French man with two asses surprises Swedish officials

nimh

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 10:10 am
Quote:
French man with two asses surprises Swedish officials

Published: 30 Jun 08 17:51 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/12748/

http://www.thelocal.se/articleImages/12748.jpg

Customs officials in Gothenburg were at a loss as to how to deal with Jacques Abdelaziz and his two four-legged pack animals when the trio wandered off a ferry boat from Denmark on Sunday afternoon.

Abdelaziz, who hails from Brittany in northwestern France, has been wandering around Europe for the past two months with his two donkeys, Nounou and Toutoune, according to the Göteborg-Posten (GP) newspaper.

And the journey had been going smoothly, if not slowly, until the pilgrims landed on Swedish shores, whereupon they were met by requests for permits and paperwork.

"I had thought about just going to Stockholm and then heading back but now I'm not sure what's going to happen. All they care about are documents," Abdelaziz said to GP as he nodded toward the customs checkpoint.

While customs officials weren't unsympathetic to the Frenchman's plight, they explained that he lacked important documents required by Sweden's Board of Agriculture, including a veterinary examination costing €250 ($395), a sum which Abdelaziz wasn't prepared to pay.

The whole incident left the animal's owner feeling frustrated, regretting his decision to come to Sweden.

"If the boat had still been here I would have probably gone back to Denmark at once," he said.

After much deliberating, port officials remained stumped as to the precise set of rules governing the temporary import of two asses to Sweden from another EU member state.

"Who was it who said that we had common EU rules?" said one, according to GP.

"Where are the voluntary powers in society which can arrange a roof over one's head and a spot of grass?" asked another.

Finally, harbour personnel decided to take up a collection to pay for the donkeys' veterinary examination in hopes that the wandering Frenchman would overlook the bureaucratic snafu.

"We couldn't just send him back to Denmark. It's actually a little shameful, there's nothing human behind this. That's just the way it is when everything hinges on a bunch of paper," said a harbour worker who wished to remain anonymous.

The vet arrived, Nounou and Toutoune passed with flying colours, the trio was once again on its way.

By Monday Abdelaziz was heading east towards Borås, traveling about 30 kilometres a day.

"Every day I start a new life," he quipped to GP.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,875 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 10:13 am
Rather lovely story.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 10:56 am
Bureaucracy is asinine, I'd say...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 11:02 am
Francis wrote:
Bureaucracy is asinine, I'd say...

Yes it is. However, sadly it is often necessary. In this case at least reason appears to have prevailed. An amusing story.

I think Nimh was rather proud of his title!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 11:03 am
Oh. My mistake. I read that as "faces", and thought it was about a politician.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 11:05 am
roger wrote:
Oh. My mistake. I read that as "faces", and thought it was about a politician.

Then it would not make the headlines..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 11:16 am
True - sad, but true.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 04:42 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I think Nimh was rather proud of his title!

I did not come up with the title I'm afraid, that was more of an objet trouvé. I was a little chuffed at my poll tho :wink:
0 Replies