."
maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:24 pm
and I'm pretty upset that I can no longer search for threads.....

I used to love finding crap that people had said and using it against them when they change their positions or become hypocritical......

Sad

Is it April 1st?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:25 pm
@Borat Sister,
I'm not sure if this is the intended usage, but tagging a thread -- at all -- seems to make it easier to find.

Tag a thread (with whatever you want, including just "cool" or "bunny" or whatever -- though I'd imagine Craven would prefer more content-specific tags) and then go to your profile. Click on "my tags," and you'll find a list of the threads that you've tagged. You can sort them by date tagged, new posts, etc.
teenyboone

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:26 pm
@Craven de Kere,
I managed to log in, but not receiving new posts notification.
Sharon
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:28 pm
@Borat Sister,
You can tag it. Look to the left where it says My Tags in a box. Just type in a label for the page, something as general as Bookmark or as descriptive as you like.

It's like putting a Post-It Note on the page with your own label written on it except only you see what you've written on it.

Then, when you come back just click on the My Tags link at the top of the page and you'll find all the topics that you've applied tags to.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:31 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you Soz!!!

And Butterfly!
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:35 pm
@Craven de Kere,
I am not confused about able2know.org but confronted with so many changes
alex240101

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:49 pm
@Ramafuchs,
This is a blast. Third time on today, and it is getting easier. Time. Just takes time.
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:00 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
A2K doesn't have as many features or as much depth to it yet

How much depth do you want kid?
whiteviolet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:01 pm
@alex240101,
I didn't know any changes were coming, can't understand how to post, can't find any games I used to play, the site is like a huge encyclopedia without an index. I agree with Spendi and Merry Andrew, it's absolutely ridiculous! I shall miss it very much. Goodbye.
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:02 pm
@spendius,
It is us who provide the depth. A2K is the stage.

It's a challenge.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:06 pm
@whiteviolet,
Oh no wv. Don't do that.

I always found that ladies who were always wanting to go to another pub were ultimately boring. It's a test of your dedication.

Go to other sites. See where it gets you.
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:18 pm
@okie,
Quote:
An opinion is now only valid if it meets public approval of the people that happen to be around at the time?

Do you mean that if I wrote that the world revolves around a woman's approval and only women who wanted to keep it a secret were around at the time they could invalidate the statement and render it null and void?
whiteviolet

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:29 pm
@spendius,
I have no interest in spending hours learning how to use such a site, especially with the brain glitches I have through my serious illness. I disagree with the voting idea - rule of majority. There was free speech before. I have already gone to another site which is WELL designed.
0 Replies