Where does sin come from?

RexRed

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 12:20 pm
Does it come from within or does it originate outside of the self?

Should the person suppress what is within or guard themselves from the outside?

Which world does a person trust the outer world or the inner?

curtis73

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 02:26 pm
No such thing as sin in my opinion. Its a concotion of religion (along with satan) that is designed to create fear-based obedience.
Francis

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2008 02:44 pm
Sin, a very useful notion. So sin..usoidal.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:01 am
@curtis73,
curtis wrote-

Quote:
No such thing as sin in my opinion. Its a concotion of religion (along with satan) that is designed to create fear-based obedience.

Well--the alternative is no obedience or obedience based on some other effective mechanism besides fear such as "us all agreeing with each other"

What do you propose to arrive at a working system of obedience?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:11 am
@curtis73,
Call it sin, call it sociopath, "sin" is a human condition that exists whether people fear it or not.
neologist

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 04:38 pm
@RexRed,
". . . each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death." (James 1: 14,15)
RexRed

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 07:50 am
@neologist,
Quote:
". . . each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death." (James 1: 14,15)

What an excellent scripture Neo!

How does that fair against this one?

Romans 4:15
Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Comment:
...are both of these scriptures in one accord?
tenderfoot

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 06:35 pm
@RexRed,
You religious nuts sure do slather at the mouth when you can quote death and destruction of those that you call evil, can imagine you lot pouring over your bible, knowing you can superciliously spew it out to all and sundry and having a real turn on, plenty of that sort of s-it in the babble to crap on about.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 06:46 pm
For me sin is both simple and complex. My definition of sin is that which is harmful to oneself and/or others. I believe that definition can be supported within the scope and intent of Biblical content, but I don't think Biblical content is necessary to support it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 10:18 pm
@tenderfoot,
tenderfoot wrote:
You religious nuts sure do slather at the mouth when you can quote death and destruction of those that you call evil, can imagine you lot pouring over your bible, knowing you can superciliously spew it out to all and sundry and having a real turn on, plenty of that sort of s-it in the babble to crap on about.
Actually, my main reason for quoting the bible is to point out that the world (all of us) is in for better days.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:07 am
I wonder if people are voting this seemingly harmless thread down out of repression/suppression and their own secret "guilt" or "sin consciousness" that they cannot or have not fully resolved? SEEMS PLAUSABLE.

Perhaps the word "sin" provokes a similar type of response as a word like "Hitler"... People don't want to face and defeat the shadow of their own countenance.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:11 am
@tenderfoot,
Quote:

I may be a religious nut.. only God really knows. Smile I can only infer by your own words that you seemingly love and promote "evil"... Evil by any other name is not a rose... Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:38 am
@curtis73,
Quote:

Societal laws are evidence of the presence of "sin". When laws are no longer imposed by human judgment then fear will become extinct. How do we legislate love other than by unbiased universally impartial spiritual rebirth? People create social laws and attach them to the finger and authority of a God created in their own image to provoke conscience in natural spiritless Godless humans. These humans, who being devoid of freely given divine discernment and charity need training wheels to obtain the desire for spiritual enlightenment. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:08 am
This post probably belongs with a psychiatry or even with a philosophy tag but I knew scriptures would be tossed around so I put it in the religion category.

I really wanted to contrast the views of Sigmund Freud (and his daughter) versus that of Wilhelm Reich. Should we repress our inner "urges" or by exploring a dark nature (sin) within do we then find release from them? I figured most people would know where I was going with this. In the first few lines I wrote I was attempting (maybe poorly) to set the tone of this discussion.

I guess it is the "sin" word that became a stumbling block and threw this thread into the trash. I chalk this up to pure biblical bias, rank ignorance and progressive dogma. Seems to have proven a point though not the one I was really looking for.

I will be more careful to use words that have not been perverted by guilt conscious people. Maybe I should have worded where does "guilt consciousness" come from (which actually is the same exact thing without the "progressive" stigma.)

Like saying, Bambie died for our guilt. (is that better?) When will people get over their fear and bias of Biblical words, the day this happens then words will be liberated from vanity and fear mongering. The very thing that the word "sin" attempts to address.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:29 am
Another interesting note...

It is revealing that when words pass from one language to another, they are usually degraded and queered in meaning.

Along those lines....

Scientology, why are progressives so attracted to it? Well you take the word "Christianity" and replace it with "scientology" and the word "faith" and replace it with another word and so on.. then "progressives" (or are they democrats?) flock to the "science" (religion) thinking it is something "new".

Baaaahhd sheep...

Nothing "new" under the sun...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:46 am
Shall we come up with a new WORD for republicans? How about "moralists"? Laughing

(As if "progressive" implies a conservative cannot learn.. and change with culture...)
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:57 am
Just consider how Idaho's Rep. (moralist) Sen. Craig has become so "progressive"?
Twisted Evil
tenderfoot

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:22 pm
@RexRed,
If your god (whoever he-she is in your mind ) reads the crap you write, he-she... sure would say you were a religious nut. Where Do it say I love and premote evil? If anyone here premotes anything, it's you with your stupid godly quote's. I say your god premotes love as the same as the dripping blood from your gods red rose, the same as the love dished out to the poor sods in Auschwitz
Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:14 pm
@RexRed,
Sin come from right from the birth.
Animals had a better form of sins than the intellectual humanbeings.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 06:50 pm
@RexRed,
If by “sin” you mean disobeying the accepted rules of your socio-religious group, then the rules come from without, but the biological urges/desires that oppose them come from within. They come from survival instincts that are the product of millions of years of evolution. Biological evolution hasn’t kept up with cultural evolution, which is why there is conflict.

If you want to live in society, you must suppress some of your biological urges in order to avoid harming others. Staying away from things/situations that you know are “wrong” but tempt you irresistibly might help, also. If you want to "explore" some of your baser instincts, perhaps a therapist could help you do so safely.

Both outer and inner worlds may be untrustworthy at times. Use your best judgment (always subject to change as more info is acquired) about which is more reliable in any given situation.
0 Replies