How to use the new able2know

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 03:44 am
@Bohne,
We'll post a way to get your old avatar when we have some time.
roger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 03:47 am
Uh oh! There are "Questions" and "Discussions". I want to see both at once, in order by last post. Can I do that?
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 03:54 am
@roger,
Yup, the home page is both. Select "all time" and then sort by "new posts".
Letty

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 03:58 am
@Craven de Kere,
Craven, what button do I push to get updates?
roger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:02 am
@Craven de Kere,
I think I got it. Looks good. It used to be kind of annoying that all I could get without using "At a Glance" was posts since last log in.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:03 am
@Letty,
There are no email updates yet.
jespah

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:06 am
@Craven de Kere,
One thing you might want to do is, see where it says tags on the left? You can type in whatever you like, separated by commas, e. g. helpful,informative

Whatever you like. That will then show up and will help other users find this topic. This topic is also voted on (it happens to be positively) which is pushing it up to the top of the list of what you see, making it easier to find.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:13 am
@jespah,
In addition to tagging, voting on your favorite/least favorite topics will help get the best stuff out there.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:15 am
@Craven de Kere,
If you had a short password you will have to reset it to get into the site.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:18 am
@hingehead,
Thanks for this. I think you may have figured out a persistent problem a user was reporting.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:20 am
@jespah,
Quote:
Hutber's law states that "improvement means deterioration". It is founded on the cynical observation that a stated improvement actually hides a deterioration.

The term has seen wide application in business, engineering and risk analysis. It was first articulated by Patrick Hutber, an economist and journalist working for The Sunday Telegraph in London.

jespah- last night I was scrolling down from Science and Mathematics to Trivia when I noticed a name in the right hand column in Film. So I stopped and clicked on and joined that thread. I did that often with certain posters in the old days. Discussions ensued in a number of cases.

Is that no longer possible? Is there to be no Forum page where one can see a record of a particular thread's posts and views and the name of the last poster?

0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:29 am
@Craven de Kere,
Where can I find 'emoticons'? Also the new Avatar site isn't doing justice to my old Avatar, can that be changed?
Miller

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:31 am
What happened to the Smilies?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:31 am
@Dutchy,
When you post, there is a link to "enable bbcode editor" which, in turn, has an emoticons button.

Very Happy

As for the avatars that's a third party site and you'll have to ask them. My guess is no though.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:35 am
@Dutchy,
it looks like you have to re-stretch it...
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:36 am
@Region Philbis,
Or upload it at 40 by 40 pixels. That might make it look good on the topic pages but blurry on the profile page. Otherwise it seems it will look better on the profile page and crop on the topic page.
spendius

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:37 am
@Dutchy,
Hey Dutch--you're not a guru anymore.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:40 am
@Craven de Kere,
yeah, mine came out blurry on my profile page.
doesn't seem to be a way to fix that without cropping/chopping it...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:44 am
@Dutchy,
At least you still have one Dutchy - I feel like I'm wearing a burkha. While the site was down there was a message about gravatar.com - is that the answer to getting an avatar - I can't see anywhere to set it in my profile, and I don't understand why some users still have theirs.
Dutchy

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:48 am
@spendius,
You're right spendi, I'm now a Cosmic Eagle, or have you forgotten? Laughing