The Olympics begin in that polluted crap hole, Beijing.

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 02:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I think it's good to worry about their standards and push for them to improve them. They are working on raising their standards to those of the countries they are exporting to and the interaction with the rest of the world has a positive impact on them.

The BBC wrote:
China's State Council, or Cabinet, said the nationwide crackdown on woefully corrupt practices in the country's drug and food industry would compel companies to adopt "standards used in food-importing countries".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6638113.stm

The toy recalls and food/drug scandals are pushing their standards higher and making positive change to their culture.
Mame

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 05:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You're dreaming, boy.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 05:47 pm
@Mame,
Care to elaborate, girl?

Edit: I'm claiming that the Olympics and other such interaction with China will help it advance. Here's an example of what I mean.
Residents of Beijing are so pleased with the clean air they enjoyed during the Olympics that they are petitioning the government to keep stringent pollution restrictions in place.

Mame

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Would that be any improvement to the way their petitions to demonstrate were heard?? lol

Yeah, the govt of China really listens to the great unwashed. It's like a Borg society. They couldn't care less about what substandard materials they send our way because a) they're corrupt, b) they have no standards of their own, and c) did I say they're corrupt? They have no scruples.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:47 pm
@Mame,
Well there's no reasoning with that kind of opinion, it sounds like you have your mind up about China and I can live with failing to make you consider its validity.
Mame

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'd like to make sure you're clear that I'm talking about the Government of China, not the people. And I think most, if not all, governmental systems are in the same boat, yours included.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 10:10 pm
@Mame,
Everytime I hear a vitriolic rant against Chinese these days I see the that disclaimer. Sometimes it even comes with the "I even have some friends..." cliché.

But on the face of it it doesn't make much sense, many of the things you are ranting about are problems within the Chinese society where the government is actually much more forward thinking than much of its people.

For example, quality control neglect and corruption and fraud are very common elements to Chinese society, and their government recognizes the damage that these criminals do to the country's reputation and have cracked down on it. The government is ahead of their corporate culture right now, and a big reason is the pressure that economic contagion provides.

The fact that China is exporting to the US is raising their standards because the US market has higher standards. China is making progress and will continue to despite the xenophobia that drives this kind of vitriol.
0 Replies