CF

Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:39 pm
I am interested in anybody taking the new drug Forteo. Is anyone having any side effects, or how do you feel about the Black Box Warning?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 132,298 • Replies: 239
Topic Closed
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 12 Sep, 2003 03:37 pm
CF, Here's a link on the drug Forteo. Hope it helps. http://www.drugs.com/index.cfm?pageID=0&search=forteo&searchtype=internet
0 Replies

TheyLoveShellBeach

Fri 2 Jan, 2004 01:46 pm
Re: forteo
CF wrote:
I am interested in anybody taking the new drug Forteo. Is anyone having any side effects, or how do you feel about the Black Box Warning?

Hello: I just read your question, and am presently taking Forteo now for the second month. I don't believe I am experiencing any side effects. I do not have any knowledge to what you are referencing to, with regard to the "Black Box Warning". Could you please explain what it means? Are you presently taking Forteo, and are you experiencing any side effects?
cicerone imposter

Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:14 pm
Hi TLSB, WELCOME to A2K.
0 Replies

mlollis

Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:21 pm
forteo
I saw your September 03 discussion concerning side effects of Forteo. I just began this medication and am interested in learning about your experience since the messages were posted last September, or, or the experience of anyone else taking this drug.
0 Replies

fonnie griffitts

Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:54 pm
forteo

This is my 3rd month taking Forteo with no side effects.. The black

box warning I chose to ignore ...Rats were given large doses of

Forteo for a long period of time and I am not a rat. Also , I have

a relative who is a professor at Yale and she did a lot of research

for me , so I am going to continue to take Forteo and hope it helps.....

Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:56 pm
fonnie, WELCOME to A2K.
0 Replies

Wilso

Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:33 am
What sort of drug is it? ie, what's it used to treat?
0 Replies

fonnie griffitts

Thu 22 Jan, 2004 01:39 am
[B
]

Forteo is for the treament of osteoporosis.. Laughing
0 Replies

maryjane

Fri 30 Jan, 2004 06:21 pm
forteo
I JUST STARTED THE DRUG FORTEO. THE ONLY SIDE EFFECT I AM HAVING IS A HEADACHE. BUT LAST JUST FOR A SHORT TIME. I REALLY HOPE THIS DRUG WORK. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOME ONE TAKING THIS MEDICINE

THANKS,
MARYJANE
0 Replies

kkenty

Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:52 pm
Re: forteo
CF wrote:

I am 60 and have been told Forteo is my last resort. I've been reading about it and am not really convinced. I have lost 9% of spine and 12% of bone density this past year alone, but don't want to be on the bottom of the learning curve with this drug. Have you heard from folks regarding Forteo? kk
0 Replies

Piute

Wed 11 Feb, 2004 06:28 am
forteo
I am into my 1st month on forteo. No side effects so far. I am my doctors youngest patient on forteo. (55) my lower back is that of a person 80 I chose to ignore the black box warning as I also am not a rat, and rats have different bone structure's than humans. Their bones are always growing and mine has stopped. Its like the last resort to build bone, and I would not hesitate to take it. I thought I was getting hives into my first week of shots, but it turned out it was from antibiotics I was taking. I have heard nothing but good results even after 3 months of taking the shot. I don't like to have to take it for 2 years, but its better than nothing. My bones can fracture or break at any time, and I dont like that feeling. Good luck to all thats taking it. Keep me posted on your first test result after 90 days
Wilso

Wed 11 Feb, 2004 07:04 am
http://www.medinfo.co.uk/conditions/osteoporosis.html

Information about osteoporosis. I was curious.
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:10 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1508

There are at least 3 threads on A2K on this medication, at the moment. Very Happy
0 Replies

catmom99

Sun 15 Feb, 2004 03:25 pm
Forteo
I have been taking Forteo injections for one year and my latest Dexa scan shows an improvement in bone mass of 9% in the femural neck and a 16% increase in the lumbar spine. Have never had any side effects.
0 Replies

Miller

Sun 15 Feb, 2004 04:09 pm
Re: Forteo
catmom99 wrote:
I have been taking Forteo injections for one year and my latest Dexa scan shows an improvement in bone mass of 9% in the femural neck and a 16% increase in the lumbar spine. Have never had any side effects.

How often do you take the medication? Why injections?

Are you significantly post-menopausal? Was your bone loss significant at the time of your first administartion of the drug? Smile
roger

Sun 15 Feb, 2004 06:02 pm
Catmom? THE catmom from abuzz? If so, glad you could make it.

akaRoger
0 Replies

catmom99

Mon 16 Feb, 2004 06:39 am
My first DEXA scan indicated severe osteoporosis in the lumbar spine. I am two years menopausal.
Forteo is only available in injectable form and it is injected daily. The needles are very small so there is no pain involved.
I might add that osteoporosis is prevalent in my family. My mother had it, an aunt had very severe osteoporosis and some of my cousins have osteoporosis. My aunt has told by her doctor that she had the worst case he had even seen.
0 Replies

Miller

Mon 16 Feb, 2004 08:42 am
catmom99 wrote:
My first DEXA scan indicated severe osteoporosis in the lumbar spine. I am two years menopausal.
Forteo is only available in injectable form and it is injected daily. The needles are very small so there is no pain involved.
I might add that osteoporosis is prevalent in my family. My mother had it, an aunt had very severe osteoporosis and some of my cousins have osteoporosis. My aunt has told by her doctor that she had the worst case he had even seen.

Very interesting! I would almost suspect that this med will not be popular because of the daily injections, that are needed. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

carolkray

Tue 24 Feb, 2004 02:16 pm
Forteo Black Box
I'm 52 with severe osteoporsis (T factor = -3.8 for lower back, -3.5 at the neck and -2.8 at the hip). I had a total hystorectomy at 26, including overies, and was told I didn't need HRT because the pituatary gland can make up for the estogen loss. It looks like it was bad advise, as no one else in my family has osteoporosis. My bones are equivalent to an 87 yr. old. I've been advised that FORTEO injections for two years are my best, most aggresive approach to treatment, but reminded that I have other, less agreesive options. I'm opting for the most aggressive treatment: FORTEO.

I'm not too concerned about the Blackbox warning, because, as other postings mentioned, the results were in lab rats, whose skeletons never fuse. For those who want to know, here is the BLACKBOX:

"WARNING: In male and female rats, teriparatide caused an increase in the incidence of osteosarcoma (a malignant bone tumor) that was dependent on dose and treatment duration. The effect was observed at systemic exposures to teriparatide ranging from 3 to 60 times the exposure in humans given a 20-mcg dose. Because of the uncertain relevance of teh rat osteosarcoma finding to humans, teripartide should be prescribed only to patients for whom the potential benefits are considered to outweigh the potential risk. Teriparatide should not be perscribed for patients who are at increased baseline risk for osteosarcoma (including those with Paget's disease of bone or unexplained elevations of alkaline phosphatas, open epiphyses, or prior radiation therapy involving the skeleton) (see WARNINGS and PRECAUTIONS, Carcinogenesis)."

I had lab work today to determine if I have celiac disease, a gluton intolerance that causes abdominal pain and diarhea, because it can limit calcium and vitamin D absorbtion (my son has it, so good posibility that I do, too). I get my training on self-injections next week and am anxious to start the injections. I travel and am concerned about being able to maintain the constant temperature for the pen, between 36 & 46 degrees (F).

The only negative I heard was a pain similar to growing pains, in the calves, but it only lasted a couple of weeks for an older patient. I'm grateful that we have something that has had such remarkable results. Wish me luck!
0 Replies