What are the effects of ear plugs?

srb

Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:31 pm
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103463398
this article might help, there is an easy treatment, that can be repeated, it's called the Epley maneuver
0 Replies

yogeshinteractive

Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:36 am
Earplugs are small devices that can be inserted into the ear canal to protect the wearer from noise, dust, water or even strong winds. People sometimes wear them at night, in hospitals and during long flights to improve their sleep, but this has its drawbacks, particularly if the earplugs are used frequently.
Pushing an earplug too far into the ear canal results in an increase in the pressure of the air inside, as explained by Sound of Tinnitus. This can cause discomfort and pain during sleep and can happen unnoticed at first as the wearer turns over in bed and presses down on their ear. Foam earplugs, which expand slowly to block out noise, can steadily increase the air pressure inside the ear canal. If pressure develops and causes pain, the earplug should be slowly removed rather than pulled straight out to prevent damage to the ear drum

0 Replies

roger

Mon 28 Jan, 2013 03:57 am
I would rather wear ear plugs than exercise.
0 Replies

Charlotteann

Sun 3 Feb, 2013 02:07 pm
The vertigo may also be due to calcium bits that fall off the follicules (?) in the inner chamber and wander into one of the canals which upsets the ear's gyroscope - gives a false balance message. The brain gets different data from each ear and does not cope well. Smile A physio can evaluate that in about 5 minutes and fix it in another 10 min. Worth checking out.
0 Replies

Admin23

Tue 5 Feb, 2013 02:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
I use hard sponge ear plugs every night as my husband snores bad so that I could have a proper sleep. This type of ear plugs are very good, it's got blue string permanently attached to each other so that you don't lose the pair. I had some spare soft sponge ear plugs I got from the Chemist. I gave it to my friend to use when she went on holiday with us. As she shared the room with my husband and I, I told her that y husband snores bad, so she might like to use some ear plugs. Unfortunately, while she's got it on one evening, and decided to take it off, one of the ear plugs tore in half and the other half lodged in her ear. I had to rescue it out carefully using a tweezer. Luckily, I got it out for her with no bother. This is a warning for people using soft sponge ear plugs! Incidentally, I suffer from Vertigo myself, and have been suffering before I even started using ear plugs and live with my husband.
0 Replies

Jordonmom

Thu 24 Oct, 2013 08:29 pm
@klmason1025,
I am having the exact same symptoms you describe...feeling like I just got off of a boat...even when lying down! And the feeling of movement after stopping in a car, etc. Have you found a solution yet? I have myasthenia gravis, but doc says this is not related. Getting very weary of being "dizzy" or off balance all the time!
0 Replies

Happiness For You

Fri 25 Oct, 2013 04:11 am
@aperson,
Long tym use of ear plugs can damage ears.
0 Replies

Mamatoamunckin

Mon 10 Aug, 2015 04:58 pm
I too have been using foam ear plugs for years as my partner is a heavy snorer. Even if I'm in bed alone I've become accustomed to using them as any kind of noise prevents sleep. The only effects I get are occasionally extremely sore ears from either having them into far or pulling them out too quick. The pain can be quite excruciating. Other than that though no problems. They're a godsend for people married to snorers!!
0 Replies

Shyuna

Fri 15 Jan, 2016 07:46 pm
@aperson,
Has anyone looked to see if the ear plugs are made in China or Taiwan? I notice USA made.....no virtigo, overseas.....VERTIGO, ITCHY EARS.
IT'S IMPORTANT
0 Replies

132blackrs

Fri 29 Jan, 2016 05:05 am
@crestline 39,
I have suffered with occasional bout of bppv for years now which always occurs during the night. I have however learnt to manage it quite well using the Epley manuevee. I am also a regular user of foam ear plugs as I work shifts and I have noticed that they can sometimes cause some dizziness. My guess is that by pushing the plugs into the outer ear canal, it can disturb the canalith in the inner ear resulting in vertigo and dizziness. It probably doesn't take much to do this and the effect can vary from being a little bit unsteady on your feet to violent dizziness and the dreaded nystagmus (jumping of the eyes). I am going to try and limit the use of the plugs to just night shifts and see how I get on. I rather be woken by the post man than a bout of vertigo. 😀
0 Replies

hatem

Sun 17 Apr, 2016 09:17 am
@aperson,
just stop wearing earplugs for two or three days and leave your ear alone (donot even touch it) and don't let water go inside and donot even clean it ; for the normal ear wax(wax prevent bacteria and infection) to fix the irritation that cause this blood
and please be gentile with your ear and donot clean it daily just once every two week or even a month the inner wax is good for ear health
0 Replies

Ayzzie

Fri 23 Dec, 2016 10:16 pm
@orenlee,
Hi how are you now? I have the same symptoms you had, i been wearing in ear phone everyday last two months ago i feel dizzy, head pressure in temple, dull headache(on and off) and neck pain a little. I just found out lately that it is the in ear phone that makes me dizzy plus i had colds so now i still suffer from dizzy spells, headache and pressure on my temple. Is it something about in my ear or something. I havent had done test yet only blood test last month it came out my wbc is high does it indicate i had infection? Please message if anyone had the same symptoms. I just need some advice
0 Replies

fresco

Sat 24 Dec, 2016 03:10 am
book mark
0 Replies

badra100

Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:10 pm
Okay DO NOT get the fake plugs, that are just studs.
Very lame, lol. Stretch your ears. =] If you let your ears heal properly and stretch them slowly it doesn't even hurt. I'd recommend going to a size 2 or 0. Anything much bigger starts to look bad.
0 Replies

JosephAdsilg

Fri 3 Feb, 2017 05:46 am
@aperson,
Ear plugs can be used for protection from noise or water. These small, ear-canal shaped devices can be made of foam, plastic or wax and fit into the ear canal, according to Occupational Health & Safety, a health resource site dedicated to workplace safety. While these plugs offer benefits for those who require special protection, prolonged or incorrect use does carry some risks associated with ear plus use. Being aware of these risks can prevent you from causing damage to your ears and hearing.
0 Replies

josephdfox5

Mon 25 Mar, 2019 01:58 pm
@aperson,
Earplugs are general safe. However, they do come with a few potential side effects, especially if you use them regularly. Over time, earplugs can push ear wax back into your ear, causing a buildup. This can cause several problems, including temporary hearing loss and tinnitus.
0 Replies

rajvardhansharma

Tue 26 Mar, 2019 04:53 am
@aperson,
Ear plugs can damage your ear and can cause you difficulty in hearing.
0 Replies

priyavermadental

Thu 28 Mar, 2019 12:25 am
@aperson,
LISTENING PROBLEM IS LOW
tsarstepan

Thu 28 Mar, 2019 09:23 am
@priyavermadental,
priyavermadental wrote:

LISTENING PROBLEM IS LOW

Is that why you're YELLING in this post?
0 Replies

foothillanesthesia

Fri 29 Mar, 2019 03:47 am
@aperson,
Continuous use of ear plug will definitely cause bad effect on ears as we know the volume of plug is normally very high.