My Big Fat Greek Wedding a Big Fat Bust

Roberta

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:25 am
I finally got to see My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I caught in on cable. I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it.

Will someone, anyone, tell me why it was such a megahit? I can usually figure these things out, even if I don't like the movie. But this has me baffled. Question

Trite. Predictable. Filled with stereotypes. Annoying characters. Etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,784 • Replies: 65
No top replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 01:27 am
A friend of mine seen it said it sucked so I never watched it. It never looked good to me anyway.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:37 am
I haven't seen it, but thanks for the heads up. I hate wasting time watching a bad movie.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:59 am
I actually liked it !!

But then I always like feel good movies where an ugly duckling turns into a swan. Makes me feel that there might still be some hope for me Smile

Not to mention the leading guy was a hunk !!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 04:27 am
Probable future daughter-in-law told stepson a while back 'We don't have time to be engaged!'

BFGW is what she meant.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 04:36 am
a big fat disappointment.
i can see how a greek would enjoy it but to me it was just horrible.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 05:56 am
y110man, You think a Greek person would like it? Maybe.

Montana, Glad to save you the time and trouble.

SealPoet, LOL.

Gautam, Feel good? Okay. But aren't there better feel-good movies? This would have gotten half a thumb up from me as a tv movie. And there are plenty of hunks in Hollywood. Not worth the price of admission. Not even worth the hour and a half I spent watching.

Big Bronx cheer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 06:34 am
trotal agreement. Everyso often a movie shows up that gets all kinds of spin and generates a following that its almost sacriligeous to dis it.
greek Wedding and Crouching Tiger are my 2 top movies for a'whats all the shouting about'?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 06:50 am
I avoided it, but might catch it on digital cable with the wife. She wants to see what the hype was all about, but it seems that it is much ado about nothing. I am certain I'll hate it. I did enjoy Crouching Tiger though, but I like anything with Kung Fu in it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:28 am
I liked it. I didn't think it really had anything to do with being Greek. I've been involved with weddings from all kinds of cultures that have been like that. Families can cause all kinds of crap when it comes to weddings. It definitely makes eloping seem like the only viable choice. Hmmmm, so I guess I liked it, because it validated quite a few of my thoughts about families and weddings.

Besides - there are all those great shots of places I spend time at.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:31 am
Now 'Monsoon Wedding' was a good flick...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:33 am
I loved Monsoon Wedding !!! It was sooooooo typical of an Indian wedding from my community !
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:45 am
I dug Crouching Tiger...that's a good movie.

But nothing tops the best of all time: Weekend at Bernies II.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:49 am
It was an okay light comedy which did reveal a lot about Greek culture but not a film I'd return to as the storyline was too typical. The spin-off sitcom die coming out of the starting gate indicating this was a one-trick-pony.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:14 am
Gautam, I've seen 'Monsoon Wedding' twice now...love it. Also, 'feel-good' for me was 'Bend it Like Beckham', which I am certain has a whole lot more charm than that over-bloated Greek wedding thingy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:20 am
Almost anything is more charming than any kind of bloated wedding. however, the reality for a lot of us, is exposure to/ participation in, bloated weddings. i'm facing attendance/participation in 2 right now - 1 armenian/egyptian, the other portuguese/newfie. 600+ guests at each, hysterics by the mother and grandmother of the bride in both cases, already. My Big Fat Greek Wedding speaks to all of us who've survived, by our fingernails sometimes, those bloated events. If you don't laugh, you'll just have to cry ... again and again and again.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:23 am
My favorite feel good movie is either "Seven," or "Kids."
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:24 am
Big weddings are common in India as well. Specially in my community.

My ynger bro's wedding had abt 2000 guests
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:25 am
thud!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:29 am
I thought Greek Wedding was funny. It reminded me of my big family, and it had some cute moments. Comedies don't have to be deep. It had a bunch of popular movie themes woven into one movie:

ugly girl gets pretty
woman gains independence
separating from tradition
family
the ol' who thought she would get married
ethnic explanation/exploitation

but it was very cute, I think I identified with the main character and identified with her problems. It was very light handed humor.

I heard the sitcom was terrible. What were they thinking?

Everyone here has seen Shrek, right?
0 Replies