Homosexuality- a christian perspective on 'love.'

momoends

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 01:40 am
@neologist,
aren´t you suppose to be the religious here? sex betwen brothers and sisters is consider incest and condemed by your church so...
second: are you really believing word by word of what´s said in a book know to be full of parables and tales meant to be underestood by an illitarate public? because if you believe in adam and eve you´ll also believe the world was created in six days, god giving himself the seventh to rest. bing bang and continents forming themselves from the original pangea and all that evolunionary discoveries done about human evolution have no credit for you?
neologist

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 10:41 am
@momoends,
You have some zany ideas about what the bible actually teaches.
Six days. . .
The Hebrew word 'yom' translated 'day' can be a period of indefinite length. This becomes apparent when days 1 through 6 are treated as a single 'yom' in Genesis 2:4. Add to that the observation that 'yom' 7 has not been recorded as having ended and the earth could be a kazillion years old.
momoends

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 11:25 am
@neologist,
ok solo it could took him longer than i week (i won´t argue about that) but you forgot to tell me about sex between brothers and sisters and big bang and all that
neologist

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 11:39 am
@momoends,
Big Bang?
I can't see where that is excluded from the first words of Genesis.
Brother - sister?
No doubt Adam's children married siblings. Tell me where that would have been forbidden.
momoends

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2016 12:05 pm
@neologist,
capí*tulo 18 de Leví*tico
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 11:49 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
Hello.
I origionaly posted this on the relationship and marriage board, but I'm going to post it here too.
I was wondering if a christian could possibly answer the following for me:

Obviously christianity condemns homosexuality, but what does it actually condemn? The act of sex, or the act of love?
And by love I don't mean friendship, father/son love, comradeship, admiration, warrior bonds between men or anything similar.
I mean the sort of love that is usually found inside a relationship.
Imagine a non-consummated relationship between a boy and girl, perhaps the sort of a couple who are enaged, but between two men.
What does christianity say of this? Why is this sort of love wrong?

Love has many definitions, because there are many different kinds of love. But Love in its purest form is unconditional. Something we will never be capable of giving. The problem with most of what you said is the conditions all of it contains. We are born into a conditional world. "I'll love you if...", " You can have what you want if..."

Or in the case of your examples, "I love you because your a man and I am physically attracted to men" or "I love you because your a woman and I am supposed to love women." Unconditional love is actually, literally, UN... Conditional. There is no circumstance or thing that can change it. The best example I've seen of this in life is the love you find when you have a dog.

If you are or ever have been so lucky to experience having a dog. It is a one of a kind thing that compares to no other. A dogs love touches a person's soul, because the love runs so deep. They are not just a companion that you feed twice a day, throw a table scrap to, and take out to potty.

They are the friend that always listens. No matter what your mood may be.

They are the one who doesn't judge you or criticize you, no matter what you say, or how you feel.

They don't measure their love for you based on your behavior, thoughts, or ideals.

They are the one who senses things about you that sometimes you don't even realize just yet. Like the depth of your saddens over losing someone. Or exuberant joy over a promotion at work.

If you grieve, they will grieve with you. If you rejoice, they will rejoice with you. But most of all... They will always... Always... Love you, and be faithful to you whether you deserve it or not.

In thinking about all of this I don't think that love, what kind of love, or who has the love for who is really the issue. All of our love is conditional in some way and can't really be compared to unconditional love. But... From the "Christian" perspective, if it must be labeled... Think about this:

In Gen 1:27 it says:

27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Assuming this is true... (because I am making a point here from the perspective of those who believe, not creating a new argument on creationism) That would mean the Creator has both male and female attributes. I'm not talking about physical attributes either. We are so much more than that.

I'm talking about the unseen attributes. As an example: Men tend to be equipped with less emotional reaction to things which is an advantage that gives them the ability to think and see clearer in stressful situations... And fix them.

In women though it is a strength as well. Perhaps not right in the stressful situation. However, prior it can be an asset in that women are more sensitive to changes in their emotional atmosphere than men tend to be. This can help them detect molehills before they become mountains. After a stressful situation it can be an asset in the aiding of healing or mending broken pieces.

If you look at the differences and similarities in men and women, each ones weakness serves as a strength for the other. We were designed to complete each other, and through that completion to multiply and be fruitful. Now, the being fruitful issue aside, as it has been used to beat people nearly to death by religion, lets talk about the completion side of it.

All of the physical things aside, a man cannot complete a man, nor can a woman complete a woman.

0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 12:12 pm
Really, its not just Christianty that condemns homosexual or other improper relationships. The Creator himself makes his position on this subject very clear. While the Bible never condemns proper loving and intimate relations between a man and a woman who are married to each other, it does not paint in a positive light this same kind of relationship between two men. Note the point made at 1 Cor 6:9 where it states:  

"Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality,"

Note the expression, "those who submit to homosexual acts". This encompases those who may not necessarily be homosexual but who engage in experementation when it comes to various relationships.

The Creator here makes his position clear that he does not view in a favorable light these types of relationships.. If we view the Bible as having the authority in our lives that it should have, then we will accept the Creator's view on this matter over that of ourselves or any other human.
momoends

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 01:51 am
@anthony1312002,
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the Kingdom of God? Be not deceived: Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor the effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind.
this is the closest translation to the original.... so, according to this, me being a lesbian am an innocent in the eyes of god Smile
Nova Flare Q

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:34 am
@momoends,
"According to this, me being a lesbian am an innocent in the eyes of god Very Happy"
-Momoends, (of the Roman leather-bound book, The Tome of Travesties)

"You have some zany ideas about what the bible actually teaches."
-Neologist, (of the Word of God)

Also, this: http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200272757
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 05:52 am
@momoends,
Actually the term effeminate is in fact not the closest translation to the original as is used in the KJV and some other Bibles. What is stated by the Creator at Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 make his position quite clear on this subject. And at Matthew 5:17 Jesus shows that this is his position also.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 06:00 am
@anthony1312002,
Lots of stuff is outlawed in Leviticus, like shaving, eating fat, not brushing your hair, tearing your clothes, touching pork, picking up grapes, wearing clothing made of mixed fabrics, not standing up when in the presence of elderly people and a load of other mad bollocks.

Do you do all of that, or do you just cherry pick Leviticus to justify your own bigotry?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 09:54 am
If I'm reading the OT correctly, the mosaic law was a result of Moses asking God on behalf of the people- 'We are not sure what you want of us, just give us rules to go by and we'll follow them'.

God responded by saying, 'You want to live by rules? I'll give you some frig'n rules.'
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 04:40 pm
@izzythepush,
Tattoos too. And sleeping with a menstruating women.

And on the topic of menstruation in Leviticus -

Quote:
28'When she becomes clean from her discharge, she shall count off for herself seven days; and afterward she will be clean. 29'Then on the eighth day she shall take for herself two turtledoves or two young pigeons and bring them in to the priest, to the doorway of the tent of meeting. 30'The priest shall offer the one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. So the priest shall make atonement on her behalf before the LORD because of her impure discharge.'…

If the we ever do become a christian theocracy I'm opening a pigeon/turtledove franchise.
auroreII

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 05:20 pm
"If the we ever do become a christian theocracy I'm opening a pigeon/turtledove franchise."

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/120821-10
Sorry hingehead, Jesus died as the perfect atonement for our sins. No more need for turtledove/pigeon sacrifices.
hingehead

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 07:32 pm
@auroreII,
Um, citing an A2K thread as verification of your statement is, um, less than confidence instilling.

Can you at least point me at a bible passage that says Leviticus can be safely ignored without upsetting you know who?

Because 'you know who' can be a little unstable - once he condemned an entire species to live outside his protected garden because a girl ate some fruit, and another time drowned an entire planet save for a couple of each species (and a couple more for homo sapiens) and then there was that time he saved one guy and his family by evacuating them before he destroyed their city and killed the inhabitants - and even then turned the guy's wife into a pillar of salt because she had the audacity to tale a look to see what the heck was happening to the city.

With friends like that....
0 Replies

kristihendricks

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 08:40 pm
@momoends,
Can I ask where in the Bible you found that reference?
kristihendricks

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 08:42 pm
@izzythepush,
If you think that homosexuality would be considered okay in today's culture like you were saying earlier-then why would God create men and women designed to have sex together?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 10:08 pm
@kristihendricks,
kristihendricks wrote:
why would God create men and women designed to have sex together?

making a lot of assumptions right there
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 02:37 am
@kristihendricks,
Your own twisted beliefs are just that. I'd rather stick to facts than indulge your warped fantasies.
0 Replies

kristihendricks

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 10:47 am
@contrex,
First of all, the age that the Bible was written in was very literary and the people living in that region did incredible things like construct pyramids. And how can you say that the Bible is filled with nonsense when it is proven to be more reliable and more historically accurate then other historical record documents written during the same time period?