McTag

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:34 am
Boy is that some opening ceremony or what?

McGentrix

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 07:22 am
Anyone know a good place to watch live online?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:49 am
I saw the beginning, then the end of today's ceremony. But I recorded all of it.

The BBC carried the whole thing live (no commercial breaks) over here.

It was truly amazing, and very impressive. I get easily emotional, even when I know my strings are being pulled. This did it for me.
High-tech, no-expense-spared, no detail overlooked, astounding.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 12:23 pm
It's certainly a spectacle to behold. I look forward to watching them tonight on the NBC replay.

I could not find anyone that had it online and as far as i can tell, NBC has a monopoly on broadcast rights in the US. Sad
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 01:47 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's certainly a spectacle to behold. I look forward to watching them tonight on the NBC replay.

I could not find anyone that had it online and as far as i can tell, NBC has a monopoly on broadcast rights in the US. Sad

There's been a US correspondent commenting on the irony that America was one of the few countries in the world where you could not watch the opening ceremony life on TV...

Very Happy
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 01:49 pm
Yeah, I find that annoying. My wife said she watched a lot of it at lunchtime on the Canadian channel we get.
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 01:54 pm
They programmed it for "prime time" which I guess they'd promised their advertisers they'd do? Razz
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 02:37 pm
katya8 wrote:
They programmed it for "prime time" which I guess they'd promised their advertisers they'd do? Razz

Eh- they started at 8 pm on 08.08.08. (and they needed it to be dark, for the fireworks, so couldn't start earlier)

Seemingly that number is auspicious in China. But maybe you knew that already.

Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 02:41 pm
McTag wrote:
katya8 wrote:

Eh- they started at 8 pm on 08.08.08. (and they needed it to be dark, for the fireworks, so couldn't start earlier)

Seemingly that number is auspicious in China. But maybe you knew that already.

Smile

I'm sure Katya was referring to the American networks, who chose not to show the ceremonies in real time.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 11:59 pm
Oh, okay. Silly of me. I was fixed on that big 8
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 12:02 am
The Independent, modestly, called it

THE GREATEST SHOW THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/news-and-features/the-greatest-show-the-world-has-ever-seen-889262.html
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 12:09 am
I thought NBC's coverage here in the States was pretty terrible--every time you'd really like to see something from a distance, they're doing a stupid close-up! I mean, practically every part of the whole deal was designed to be seen from a distance, and here's the freakin camera right up next to the performers so that all you can see is the individual dancer... Lame. Plus the announcers never, ever shut up. I just wanted to hear the music sometimes, you know?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 12:18 am
cypher I dont think you can blame NBC for the camera work. It is my understanding that all the rights holders take the same feed from the Olympic broadcaster.

I thought it was great reminicent of Sydney with flying people, charcters the little girl flying etc, but of course I woold think that.

Fabulous stuff china! Well done!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 06:14 am
Slideshow of opening ceremony here.

Video highlights here
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 06:17 am
The US has already lost one...tourist that is.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/09/olympics.murder/index.html

Quote:
BEIJING, China (CNN) -- A Chinese attacker stabbed two Americans, killing the man and wounding the woman, who were attending the Olympic Games on Saturday, according to the U.S. Olympic Committee
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 07:19 am
I actually watched the entire opening. If I had been present at the 1936 Olympic opening in Nuremberg, I'm sure I would have noticed the many similarities...... Razz
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 08:05 am
Yeah... there were parts that reminded me of the North Korean mass games...
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 12:51 pm
I had seen live ( In German ARD) the spectacular opening ceremony.

Remarkable
Fantastic,
are the words that come to my mind.
USA has been belittled as a puny pathetic soup sipping super power.
I have only one mission and that is to expose the arrogant american politics.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 01:08 pm
A Tabloid in Germany BIL has this view about American TV

Television audience defrauded! American sports fans waited in vain yesterday morning for live coverage from Peking.

The television network NBC carried the Olympic games opening ceremonies in a canned delayed broadcast. The goal: higher viewer numbers.

NBC shelled out 588 million Euros (894 million dollars) for the exclusive U.S. rights to broadcast the Olympics. They never missed a chance to talk up the opening ceremonies, even on their breakfast TV programs.

Their competition, on the other hand, switched to their reporters in Peking, but naturally couldn't show any live pictures. Instead, the reporters were asked to give the audience their impressions of the spectacle in narrative form.

In the meantime, video clips of the opening ceremony showed up on the Internet portal YouTube but were quickly removed, apparently after NBC intervened.

Americans were hopping mad and vented their anger via various online fora.

A few cable customers were able to watch the live broadcast if they received the Canadian CBC network.

http://watchingamerica.com/News/3547/nbc-swindles-olympic-viewers/
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 01:16 pm
I loved the opening ceremonies. It was truly a spectacle. Pull my strings, i don't care. The little earthquake victim who marched in with Yao Ming was tooooooooo cute! I just wanted to eat him up. And the story of him clawing his way out of the rubble and then saving his classmates because, as a hall monitor, that was his job, was absolutely amazing. Sure, it could have been a bunch of baloney but I don't care. I love it.
0 Replies